R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Finally Got Myself an R53...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 04:45 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
Finally Got Myself an R53...

...and I'm absolutely ecstatic!

Great fun it really is. I've only driven it 600 some odd miles so far and most of that was the 500 mile highway ride back home,
but I know I'm in love and she's a keeper.

It was a little frustrating trying to find a non-sunroof specimen and took a little time, a process which wore on my patience and I started considering alternatives like a Ford Fiesta ST or Volvo C30 --- and I did almost get a '13 R56 JCW because they're so much easier to find with slicktop and I love the way they look, but some aspects turned me off and knew in my heart that I needed the more raw analog R53, so I stuck to the program...

...even buying little odds 'n ends before even owning a MINI as a sort of talisman to bring some luck,
so I was already emotionally invested and committed LOL
Name:  8IRyDcN.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  77.1 KB
Name:  sL0NPfP.jpg
Size:  107.9 KB
Name:  Lm8OmUg.jpg
Size:  107.2 KB
Name:  fxwbRor.jpg
Size:  100.7 KB
Finally Got Myself an R53...-q4b4voe.jpg
Finally Got Myself an R53...-qdxwbvh.jpg
Finally Got Myself an R53...-8prdfeu.jpg
Finally Got Myself an R53...-kehdmmh.jpg

Got an '06 JCW, sitting at 99k right now so deffo gonna need some general resto maint. and etc,
still dirty with road grime, but I'm gonna give a good wash this weekend and also try to remove most of the cosmoline which sort of irks me...

...looking much forward to getting to know this car!
Finally Got Myself an R53...-jlugxej.jpg
Finally Got Myself an R53...-o2ftjtu.jpg
Finally Got Myself an R53...-eelhur2.jpg
Finally Got Myself an R53...-drpcgyk.jpg
Finally Got Myself an R53...-u6qsq2q.jpg
Finally Got Myself an R53...-vsj2xfq.jpg
Finally Got Myself an R53...-enwdx5d.jpg

Old 04-05-2018, 04:59 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Hmmmmm a facelift with factory LSD??????

The following users liked this post:
Oldboy Speedwell (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Looks pretty clean with some nice options. Congrats. Should be lots of fun.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:19 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
Hmmmmm a facelift with factory LSD??????
Yep!
From the NAM classifieds,
this one:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-for-sale.html

The funny thing is that I went to check it out in early Jan., 1000 mile roundtrip in a rental car (a horrific 2018 Nissan Altima) and at that time I declined it due to some paint issues and other little niggles -- my heart loved it, but my brain dissected all the faults and I was overly critical with absurd expectations for a 12 year old car. Fast forward to last week and I was working an out of town job in Jupiter Florida which the turnpike route goes right by the seller, I contacted him to see if he still had the car and indeed he did, and we made a deal and I drove it home.

I am TOTALLY STOKED!
It is a bit of a rip snorter and although I've only driven 700 some odd miles so far, it continually tempts me into wild hooliganism and it's difficult to have restraint!

Looking very forward to get to know the car. I was intending to take it to some twisties relatively close to home to take some pix and make this thread, but I'm pressed for time and instead I just took some lazy shots in more mundane surroundings, still, can't wait to really wring it out though!

Originally Posted by Aspen
Looks pretty clean with some nice options. Congrats. Should be lots of fun.
Thanks!

It has already been TONS OF FUN in the very short period that I've owned it, truly a life-enhancing device if I've ever seen one as smiles per mile goes butterfly tummy happyhead like yellowsubmarine singalong --- really, it is a joyous machine!

The best option was the JCW box ticked, and I liked how it lacked cruise too because I don't like buttons on the steering wheel.

I'm not very fond of the armrest though, if I wanted to remove it would I have to change out the console?

Old 04-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Finally Got Myself an R53...-dpqzhec.jpg

Just got back from an a.m. appointment at my local doctor and was given a clean bill of health all things considered.

