Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

P0300 code 02 Mini R50 Limp Mode then No Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 02:40 PM
OG02Mini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0300 code 02 Mini R50 Limp Mode then No Start

So here it is...
2002 Mini Cooper R50 euro build first north American models last four of vin 0003xxx 88k manual with 6 speed swap intake and exhaust.

Oct 30 2016 this happened
My mini always ran great, slight hesitation on start up but nothing out of the norm. Drove up the hill (mountain) and ran great, parked car for maybe your came back. Car fired right up, let idle for 1 min and Limp Mode! Car sounded rough and was misfiring. Swapped new plugs and wires in parking lot, same problem. Drove limp mode home 2 miles.
New MSD ignition, same problem with NO Start! Checked battery, guess what!, it almost 5 years old. So I think it's solved, NOT. Same problem with fresh battery.
2 months later...roughly
So asked mini mechanic what it might be P0300 code coming up and all the new parts he says,'crank shaft position sensor will throw that code. So I replace CPS (was leaking anyway so why not?), still no start. So I start playing around with fuel now that most spark is covered. Seems to have NO PREESSURE AT FUEL RAIL! Should have checked earlier using the schrader valve easy if you have a R50.
Month later...
So a new fuel pump is installed on driver side under rear seats, (also ordered fuel filter but did not fit because it's paper and my original is metal with VDO stamp. Oh and it is near impossible to pull assembly apart to remove filter, so reinstalled sending unit and filter.) This part is sold as a whole unit now and no longer uses a metal filter.
So STILL NO START! Little to no pressure at rail.
Ordered new sending unit, BAM fuel pressure at the rail! Purged using valve on rail to get at out and she putters to life, sort of.
Running but still P0300 :(
Was able to give her gas to stay running and smoothed out slightly still idle rough, cleared code restarted, and code returned. So moved to injectors, listened with a screw driver cylinder 1 clicking, cylinder 2 clicking, cylinder 3 quiet, cylinder 4 clicking. So ordering new injectors now.

Long story short the fuel pressure regulator in tank known as the fuel sending unit/filter housing failed, the clogged injector is likely from sitting.

Fingers crossed the injectors do the trick now that (almost) everything else has been replaced. Side note the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel rail seems to be holding pressure and has no gas in the vacuum line(check if your having fuel pressure issues).

Thanks for any input or comments. I hope this helps someone even if its in 8 year lol.