R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Schwaben found DTCs A2 & A1 - Window fuses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 02:29 PM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Schwaben found DTCs A2 & A1 - Window fuses?

Continuing my windows-won't-go-down problem, I checked for error codes with my just received Schwaben BMW/MINI scanner and among a bunch of light open circuit codes in the ZKE Central Body Electronics module it had A2 (Fuse Power Window Front Passenger) and A1 (Fuse Power Window Driver). I had previously checked the window fuses 1 and 19 in the kick panel fuse box and they checked OK. Are there any other window fuses besides these two?

I also tried the Schwaben "Active test/component activation/power windows" test and when set to "activate" each window gives a double click but no movement - the same as when the toggle switches are pressed. I've also tried the hold-the-switch-and-whack-the-door-card-above-the-speaker procedure on both doors but it didn't work for me and the "convenience mode" of holding the key fob unlock button opens the sun roof but not either window.

SO...are there other fuses for the windows that I can check?

Also, a young man looking at my Mini at a recent British car show told me that BMW had set a limit on the number of times you can erase codes in the main module, which he called the footwell module because of its location, and that if code erasures exceed the limit they can no longer be erased and the only solution is to buy a new module from Mini for big $$$. Therefore I didn't erase any of the codes the Schwaben found. Anyone know if this it true and if so is there a way to know how many codes have been erased and how many you can still erase without trashing a module?

And finally, is Hatch Talk the right place for these questions? Or is the stock problems/issues where I should ask?

Old 06-19-2018, 06:01 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Why Don't My Power Windows Work?
Fuses are on driver's footwell.

No, there is no such limit to erase trouble codes.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:25 AM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by H_C
Why Don't My Power Windows Work?
Fuses are on driver's footwell.

No, there is no such limit to erase trouble codes.
F1 and F19 are the fuses I checked and they were good. So,... no other fuses in the window circuits?

The young man who told me there was a limit on the number of code erases said he had run into that in his work as a mechanic on Minis. He was very clear about it. So...no one else has experienced that?