I took it in for a post-purchase inspection which is the wrong way around and I was a bit trepidatious and paranoid that I just might be hit with a whammy, just because of all the horror stories I've read online y'know I was worried that perhaps the car needed a ton of stuff done right off the bat --- in my 700 some odd miles the car felt fine to me, I mean it felt absolutely fabulous, but I don't know these cars either so I don't really know what's normal and what's not, and that's why I took it in to get looked at by a professional and someone who has been around these cars for a long time...

...Way is a cool dude and totally down-to-earth, he assured me that the car is good outside of a few things to be expected with a car of this age, and he gave me a prioritized list with which I can go down, bust some knuckles, and get it up to perfect proper snuff.

I'm very happy and relieved that all is immediately well!

Picked up some needed parts and put an order down for some Coco mats too because a little creature comfort like that goes a long way in my book and the Weatherguards are a bit too slippery for my tastes plus they tend to slide around too.

Finally Got Myself an R53...-g0ukywh.jpg
Finally Got Myself an R53...-g8ps18h.jpg

Old 04-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I see he's got you into a replacement expansion tank. Also, I'd replace the dip stick. They have a tendency to break after a spell, mine started to and I was informed what would happen if it broke off inside. You don't want to know. I'd also add a pair of strut tower defenders. Easy to install, remove the nuts, lay it down and torque to 25#. And that swivelized cup holder...a PITA, easy to remove. Other than that, fan-dang-tastic and I see by the map you've found a way to enjoy it...it's the journey, not the destination.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:27 PM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What a fantastic buy. You're like me, had to come to my senses (set expectations) when you look at a car this old. But if you can wrench on it, enjoy and have fun. Great color too. Motor On!

Old 04-05-2018, 02:55 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
A bucket list:

1.) RMW Shorty Header
2.) 450/550 injectors
3.) 2% overdrive pulley
4.) Header with a high flow cat
5.) RMW Tune
6.) Stiffer rear sway bar
7.) A week of the Tail of the Dragon, The Snake and the Back of Dragon along with several other excellent roads off the BRPW.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:51 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
I am happy that you persevered and found your car. You held out for a slicktop, and it is a JCW with LSD. All important good things.

Manual AC and big center mount speedometer are also in my prefer list. I am never a fan of the armrest and feel it is against the idea of the Mini. Like a NRA's bumper sticker a decade back "Gun control is to hold the pistol with both hands", good driving is the same except for a split second to wiggle the joystick. While it is functional to hold some knickknacks it is ugly and look out of place and the extra weight. You should be able to get some good money for it in the classified.

I had cocomats in the 80s. They looks nice but they are very abrasive and will ruin your shoes as well as the carpet. The Mini rubber mats are extremely well made and fit, and do not slide at all. I had extreme skepticism when I ordered them as option. I hated the rubber outgassing for awhile. Now I am very glad I did as they keep the carpet pristine.

So you snapped up the rear seat delete. I am still hanging onto the rear seat for its sound deadening function, and knowing if I remove them I will need to store them at home. It is bad enough to store the stock shifter and other stuff.

I am not going to suggest what upgrade you should have as I know you are well versed. I look forward to see what you do with it in the time to come.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:58 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
And of course where are our manners?????

Welcome to NAM as now with a Gen1 Facelift JCW with Factory LSD you have joined an elite group of individuals that recognize the MINI as a great handling small car.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:01 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
We have a pool going in another section on how soon you will experience the most dreaded five words that a MINI owner can ever hear; "Your car is so cute!"

