R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 megaMini 2.0 - The $800 MCS project

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 01:04 PM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by megaDan
Thanks! I've had a lot of fun with this car and its been rock solid this year. I hope that continues!

I've already got the rough shape of 2 of the 3 lines I need pre-bent. I did the entirety of our Lemons car with Ni-Cop years ago and a cheap flaring tool. It's a little bit of a PITA, but once the technique is learned it's pretty easy. My biggest fear is running the ABS/Master Cylinder dry and having to bleed that. I've got a cable on the way and hopefully I can finaggle my way through the software to bleed the ABS. I'm not too worried about installing the actual lines themselves (aside from being able to remove the existing lines from the calipers). I hate rust.
I hate rust too!!!!

I have a foxcon 510 and it was invaluable in bleeding the master cylinder/ABS. I went through a lot of fluid to get out the final bits of air, but you need to keep going. Also, the other thing that really helped was putting a piece of wood between the edge of the seat and the brake pedal, and compressing it as much as you can. Then leaving it over night. Works with the clutch pedal as well!

Old 11-10-2021, 01:07 PM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by megaDan
Thanks! I've had a lot of fun with this car and its been rock solid this year. I hope that continues!

I've already got the rough shape of 2 of the 3 lines I need pre-bent. I did the entirety of our Lemons car with Ni-Cop years ago and a cheap flaring tool. It's a little bit of a PITA, but once the technique is learned it's pretty easy. My biggest fear is running the ABS/Master Cylinder dry and having to bleed that. I've got a cable on the way and hopefully I can finaggle my way through the software to bleed the ABS. I'm not too worried about installing the actual lines themselves (aside from being able to remove the existing lines from the calipers). I hate rust.
I hate rust too!!!!

I have a foxcon 510 and it was invaluable in bleeding the master cylinder/ABS. I went through a lot of fluid to get out the final bits of air, but you need to keep going. Also, the other thing that really helped was putting a piece of wood between the edge of the seat and the brake pedal, and compressing it as much as you can. Then leaving it over night. Works with the clutch pedal as well!

Old 11-12-2021, 05:20 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 608 Likes on 480 Posts
Awesome ! Another se wi mini guy.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:16 AM
megaDan
4th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Got my cable and INPA working and was able to activate the vacuum pump. Woo! Immediately began working on removing and routing new lines. I got the DS front and DS rear done which were the "easy" ones.

All I've got left is the passenger rear which will likely have to be done in two pieces as I don't plan on dropping the exhaust or ebrake cables.

None of the removed lines were structurally compromised surprisingly. Some looked pretty nasty but they all held up to the abuse of removal. All the rubber lines were seized to the hard lines so they were cut off with an angle grinder.

Carnage

The front lines will be totally replaced, the rear lines will connect to the existing junction at the firewall.

Old 11-13-2021, 03:51 PM
megaDan
4th Gear
Done and done. Used the vacuum bleeder to accelerate getting brake fluid into the lines and then solo bled with the pedal using a column of brake fluid coming out of the bleeder into a catch can. Speed bleeders be damned. All connections dry after stomping on the pedal good.

Ready for ~2000 miles with two 60lb dogs over Thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2021, 07:48 PM
megaDan
4th Gear
I drove the car to work to verify there would be no surprises with the brakes before my 12 hour drive and there wasn't.......but it felt like it was down on pep a little bit, and like it decelerated just a bit when off-throttle between shifts. It was just barely perceptible, to where I wasn't sure if I was making it up; but when I saw my actual MPG at 22 (versus 26 lifetime average) I realized something was wrong. The wheels were not all the same temperature and had different levels of resistance so I assumed sticking caliper. Naturally I rebuilt the front calipers less than 36 hours before leaving.

