R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Alta adjustable tensioner stop

Old 10-24-2017, 07:16 PM
Tombstone
4th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Alta adjustable tensioner stop

Is this part worth installing on a supercharged Mini Cooper:Alta performance.com/i-14007122-adjustable-tensioner-stop-for r53-supercharged-engine?

Old 10-24-2017, 08:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
We don't recommend it as it won't allow the tensioner to move properly and adjust tension with different loads. If you watch your tensioner move you will see it swings back and forth depending on RPM and load. With the fixed shock it can't move like it is designed.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-24-2017, 09:40 PM
Tombstone
4th Gear
Kind of what I was thinking ....Thanks

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (10-25-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 12:36 AM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just a contrasting viewpoint: I have had that part installed on mine (with a 17% reduction supercharger pulley) for a few years and about 30k miles with no issues. I understand the objection to it that WMW raises. Just saying that it has worked well for me. Although I am intending to check/adjust it soon when I complete the engine work on my vehicle.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:17 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Spraypaint
Just a contrasting viewpoint: I have had that part installed on mine (with a 17% reduction supercharger pulley) for a few years and about 30k miles with no issues. I understand the objection to it that WMW raises. Just saying that it has worked well for me. Although I am intending to check/adjust it soon when I complete the engine work on my vehicle.
Would be interesting to have an engineer involved with vehicle design chime in on this. Older cars had no tensioner at all. Do not know if all modern serpentine type belt systems have fixed points as many that I have worked on do have a spring to provide tension while also allowing some movement. Is it logical to assume that with a fixed belt allowing no movement the various pulleys and pumps/armature systems would wear out quicker?

Wonder what was behind Alta making the part? Years back there were all types of parts made to keep the tensioner together if the shock broke, had one myself but they are no longer available.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:47 PM
Tombstone
4th Gear
Old 09-17-2018, 04:22 PM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Tomb, did you ever buy anything? I’ve had the second part, the strap. It vibrated to pieces in a year or so and was noisy in the process, do not recommend. I’m looking into the first part, the adjustable tensioner stop, because I’m tired of the shock leaking and dying so darn quickly, and then the pulley bounces all over, and then you’re in for another $100+ tensioner assembly.

So, does anybody else have experience with the Alta adjustable tensioner stop?

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2018, 05:03 PM
Tombstone
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GearheadS
Tomb, did you ever buy anything? I’ve had the second part, the strap. It vibrated to pieces in a year or so and was noisy in the process, do not recommend. I’m looking into the first part, the adjustable tensioner stop, because I’m tired of the shock leaking and dying so darn quickly, and then the pulley bounces all over, and then you’re in for another $100+ tensioner assembly.

Thanks!
I went with the Alta non-adjustable tensioner stop and have had no problems .I did'nt want to take the OEM shock (damper) out of the picture because this German engineered part is made for a specific reason.Thanks...

Last edited by Tombstone; 09-17-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:17 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Alta eliminates the stock's self-tensioning on different loads. It would work ideally if coupled w/ the right corresponding StretchFit belt.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:23 PM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
Haha, I knew I had to reply to this when I saw someone had bumped it.

So you know how before I said that I installed it and was having no issues?

Well, a few months ago, my car developed an annoying and puzzling rattle above 4200ish rpms. Turns out it was the ALTA tensioner. So that is gone now.

I guess I would say: skip it. This is one place that stock is better.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:44 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
If you just need the shock for the belt tensioner we offer them and it's a cheap fix, much more affordable and easy to install.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/superc...k-r52-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-21-2018, 11:47 AM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
WHAT? When did you get these? The word on the street is that the shock is not available individually. Why didn't I know about this before I put on a new tensioner assembly in the wee hours this morning?

Old 09-21-2018, 07:16 PM
Tombstone
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
If you just need the shock for the belt tensioner we offer them and it's a cheap fix, much more affordable and easy to install.
That's cool and affordable versus purchasing the whole tensioner assembly. WayMotorWorks Yeah...

WayMotorWorks (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 08:57 PM
askiles
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just replaced the strut in my tensioner. Easy peasy.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:37 PM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
I think I need to order one of these. I am noticing a slight amount of "yo-yoing" when I try to accelerate on the highway. Is this caused by the belt slipping? If so, how worried should I be? Is this a "don't drive the car till you address the problem" kind of thing or is it just a "be easy till you can replace the shock" kind of thing?

Too bad your tensioner stops are both not currently available. Now that I know my car doesn't have one (since removing the ALTA one), I kinda feel exposed.

Also, installation instructions for the shock? Askiles says it's easy peasy... how easy peasy?

Old 09-23-2018, 03:55 PM
Tombstone
4th Gear
It was easier to remove the whole tensioner assembly and replace the shock along with the Alta tensioner stop , than to do this on the car ...

Old 09-23-2018, 05:34 PM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
So I guess I should just follow instructions to remove the whole tensioner then? Might as well do it right if I'm gonna try to do it at all .

WMW, before I order the tensioner shock, would you also recommend I order that little bushing set? And I guess I should get the tool as well?

Old 09-23-2018, 07:18 PM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
I personally don't have any trouble changing the shock with the tensioner in place.

I installed the delrin bushings a while back and moved them to my new tensioner last week. So far so good.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:25 PM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
Spray, I have that slight yo yo, have ever since I installed the 15% pulley

Old 09-23-2018, 09:00 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by Spraypaint
So I guess I should just follow instructions to remove the whole tensioner then? Might as well do it right if I'm gonna try to do it at all .

WMW, before I order the tensioner shock, would you also recommend I order that little bushing set? And I guess I should get the tool as well?
You don't need the belt tool to change the shock only. Just a 13mm wrench as the shock can just come off the tensioner through the wheel well.

If you are replacing the shock with ours complete replacement you don't need the new delrin bushings as the shock will come with new rubber bushings in it already.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:54 AM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
Thanks so much for the reply, WMW! I'll order the shock from you guys right now.

Btw, I am enjoying your race cam, but I still need to get my tune dialed in a bit to take full advantage. It dies at red lights from time to time and I want to get my throttle response tightened up. Meeting with my tuner again on Wednesday to talk about it. But once the car is rolling it pulls nicely!

WayMotorWorks (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 03:52 PM
Tombstone
4th Gear
You don't need the belt tool to change the shock only. Just a 13mm wrench as the shock can just come off the tensioner through the wheel well.

If you are replacing the shock with ours complete replacement you don't need the new delrin bushings as the shock will come with new rubber bushings in it already.
The original shock bushings seem to wear-out real quick and Gates must be the supplier because when looked at a complete tensioner it had all the markings as the original Mini Cooper assembly...

Old 09-24-2018, 03:58 PM
Tombstone
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GearheadS

Thanks!
When the shock starts to wear out it will cause the excessive bounce all and was the non-adjustable strap the Alta brand stainless steel one?