Old 04-05-2018, 04:20 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
We have a pool going in another section on how soon you will experience the most dreaded five words that a MINI owner can ever hear; "Your car is so cute!"
Cute was walking up onto #3 green and being met by a 4 or 5" long freshly hatched copperhead. He was 'cute' but the venom was still underlying. So to with the R53 JCW. You're welcome to use that if those five words ever raise their heads.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:33 PM
pnwR53S
I'm not very fond of the armrest though, if I wanted to remove it would I have to change out the console?
I am pretty sure it just bolts onto the seatbelt or seat rail anchors, and you still have the console and rear cupholder.

outmotoring

Old 04-05-2018, 07:24 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
I see he's got you into a replacement expansion tank. Also, I'd replace the dip stick. They have a tendency to break after a spell, mine started to and I was informed what would happen if it broke off inside. You don't want to know. I'd also add a pair of strut tower defenders. Easy to install, remove the nuts, lay it down and torque to 25#. And that swivelized cup holder...a PITA, easy to remove. Other than that, fan-dang-tastic and I see by the map you've found a way to enjoy it...it's the journey, not the destination.
Thanks for the reminder about the dipstick --- I'll likely just get a Dorman metal replacement for the time being.

Plan on going ahead and getting a full strut tower brace pretty soon, either WMW or M7, or perhaps another, still trying to decide.

I agree that the cup holder is a PITA and it will be removed this weekend!

Originally Posted by Bernard Barbour
What a fantastic buy. You're like me, had to come to my senses (set expectations) when you look at a car this old. But if you can wrench on it, enjoy and have fun. Great color too. Motor On!
Yes, I was being unrealistic with my expectations and had to come back down to Earth!
I like the way everything is laid out and look forward to turning some wrenches,
and ultimately being de-virginized with my first subframe removal!

A bucket list:

1.) RMW Shorty Header
2.) 450/550 injectors
3.) 2% overdrive pulley
4.) Header with a high flow cat
5.) RMW Tune
6.) Stiffer rear sway bar
7.) A week of the Tail of the Dragon, The Snake and the Back of Dragon along with several other excellent roads off the BRPW.
#3 was installed by previous owner so that's knocked out.
#6 p.o. installed aftermarket rsb said to be 18mm, haven't measured it yet though to confirm

#1 and #4 definitely on the list!

#7 is something I very much want to do too! Just driving around some mild twisties here in the rural area has been a total blast and I'm still getting the feel for it because I'm simply not used to such immediate responsiveness and the uncanny ability to fly through curves at silly speeds.

Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I am happy that you persevered and found your car. You held out for a slicktop, and it is a JCW with LSD. All important good things.

Manual AC and big center mount speedometer are also in my prefer list. I am never a fan of the armrest and feel it is against the idea of the Mini. Like a NRA's bumper sticker a decade back "Gun control is to hold the pistol with both hands", good driving is the same except for a split second to wiggle the joystick. While it is functional to hold some knickknacks it is ugly and look out of place and the extra weight. You should be able to get some good money for it in the classified.

I had cocomats in the 80s. They looks nice but they are very abrasive and will ruin your shoes as well as the carpet. The Mini rubber mats are extremely well made and fit, and do not slide at all. I had extreme skepticism when I ordered them as option. I hated the rubber outgassing for awhile. Now I am very glad I did as they keep the carpet pristine.

So you snapped up the rear seat delete. I am still hanging onto the rear seat for its sound deadening function, and knowing if I remove them I will need to store them at home. It is bad enough to store the stock shifter and other stuff.

I am not going to suggest what upgrade you should have as I know you are well versed. I look forward to see what you do with it in the time to come.
I totally agree with what you say regarding the armrest, and I've found it to be just clumsy and in the way too, like an afterthought design almost.

I've never had the famous coco mats so I thought I'd give 'em a try --- I was reluctant due to the cost but decided to splurge as a sort of celebration!

Yes, the rear seat delete is R56 and must be trimmed down when installed --- I'd love to also have the proper cover to make it look factory clean but I'm unsure if I'd be able to trim for fitting and at around $350-$400 for the parts it'd be a costly experiment!