Problem still not resolved. 100% highway road trips usually net me high 20s for mpg; I saw 22.9, 24.5, and 25.9 respectively on the way to NC. Yikes. It's definitely not brake related. It seems like its running rich. I did a visual check of all key pre-supercharger vacuum leak areas but saw no major culprits. Pre-cat O2 seems to be bouncing between 0-1v at idle but hard to be 100% sure thanks to low refresh rate of my scanner.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as far as places to look? Won't be doing a boost leak test down here; and if it's O2 related I'm probably looking at a new header thanks to rust. I'm hoping there is something I'm missing....

Either way, I'm not letting the MPG ruin what's otherwise been a great trip so far.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:52 AM
megaDan
4th Gear
Well, the trip was a blast 1900 miles over 7 days. Traffic was surprisingly minimal in both directions and resulted in relatively stress-free drives. Traffic was also nonexistent on the parkway and the diamondback so I had some excellent joyrides. And of course it was great having the mini while trying to find street parking on a busy black Friday in Asheville.

I experienced no issues aside from the decrease in MPG. I did this same trip in 2018 and saw 28mpg over 2200 miles; this time i saw 24.6. 25mpg if I factor in the slight increase in tire diameter over what I ran then. I hooked up INPA to check O2 performance at one point and noticed that my alternator load was pretty much constantly at 100%. I'm thinking that this might be the source of my issues but I'm not sure how its happening or what it means. This is pretty low on the priority list.

For now, winter tires are back on and I'll take it out on clear days and wait to see if the doors continue to freeze shut.

Beautiful.

The following users liked this post:
Oldboy Speedwell (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 09:17 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts

Awesome!

Glad you had a good trip.

Whenever I'm in that part of the country I love cruising the BRP because it is so beautiful...

megaMini 2.0 - The 0 MCS project-h0jjsxv.jpg

...but also use my Calimoto app to find some truly twisty backroads!

megaMini 2.0 - The 0 MCS project-rxdarco.png
megaMini 2.0 - The 0 MCS project-bkino44.jpg

Old 01-18-2022, 12:19 PM
megaDan
4th Gear
Boring update:
  • Turns out my large drop in MPG was a function of finally having a working exhaust and an undisciplined right foot. I've been driving it like it's meant to be driven. I conducted an experiment where I drove my normal routes, but without having fun. Calculated MPG jumped to 32. Woah. Nothing wrong with the car. Carry on.
  • I've been driving the mini a bit more than expected this winter. My TDI had a few minor issues that I wasn't eager to tackle while getting my wife's new van road-worthy. Despite a few big snows and a few sub-zero days, it hasn't skipped a beat. No frozen door handles, no blown out rear windows. Unfortunately my heater core is plugged, so that is next on the list.
  • The complete brake line replacement has been a massive success. I'm not missing a drop of fluid and concern is now completely off my radar.

Life with a mid-mileage winter beater mini is great!

The following 2 users liked this post by megaDan:
dmath (01-18-2022), wmcoons (01-19-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 08:42 PM
megaDan
4th Gear
The end?

What a ride. I've been taking advantage of the hot used car market and had some success cutting down my oversized stable the last few months. Unfortunately including this project. I had it listed for a while at a price that was at the upper end of what the market would bear. After a month of tire kickers I was ready to pull all the mods and go back to stock....literally the day I was going to put it on the lift...it sold. New owner had a blast on the test drive, I'm glad it's going to continue bringing smiles.

Some sad....had a few epic road trips in this car and it got me neck deep back into my attainable dream car....and was the first of 10 or so I've had over the last 5 years.

Some glad....moving on means I can build the JCW exactly how I want it...and do it now. This truly will be my dream mini. Parts have been ordered and it's already in pieces again.

Thanks for reading and all the input these last few years. I'll still be here.

Out with the old in with the new.

The following 3 users liked this post by megaDan:
dmath (03-16-2022), ssoliman (03-18-2022), wmcoons (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 09:20 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
congrats on taking advantage of the uptick in used car sales. Looking forward to the build thread.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (03-18-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 11:20 AM
megaDan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing
congrats on taking advantage of the uptick in used car sales. Looking forward to the build thread.
Thanks for the motivation :D

megaMini 3.0