R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Coil-overs that will maintain stock height (Sport Plus) and comfortable ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:10 AM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Coil-overs that will maintain stock height (Sport Plus) and comfortable ride

I'm interested in some coil overs that will not lower my car more than it already is - I have the Sport Suspension Plus from the factory. I assume that is lowered... I also want a very comfortable ride, I do not want a harsh ride or stiff spring rates.

I was thinking about the Ohlins R&T's, but wanted opinions.

Thanks

Old 01-22-2018, 09:17 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
I believe the sports are about 3/16" lower while the JCW reds are about 3/8" (10 mm). When the time comes, I am going to go Koni Yellows with some IE fixed camber plates/

Old 01-22-2018, 10:26 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
BC's can go pretty high since you adjust ride height using the mounting bucket-thing and not the actual spring. You can adjust the ride somewhat independently by adjusting preload on the spring...raise the whole thing up as you wish.

Example:

Low

Raised up when I traded it in lol

Old 01-22-2018, 10:31 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
BC's can go pretty high since you adjust ride height using the mounting bucket-thing and not the actual spring. You can adjust the ride somewhat independently by adjusting preload on the spring...raise the whole thing up as you wish.
You are not adjusting the preload. There is no such thing as preload of the springs adjustment on consumer coilovers. Adjusting the ride height is all you are doing. One biggest advantage of coilover is you can slam you car.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:20 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
You are not adjusting the preload. There is no such thing as preload of the springs adjustment on consumer coilovers. Adjusting the ride height is all you are doing. One biggest advantage of coilover is you can slam you car.
Wrong.

Look at these:

The lower locking collar raises and lowers the shock body, and the locking collars directly below the springs adjusts the spring pre-load. Ideally, you want the spring pre-load set to near zero to benefit from the full damper motion, and reduce spring noises. The, adjust the lower bracket for ride height changes.

The following users liked this post:
iwashmycar (01-23-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 12:34 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by njaremka
Wrong.

Look at these:

The lower locking collar raises and lowers the shock body, and the locking collars directly below the springs adjusts the spring pre-load. Ideally, you want the spring pre-load set to near zero to benefit from the full damper motion, and reduce spring noises. The, adjust the lower bracket for ride height changes.
All you are doing is changing the lower spring perch, and that does not change "preload". May be I was too busy flirting during hi school physics. What I can vaguely recall is the simply spring force equation. Hooke's law not to be confused with hooker's law.

Once the weight of the Mini is on the spring, what you did to "pre-load" the springs is immaterial except when the springs are fully extended - if you decide to pull a flying Mini the fraction of second it is airbound. You need to think with simple laws of physics, instead of the glossy marketing material.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:37 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I would go with BC's because of the way the ride height is not coupled to the spring like most lower end coilovers

on my KW I could raise the car up but it would be preloading the hell out of the springs

Old 01-22-2018, 12:47 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
All you are doing is changing the lower spring perch, and that does not change "preload". May be I was too busy flirting during hi school physics. What I can vaguely recall is the simply spring force equation. Hooke's law not to be confused with hooker's law.

Once the weight of the Mini is on the spring, what you did to "pre-load" the springs is immaterial except when the springs are fully extended - if you decide to pull a flying Mini the fraction of second it is airbound. You need to think with simple laws of physics, instead of the glossy marketing material.
Pre-load is a load applied to the spring BEFORE the vehicle load is applied to the assembly. When you move the lower spring perch, you are pre-loading the spring. The lower-lower collar has no effect on the spring loading, only on the overall length of the damper. THAT is the collar you want to adjust for ride height alterations, not the spring collar.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:48 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Gotta ask - if you want to stay same ride height why are you looking for coilovers? Adjustability is the only real benefit to coilovers. If I were you, I'd just refresh what you have with some new shocks. Pick your poison, but it should be a bit less expensive that way, too - especially if you're looking at higher end coilovers.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:49 PM
pnwR53S
We may be getting semantic here. Unless you can independently change the height of the upper spring perch the so called "preload" is a mere byproduct of the ride height change. The ride height, which for most is the predominant setting given the spring rate of the spring that is used.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:54 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
We may be getting semantic here. Unless you can independently change the height of the upper spring perch the so called "preload" is a mere byproduct of the ride height change. The ride height, which for most is the predominant setting given the spring rate of the spring that is used.
That would be true if the coilover in question doesn't have separate ride height adjustability. For example, see the Bilstein coilovers:

Notice that there are only spring perch adjustments, and no damper body length adjustments. With this style coilover, you have to rely on the spring length and pre-load for vehicle ride height, as opposed to the previously picture where you can use damper body length for ride height adjustments.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:22 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by njaremka
That would be true if the coilover in question doesn't have separate ride height adjustability. For example, see the Bilstein coilovers:

Notice that there are only spring perch adjustments, and no damper body length adjustments. With this style coilover, you have to rely on the spring length and pre-load for vehicle ride height, as opposed to the previously picture where you can use damper body length for ride height adjustments.
Upon looking at your first photo more closely I do see those coilovers do indeed has independent ride height setting. This is not the case with most if not all low price point COs. Still, preload is just a fancy marketing term as at the end of the day, the spring rate is what make or break the intended suspension performance. The only way to achieve that is to tailor the right spring, which unless you are lucky you may have to change the spring.

Back to OP's question. If you have no objection with the spring rates of your existing suspension, you might be better served with a set of better dampers. OE dampers typically are crap and under damped.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:35 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yep, just needs to have the bottom adjustment on the collar of the shock to raise the ride height, some have even those additional adjustments like forge and megans with the threaded body into the bottom.