Gotta give a shout-out again to vetsvette for his pointing me in the right direction and greatly helping me out,
here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4358901

I was able to get the foam piece from my local MINI dealer for $70 so that's not too bad really --- I went ahead and bought one because I was paranoid that they may go out of production and be NLA.

And of course where are our manners?????

Welcome to NAM as now with a Gen1 Facelift JCW with Factory LSD you have joined an elite group of individuals that recognize the MINI as a great handling small car.

Many thanks!
I'm very very happy to be here amongst this great group and all of y'all have been tremendous help with this extraordinary resource known as NAM.

A cool place like this makes the ownership experience all the much better!

LOL
Not yet!
I've heard the "I'm glad you drive a small car because I did a horrible parking job" which was sort of funny.

The coolest thing is having my first wave to a fellow motorer (is that a word? How to say one that motors? ...hmmm) who happened to be a very cute girl in a Pepper White R50,
it was pretty awesome.

Cute was walking up onto #3 green and being met by a 4 or 5" long freshly hatched copperhead. He was 'cute' but the venom was still underlying. So to with the R53 JCW. You're welcome to use that if those five words ever raise their heads.

Good stuff.

I am pretty sure it just bolts onto the seatbelt or seat rail anchors, and you still have the console and rear cupholder.

outmotoring
I only gave a glance quick check but tomorrow will investigate further and perhaps take pictures,
it appeared to be a part of the console...

Old 04-05-2018, 07:46 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Something that I forgot to mention --- I think it's really cool that I ended up with a 2006 because 1986 has always been my favorite year for my beloved Saab, so it's like I'm jumping into the future exactly 20 years!

It is a drastic difference and I feel as if I'm in a luxury car comparatively. LOL
I drove my last '86 Saab since 2002 so I've had it a while and sadly I had let it dilapidate to a pretty ratty condition, although it ran strong it looked quite raggedy. I have been driving mid 80's Saab 900's since 1991 and nothing else, so I'm glad to be in a new world and it looks like I've chosen a damn good world to be in!

However, it is a little difficult to let go of Saabworld and finally give up the ghost, just because of how long I've been into it, but it's something I must do. I was an obsessive anorak and collected all sorts of stuff over the years that just now I'm beginning to sell off...

Last edited by Oldboy Speedwell; 04-05-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:24 AM
Monkey Juice
2nd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
What a small world. Jupiter Florida is only a few miles north of Palm Beach..and I've seen this car before. I notice all 1st generation beasts on the road!...especially the JC Works model. The previous owner proudly participated in the monthly MINI meet-ups at Palm Beach Motorsports, something that I used to attend.. I'm nearly certain that this is the same sweet machine. I think??

Rock on,

Mark

ps. PB Motorsports lets you drive around their track way too fast. A professional driver will drive your car for the 1st lap. Then you drive from there. I would not subject Monkey Juice to such uncivilized teenage behavior! hahaha. My god, these folk would wear out a set of tires in a few hours of play! I am far to frugal. I would attend the meets to get the free hats, keychains, water bottles, and I won the gift basket once...plus a MINI Jacket. And more.

Anyhow... nice car!

Oldboy Speedwell (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 06:03 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Monkey Juice
What a small world. Jupiter Florida is only a few miles north of Palm Beach..and I've seen this car before. I notice all 1st generation beasts on the road!...especially the JC Works model. The previous owner proudly participated in the monthly MINI meet-ups at Palm Beach Motorsports, something that I used to attend.. I'm nearly certain that this is the same sweet machine. I think??

Rock on,

Mark

ps. PB Motorsports lets you drive around their track way too fast. A professional driver will drive your car for the 1st lap. Then you drive from there. I would not subject Monkey Juice to such uncivilized teenage behavior! hahaha. My god, these folk would wear out a set of tires in a few hours of play! I am far to frugal. I would attend the meets to get the free hats, keychains, water bottles, and I won the gift basket once...plus a MINI Jacket. And more.

