Rear seat delete w/ flat floor, 2 storage compartments - North American Motoring

R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

Rear seat delete w/ flat floor, 2 storage compartments

Old 03-13-2018, 02:13 PM
Rear seat delete w/ flat floor, 2 storage compartments

Just bought a 2006 S with only 32K miles, love it! I have a few other fun cars, but this will be my DD, replacing a very-functional-but-equally-boring Honda Element.

I haul my dog around almost every day, so wanted to lose the rear seats and add a flat area instead. I searched and found several ideas, but none exactly what I wanted- so I designed my own.

I did two quick videos also.

Basically, I used two pieces of 1/2" plywood, both hinged from the crossmember in the interior. I used crimp-in threaded inserts to mount the hinges, then used cardboard to make templates for the plywood lids.

In back, two sliding latches secure the lid. That lid opens wide enough to replace the car's battery when necessary. I kept the oem padded mat. There's not a lot of room here, but enough for a few tools, jumper cables, etc.

In front, a loop of bungee cord secures the lid. I dynamatted that area, then taped down carpet sections left over after I trimmed the 4x6 carpet mat to fit on top.

I will attach the mat with some carpet tape and a few trim screws.

Just thought some folks might like to see another version of a rear seat delete!

Here are some of the items I used.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear seat delete w/ flat floor, 2 storage compartments-before-rug-attached.jpg   Rear seat delete w/ flat floor, 2 storage compartments-under-front-lid.jpg   Rear seat delete w/ flat floor, 2 storage compartments-hinge-detail-1.jpg   Rear seat delete w/ flat floor, 2 storage compartments-hinge-detail-2.jpg   Rear seat delete w/ flat floor, 2 storage compartments-front-bungee-latch.jpg  

Old 03-13-2018, 10:20 PM
3rd Gear
Love it. I take my dog everywhere too. I may have to do the same thing
Old 03-15-2018, 07:17 AM
1st Gear
This is awesome! I have been trying to figure out the best solution for myself on my R53 as well. This might be the best route so far. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-16-2018, 12:11 AM
3rd Gear
That's fantastic, man. Nice work. I may do the same. I sometimes haul a small drumset in mine, so the seats are in the was anyway. Its not like a human can fit in the rear seats anyway.