For most people that just want a better ride but keep stock height for the winter or going on back roads, KONI FSDs or Bilstein sport shocks are good.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-Cooper-R53-S-Coupe-L4_1.6L_W11B16A/Suspension/Shocks/

If you want to go lower in the summer and higher in the winter just looks for the adjustments and then the lowering range.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-22-2018, 07:35 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
the standard suspension and sport suspension didn't change ride height. The sport was just stiffer than the standard.
Then in 05 when the sport suspension plus came out that was actually a little softer than the earlier suspension as owners complained it was too stiff so MINI tried to make it better.

Now with that said ALL coilovers pretty much will lower your car from the stock height you have now. Most will lower a min of 3/4 inch.
So if you don't want to lower a set of Koni FSDs is the simple and cost effective way that I would recommend to improve the ride as they really do ride great.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/koni-fsd-shocks.html

Next option that would improve the ride and also improve the handling with an approx 3/4 inch drop would be our TSW lowering springs.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/tsw-mi...e-springs.html

I'd pair them with some Koni Yellow or oranges.

Then finally going to coilovers. Remember these are really made for performance not a soft ride so they are going to be sprung and valved stiffer. Our custom KW TSW spec V2s would be ideal out of the coilover option as they ride firm but not harsh.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/kw-var...r50-52-53.html

Also keep in mind if you lower it in ANY way you will want some adjustable control arms to dial in the rear alignment otherwise you'll wear through tires.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/h-spor...ber-links.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-23-2018, 07:03 AM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
So I guess FSD's would be the best approach for me. I mainly wanted coilovers because the front of my car is a bit higher than the rear. Partly due to the Cravenspeed UTI's. Maybe I'll remove those and just run the STD's that I have -- running both is probably overkill. The other reason is that the back end of the car feels very soft compared to the front. it squats a LOT when power is applied. I was thinking I could correct some of this with coilovers. Maybe I should find some standard suspension rear springs and run those with my Sport Suspension Plus springs in the front.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:05 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Thats the best if you just want stock ride height and a comfortable suspension.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-23-2018, 07:44 AM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
$619 for FSD's - ouch... This Mini is costing me a fortune! lol

Old 01-23-2018, 02:24 PM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
>>The other reason is that the back end of the car feels very soft compared to the front. it squats a LOT when power is applied. I was thinking I could correct some of this with coilovers.

The shocks are blown. The nose diving on braking and the rear squatting down on acceleration can all be remedied with some fresh new dampers.

If you were looking at Ohlins, FSDs are a bargain in comparison, plus the results will be exactly what you're looking for. If that 10mm of lift on the front end from the UTIs bothers you, go for STDs. We stuck with the UTIs since we already had them when we did the suspension refresh (Bilstein B4, H-Sport springs). The super minor lift is actually not noticeable.

Last edited by Zsm; 01-23-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:35 PM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Zsm
>>The other reason is that the back end of the car feels very soft compared to the front. it squats a LOT when power is applied. I was thinking I could correct some of this with coilovers.

The shocks are blown. The wnose diving on braking and the rear squatting down on acceleration can all be remedied with some fresh new dampers. You don't need coilovers.

If you were looking at Ohlins, FSDs are a bargain in comparison, plus the results will be exactly what you're looking for. If that 10mm of lift on the front end from the UTIs bothers you, go for STDs. We stuck with the UTIs since we already had them when we did the suspension refresh (Bilstein B4, H-Sport springs). The super minor lift is actually not noticeable.
You might be right... My fronts were blown & top hats were torn, so I replaced them with B4's but I haven't messed with the rear yet. I guess I should try that first since the B4's are pretty inexpensive.

I just don't like the squat and bounciness since it causes my rear tires to rub the fenders because I'm running 15mm spacers. It BARELY rubs, so I'm hoping that might stop it.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:36 PM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
Also, I actually have both the STD and the UTI's and I might just remove the UTI's... I just assumed the sandwich would be much stronger, but CravenSpeed says both is unnecessary I've read since...

Old 01-23-2018, 03:28 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
the standard suspension and sport suspension didn't change ride height. The sport was just stiffer than the standard.
Then in 05 when the sport suspension plus came out that was actually a little softer than the earlier suspension as owners complained it was too stiff so MINI tried to make it better.
With respect, the JCW sport suspension and red spring combo drops 10mm from stock.

http://motoringfile.com/files/JCWSUSPENSIONKIT.pdf

Old 01-23-2018, 03:39 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by jamez
With respect, the JCW sport suspension and red spring combo drops 10mm from stock.

Way meant that Sport Suspension Plus did not lower the car.

WayMotorWorks (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 06:25 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by RedAggie03
You might be right... My fronts were blown & top hats were torn, so I replaced them with B4's but I haven't messed with the rear yet. I guess I should try that first since the B4's are pretty inexpensive.

I just don't like the squat and bounciness since it causes my rear tires to rub the fenders because I'm running 15mm spacers. It BARELY rubs, so I'm hoping that might stop it.
If you are trying to get a ride improvement you need to think of the B4 as stock replacements, not an upgrade. Any improvement you see will be the difference from your worn shocks to new shocks. That's why I recommended the konis as it's totally different in the way the shock works to improve ride.

Originally Posted by jamez

Yes the JCW suspension that has the red springs will lower the car 10mm. But that is the JCW suspension Not the Sport suspension Plus. Sport Suspension plus was the stock suspension with black springs.

Originally Posted by MINIAC
Way meant that Sport Suspension Plus did not lower the car.
Exactly.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
cornjuice (01-23-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 05:17 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
I am thinking that factory option 226 - Sport Suspension Settings is a 4mm drop whereas the "dock" installed JCW Spring Package was 10mm.

To the non-Candians and non techies that's .157" (about 1/6") and .393" (about 3/8")