Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R50 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 07:34 AM
BugginR50
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R50 Exhaust

Hey guys I just got my first Mini. Its an 05 R50. From what I've read CAI and exhaust is the best way to get performance out of an R50. Im not looking to build a beast. Just wanting something to have fun with on the way back and forth to work. The Megan racing exhaust seems popular but Ive always wanted a Borla exhaust on something so I'm sorta leaning towards it. I don't want it super loud and obnoxious.l just want a good deep tone at idle and buzzing around town but a good throaty roar when I get on it harder. Any suggestions or sound clips I can hear?

Old 03-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
I have the Megan and love it. It is not super loud and gives a much deeper tone than stock. You will never not know it is there. To not use a double negative, you will always know it's on the car and the car is running. I also have an aFe "cold air" intake. Cold air is in quotes because it isn't a full cold air intake, there is some air from the under the hood that gets sucked in. It does have a shroud that meets the hood to minimize the amount of hot air getting to it, so that is good.

From what I know, the Boral is the loudest of the exhausts.

I am very happy with my set up. The amount of extra power you will get from these two are minimal at best. Your butt dyno will not really know any difference. I like to say that there is a bigly -YUUGE- difference in power gains. (the diction here should tell you that this is fake news.) But I digress. The intake is actually the best part. When at full throttle, the intake rasp is truly awesome. Here is proof - a fact check so to speak -
From the GoPro on my head -

from a mic under the hood by the main ECU

Old 03-29-2017, 08:17 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
and yes - we both know that we should sell the R50s and get a R53s! Be helpful not snooty you R53 Elites!
;-)

Old 03-29-2017, 08:23 AM
BugginR50
Neutral
Originally Posted by Thought of a good one
I have the Megan and love it. It is not super loud and gives a much deeper tone than stock. You will never not know it is there. To not use a double negative, you will always know it's on the car and the car is running. I also have an aFe "cold air" intake. Cold air is in quotes because it isn't a full cold air intake, there is some air from the under the hood that gets sucked in. It does have a shroud that meets the hood to minimize the amount of hot air getting to it, so that is good.

From what I know, the Boral is the loudest of the exhausts.

I am very happy with my set up. The amount of extra power you will get from these two are minimal at best. Your butt dyno will not really know any difference. I like to say that there is a bigly -YUUGE- difference in power gains. (the diction here should tell you that this is fake news.) But I digress. The intake is actually the best part. When at full throttle, the intake rasp is truly awesome. Here is proof - a fact check so to speak -
From the GoPro on my head -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss7jZ8ssgQs

from a mic under the hood by the main ECU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDrcgtVe2oc
That sounds great! I seen Way Motor Works has their CAI with the Megan exhaust in a package deal for a good price. I may end up going that way. What all do you have done? You have a fast R50 and your driving skills are crazy good👍🏻

Old 03-29-2017, 08:26 AM
BugginR50
Neutral
and yes - we both know that we should sell the R50s and get a R53s! Be helpful not snooty you R53 Elites!
;-)
Haha my aunt has a 74 Mini with a B18 vtec swap, race tuned suspension and wilwood big brakes. Its a monster. She actually handed me down the R50. Im gonna save the gas money I save and buy an old one before I ever sell the r50 for an S model

Old 03-29-2017, 08:28 AM
CRC
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
I have had a Megan exhaust fitted to my R50 for about the last 18 mths. Fit perfectly, and sounds good. However, I'm thinking of replacing it with a Milltek. ECS Tuning has them on sale right now, with free delivery. I have always liked Milltek products, but at the time that I had to fit a new exhaust because the original fell apart, the Megan was the most cost effective way to go.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:56 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BugginR50
That sounds great! I seen Way Motor Works has their CAI with the Megan exhaust in a package deal for a good price. I may end up going that way. What all do you have done? You have a fast R50 and your driving skills are crazy good👍🏻

I wouldn't go as far to say my driving skills are "crazy good." I have A LOT to learn. But thank you for the complement.

Intake, exhaust, suspension, brakes, Cooper S Sport+ rear anti-roll bar, wheels and tires. You will spend a large fortune getting an R50 as fast in a straight line as a R53 -we are talking fully race built motor and gutting the inside of the car.

You will see and feel a little more power with the intake and exhaust but not much, just on the side of noticeable. If making your car sound like a racecar is what you are after, this is the way to go. It's what I did and I like it; the wife things it's silly.

What mods that will make the car faster overall are crazy light wheels, sticky tires and suspension that keeps the car balanced.

