R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 What the orange warning light in a gauge mean?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Bouklis
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the orange warning light in a gauge mean?

Hello, guys. I have an Omori gauge in my R53 installed like the picture for the coolant temp.

I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the orange light means when it is on. I know the red probably means that the temp is too high but I don't have a clue what the orange means. Can anyone tell? Thank you

Old 09-09-2017, 02:18 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
What year car you have?????

Old 09-09-2017, 05:36 PM
Bouklis
Neutral
I think the year doesn't matter. It is an aftermarket gauge with a warning light. Orange and red light. Sometimes the orange lights on but I don't know what it means. The red for sure means the water is hot.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:27 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
If it's aftermarket, did you install it or buy the car with it already installed? Have you tried visiting the manufacturer's website for an owner's manual or a help page?

Old 09-10-2017, 05:38 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
The question on the year has to do with what appears to be an almost sculputured plastic trim above the temp dials that the the gauges fit into. If the car is not Gen1, perhaps some Gen2 folks would know.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Bouklis
Neutral
I bought the car with these gauges that's why I don't know. The warning light comes on sometimes only when the temperature is medium to low and not always. And I can't understand what it's trying to say. I couldn't find any manual for the omori gauge. They are very old and collectible. Yes gen 1 MCS

Old 09-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I doing a search on the internet to find some helpful information for you, I came across the page shown in the link below. Tell ya what, if you want help, post a picture of your actual installation and we'll see what we can come up with. Otherwise, the link below and the picture you posted goes a long way to make you look like a troll:
https://www.google.com/search?q=omor...HYx9_U7FA8dtM:

Old 09-10-2017, 11:26 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have no idea how, but its a good bet there is some provision to adjust the warning level. Search around for any switches or adjustment screws.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Bouklis
Neutral
Ok here is the actual gauge. 50 degrees Celsius and the orange warning light is on. It is not always on at this temperature. And I don't know if it is a warning or it means something else. The warning light goes red also around 100 degrees Celsius.

@gjxj I think that somehow you can adjust the warning level but I don't know how. I can touch some screws behind the gauge but I don't have visual contact to be sure.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:02 AM
Wertles
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it turn on when under 50 degrees and turn off at 50 degrees? Maybe this is just a cold water warning light to let you know not to push too hard yet on a cold engine. VW cars and such have the coolant light on blue until the car is warm(ish) then off for normal temp range then it will go red when hot.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Bouklis
Neutral
Finally what I figured out is that this orange light is on when I turn on the lights in general. When I turn off the lights it goes off and it never turns on. :D
So when I was not seeing the warning I had just the lights off. The red light comes on even without lights on. So probably orange is nothing I should worry about.
Also, I noticed on the first picture that I posted that it's not mine the orange light is on too, so probably it stays like that when you have the lights on.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:52 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
See this: https://www.socalevo.net/threads/136276-OMORI-Gauges
The gauge has a control to set the color to whatever you want.

Do you have an RGB **** control like this somewhere in the car (this person has 4 Omori gauges — you would only have one of these controls):

Old 09-17-2017, 06:54 AM
Bouklis
Neutral
Originally Posted by rkw
See this: https://www.socalevo.net/threads/136276-OMORI-Gauges
The gauge has a control to set the color to whatever you want.

Do you have an RGB **** control like this somewhere in the car (this person has 4 Omori gauges — you would only have one of these controls):

I have two gauges. I don't think I have this RGB switch somewhere, except if it is hidden. It probably lights up orange just to show the color but there is no warning unless it goes red and then it means it is hot.