R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Reset ECU..benefits vs harm

Old 05-24-2017, 05:34 PM
coopermike29
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Reset ECU..benefits vs harm

Hi

We have 2 .....2006 ......R 50 auto 110,00 on one and 87,000 on my Red Chili !!

One has about a 10% more " pick up" from a dead stop.

BOTH cars run GREAT with AWESOME MPG about 35 mpg

I have read resetting the ECU will bring great benefits.

Is there any harm in doing ?

Will I lose any info,,,like mileage,,,,radio stations..

I have the instructions form another thread

Appreciate all responses and thank you in advance

Old 05-24-2017, 08:32 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Sorry but the holding the button on the cluster thing does NOT reset the ECU. This is a myth that has gone on for years that people still believe so don't bother.
If you have the MINI software the adaptations in the ECU can be reset, but that is only necessary after certain repairs as the ECU is always learning so it will learn no matter what.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-25-2017, 05:23 PM
coopermike29
3rd Gear
Thanks WMW !!!!!

I thought that as well, as I have owned over 20 cars and ECU reset/update needed a dealers tool/info from what I have gathered in the 40 plus years of driving..

It IS interesting though.......that SO many swear by this!!

Some have mentioned a " placebo effect"

Old 05-30-2017, 04:37 AM
boachenizer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isnt there a way to reset it from the OBC without any additional software... the same way you can reset your oil check light.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:10 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
coopermike29, I think what you are wanting to do is clear what the ECU has learned, correct? If that is what you are looking for then I think the instructions you found......hold trip button down, turn on ignition, scroll, etc... is what you are looking for. I do this quite often because so many people drive my car and it starts to learn their habits instead of mine. You do not lose mileage, but you will lose tripometer mileage, or radio stations. You can also disconnect the battery, but then you lose your radio stations and clock.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:38 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Mib4840
coopermike29, I think what you are wanting to do is clear what the ECU has learned, correct? If that is what you are looking for then I think the instructions you found......hold trip button down, turn on ignition, scroll, etc... is what you are looking for. I do this quite often because so many people drive my car and it starts to learn their habits instead of mine. You do not lose mileage, but you will lose tripometer mileage, or radio stations. You can also disconnect the battery, but then you lose your radio stations and clock.
NO this does NOTHING TO THE DME. It doesn't reset the ECU learning or adaptations. It is just an instrutment cluster reset, NOTHING ELSE.
If it actually did reset the DME then you could clear the memory after a 2096 fault, this is the easiest way to prove it doesn't do anything to the DME.

Disconnecting the battery only clears short term memory, not the long term adaptations. You also won't loose your radio stations.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-02-2017, 11:12 AM
coopermike29
3rd Gear
Why do SO many people believe this will reset the ECU ?

I do NOT believe it will reset.( Read above my reply)

I am going to stop by the Mini Dealer next week and will ask...

Old 06-06-2017, 05:05 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
NO this does NOTHING TO THE DME. It doesn't reset the ECU learning or adaptations. It is just an instrutment cluster reset, NOTHING ELSE.
If it actually did reset the DME then you could clear the memory after a 2096 fault, this is the easiest way to prove it doesn't do anything to the DME.

Disconnecting the battery only clears short term memory, not the long term adaptations. You also won't loose your radio stations.
I some cases, though, instruments are exactly what need reset. The day I got Cooper he left me on the side of the road due to the fuel gauge only reading down to 1/4 tank. After using the reset option, it will down drop below 1/4 (I also learned about changing the OBC, so I can see DTE).

Old 06-11-2017, 04:49 AM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Thats a completely different scenario though, thats not affecting the motor portion of the ecu in anyway.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:23 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
I've used the MINI software to reset the adaptations in on my 03' JCM R53 several times.....I didn't notice any gain/loss in power at all after resetting them.

I think some people read to many posts online ......and just assume that resetting their DME will give big power gains. No...it doesn't. Sorry.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:24 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by coopermike29
Thanks WMW !!!!!

I thought that as well, as I have owned over 20 cars and ECU reset/update needed a dealers tool/info from what I have gathered in the 40 plus years of driving..

It IS interesting though.......that SO many swear by this!!

Some have mentioned a " placebo effect"
Yep...that's all it is...

Search this Thread