I have the Megan Racing coil-overs. I also like them. They are essentially the same as the BC coil-overs, just not as expensive.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:00 AM
BugginR50
Neutral
I wouldn't go as far to say my driving skills are "crazy good." I have A LOT to learn. But thank you for the complement.

Intake, exhaust, suspension, brakes, Cooper S Sport+ rear anti-roll bar, wheels and tires. You will spend a large fortune getting an R50 as fast in a straight line as a R53 -we are talking fully race built motor and gutting the inside of the car.

You will see and feel a little more power with the intake and exhaust but not much, just on the side of noticeable. If making your car sound like a racecar is what you are after, this is the way to go. It's what I did and I like it; the wife things it's silly.

What mods that will make the car faster overall are crazy light wheels, sticky tires and suspension that keeps the car balanced.

I have the Megan Racing coil-overs. I also like them. They are essentially the same as the BC coil-overs, just not as expensive.
Like you said the race car sound is all I'm looking for out of this Mini as it will not be my last and my next one will be the fast one so intake and exhaust is all I'm after for now. Your videos pretty much sold me on the Megan along with the price. Also maybe a crisper throttle response.

Last edited by BugginR50; 03-29-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Adding a comment
Old 03-29-2017, 08:28 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
For the money the Megan can't be beat. I wouldn't bother with the extra cost for the Milltek.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/megan-...k-exhaust.html

But if you're looking for power our intake is the best bang for the buck on the R50
https://www.waymotorworks.com/way-dd...ntake-r50.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-30-2017, 06:24 AM
BugginR50
Neutral
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
For the money the Megan can't be beat. I wouldn't bother with the extra cost for the Milltek.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/megan-...k-exhaust.html

But if you're looking for power our intake is the best bang for the buck on the R50
https://www.waymotorworks.com/way-dd...ntake-r50.html
I just got the car so I'm probably gonna run it stock for several months and get the feel of it before I add mods but I like to plan ahead. Your intake has been my number one choice from the beginning. The exhaust has been up in the air between the Megan and the Borla. I'm leaning a little more towards the Megan now. I do appreciate you being on the forum and adding your advice. I own an RC hobby shop and I know customer service is key and I like dealing with people get involved with their customers

Old 03-30-2017, 06:34 AM
coopermike29
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the FIRST video the exhaust seems quiet...which I like

The SECOND video is LOUD !! like a race car !! VERY nice !!!

What exhaust is in the FIRST video ?

Thank you and AWESOME track and driving !!!!!!

Old 03-30-2017, 07:40 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by BugginR50
I just got the car so I'm probably gonna run it stock for several months and get the feel of it before I add mods but I like to plan ahead. Your intake has been my number one choice from the beginning. The exhaust has been up in the air between the Megan and the Borla. I'm leaning a little more towards the Megan now. I do appreciate you being on the forum and adding your advice. I own an RC hobby shop and I know customer service is key and I like dealing with people get involved with their customers
No problem always happy to help.

Since you own an RC hobby shop I totally understand you. All the big box shops and discount internet shops put ours all out of business. Very sad as I use to love going in and looking around and taking my time to pick out just what felt right to build. Plus those small shop owners knew what they were talking about and actually cared.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-30-2017, 10:29 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Originally Posted by coopermike29
the FIRST video the exhaust seems quiet...which I like

The SECOND video is LOUD !! like a race car !! VERY nice !!!

What exhaust is in the FIRST video ?

Thank you and AWESOME track and driving !!!!!!

Same exhaust on both video's, recorded the same day. The only mic is the one on the GoPro for the first video. So all the exhaust sound is from what is coming through the car and the open window. It is louder than the first video suggests. It is quieter than the second video suggests as the mic is tucked between the battery box and the ECU under the hood about a 10 inches from the intake.

Glad you like the videos. I think that they are boring video's; if I do say so myself and I do. It does make me want the weather to get warmer so I do that all over again.

Thanks for the driving complement, not sure I would say I am awesome - There are a few turns that I got just right - but I have a LOT to learn. Need to carry more speed though the turn complex after the chicane, which will be the hard part. Need to suspend my fear of pain/death and cost of repairs to my daily driver if I go off track.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:39 AM
BugginR50
Neutral
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
No problem always happy to help.

Since you own an RC hobby shop I totally understand you. All the big box shops and discount internet shops put ours all out of business. Very sad as I use to love going in and looking around and taking my time to pick out just what felt right to build. Plus those small shop owners knew what they were talking about and actually cared.
It's definitely hard to compete with all the online stores and chain stores. Ill be going online soon too though so hopefully that will help out👍🏻