Anyhow... nice car!
I loved Jupiter, although we stayed in Stuart due to hotel rates being cheaper --- I've been lucky this year with having lots of jobs in Fla. and have escaped much of the cold weather snaps at home, I'm really missing those laidback seabreezes right now because there is yet another cold snap happening.

That's cool you recognize the car!
The previous owner, Bruce, is a great guy and really kept it well-maintained and added some nice mods too, he said it was the favorite car that he's ever owned and was somewhat sad to let it go.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:15 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Bouncing around this morning looking for various Mk. 1 JCW junk and got rabbit-holed into looking at the GP i/c, and inevitably all roads lead to England oftentimes when I'm after this sort of stuff and once again I'm tempted, but can't really justify the cost, but still, it makes me wonder why I often see such differences in pricing for parts between the two countries?

Not really a bargain by any means,
but at £984 VAT-tax-free it's much more reasonable than what just the intercooler alone costs over here.
This kit looks nice....
£984 = $1,381
(current market rate)

http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/in...65-302kit.html

Whereas in the USA,
you have to pay $1,523.23 for the i/c,
plus $260 something for the diverter if I'm reading it right?

https://parts.miniofkennesaw.com/pro...517565302.html

I've already decided that at some point I'm going with an Airtec i/c so when that happens I won't have a diverter plate,
but I really like the looks of the black GP version.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:55 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
To echo something Juice mentioned about time on the track. Back in my profligate youth a couple of trips to a famous F1 track with a sports car club has given me the knowledge and skill 50 years later to get the most from my li'l guy when it comes to challenging the twisties while following the rules of the road and NOT burning up tires. We've got a track about 2 hours away and I often suggest to others to take advantage whenever there is an open track day.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:23 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
To echo something Juice mentioned about time on the track. Back in my profligate youth a couple of trips to a famous F1 track with a sports car club has given me the knowledge and skill 50 years later to get the most from my li'l guy when it comes to challenging the twisties while following the rules of the road and NOT burning up tires. We've got a track about 2 hours away and I often suggest to others to take advantage whenever there is an open track day.
It's something I definitely need to look into because it's something I've always wanted to do.

I have often been a spectator at Road Atlanta and've always had the itch to see how I could fair on time trials etc.

I'm also going to investigate HPDE and autocross to see if I can make it happen.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:27 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Snapped a pic of the armrest --- it appears to only be held in place by 2 screws so it'll be an easy remove, but the accent ring appears to be part of the hinge assembly, hmmm, I'll find out this weekend when I have some time to tinker...

Finally Got Myself an R53...-csaarsw.jpg
Finally Got Myself an R53...-9v0zt2i.jpg

Old 04-06-2018, 08:14 AM
pnwR53S
Oh my! I would not expect that. It seems there is a retrofit version and a off the factory floor version, and you won the lucky draw.

this or find a used one in the classified
https://new.minimania.com/part/NMK77...n1-R50-R52-R53

Old 04-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Oh my! I would not expect that. It seems there is a retrofit version and a off the factory floor version, and you won the lucky draw.

this or find a used one in the classified
https://new.minimania.com/part/NMK77...n1-R50-R52-R53

Yay!

I drew the lucky draw!
LOL

Oh well, nothing that another $100 can't fix haha
Thanks for the MiniMania link as it is a good readymade solution.

There is a 2002 down at a local pull-a-part that I just noticed appeared in their online inventory, sadly it doesn't seem that many of the MC's are in junkyards here in the southeast but I'm gonna be junkyard doggin' bigtime here shortly in maniacal searches for rare old NLA stuff so I'll get the lay of the land and find out how many are out there --- it seems nowadays that there may be less so cars hitting the yards than the past due to lucrative online selling of scrap parts for much money than that of the good old days, and anyway, I could spend the entire day at a good junkyard just looking around and investigating interesting stuff, it's like a holiday!

Also checked my local dealer and found this,
are these the correct part numbers for what I need just in case I decide to go with new parts?

https://parts.miniofkennesaw.com/pro...162756167.html

#2 - bracket, handbrake console, rear
$14.08

#8 - handbrake console
what is the difference between 51162756157 and 51162756156?
$76.19

#16 - trim ring
$9.89 - $15.26

Old 04-06-2018, 09:01 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell

Yay!

I drew the lucky draw!
LOL

Oh well, nothing that another $100 can't fix haha
Thanks for the MiniMania link as it is a good readymade solution.

There is a 2002 down at a local pull-a-part that I just noticed appeared in their online inventory, sadly it doesn't seem that many of the MC's are in junkyards here in the southeast but I'm gonna be junkyard doggin' bigtime here shortly in maniacal searches for rare old NLA stuff so I'll get the lay of the land and find out how many are out there --- it seems nowadays that there may be less so cars hitting the yards than the past due to lucrative online selling of scrap parts for much money than that of the good old days, and anyway, I could spend the entire day at a good junkyard just looking around and investigating interesting stuff, it's like a holiday!

Also checked my local dealer and found this,
are these the correct part numbers for what I need just in case I decide to go with new parts?

https://parts.miniofkennesaw.com/pro...162756167.html

#2 - bracket, handbrake console, rear
$14.08

#8 - handbrake console
what is the difference between 51162756157 and 51162756156?
$76.19

#16 - trim ring
$9.89 - $15.26
That absolutely does not look like gen 1 console.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:29 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
That absolutely does not look like gen 1 console.
Damn.

Right you are.

I need to slow down here, I'm overly excited and in a whirlwind, dunno how I overlooked the obvious and didn't take note that I was looking at R56!
Will require further investigation to find correct part numbers, but I'm pretty sure offhand that WMW will have the used parts I need when I get around to do the delete, but I still wanna go to the junkyard too and look forward to it as it's been too long of a while since I've walked amongst the graveyards...

...speaking of whirlwind,
I've had all this pent-up energy from looking at various things that I like but incapable of getting anything because I didn't know what I'd end up with, what color I'd ultimately have or whether or not it'd be a JCW or S.

I'm happy that I ended up with a JCW and intend to go the full works just because I'm wired like that. I totally understand the debate saying that it's all a psychological marketing ploy for upmarket pricing and such stuff, but I guess I'm a sucker.

I would have been just as happy with a good S, but preferred the JCW due to out-of-the-box equipment that would save me from buying decent exhaust and etc.

The mail cometh and the flurry rush will continue with a few more oddments, I need to slow down at this point and develop a staged strategy instead of going hogwild because my budget can't stand much more of this reckless spending!

I am torn and feel a bit guilty for buying appearance items right now as opposed to maint. stuff,
but I'm having fun!

From ebay:
Finally Got Myself an R53...-behoso8.jpg

And my first order from ECS,
I went for the $45 handbrake cover as it's more reasonable than the $100 ones even though I've read it requires hockeytape or similar to affix proper solid.
The swatch is graphite colored 3M di-noc carbon fiber vinyl...

Amazon Amazon

...and I intend to wrap it because it has the Mk.2 logo, will be using black though as to match the rest of the interior where it's already applied --- I've never been a big fan of the carbonfibre look but this stuff is really cool with a texture and I diggit, the previous owner Bruce has a good eye and his tastes are similar to mine as I very much like his build approach and what he did with it.

Finally Got Myself an R53...-uq6ycpl.jpg

And I had to get the sills because I was paranoid they'd soon be NLA and I like how they're black.
If I would have ended up with an S, I would have also changed out the sills and wanted the checkers but they're NLA and very very difficult to find,
these:
Finally Got Myself an R53...-e5kippx.jpg

The JCW version:

Finally Got Myself an R53...-dfmjdtd.jpg

Last edited by Oldboy Speedwell; 04-06-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Finally Got Myself an R53...