Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2006 Mini Cooper S automatic/manual shifter not shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Laurenh
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mini Cooper S automatic/manual shifter not shifting

My paddle shifters work just fine but it won't shift using the shifter. I'm new to mini coopers. Any ideas on what could be wrong? I do NOT have a cvt.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:31 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Any error messages on the speedo like "EP" in the display? Also, are the paddle shifters working correctly in both D and SD modes? In D the shifts are temporary, and in SD they should hold the gear until you shift again, unless you are slowing down or nearing redline.

Also, how many miles on the car?

Old 03-28-2017, 07:05 PM
Laurenh
Neutral
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
Any error messages on the speedo like "EP" in the display? Also, are the paddle shifters working correctly in both D and SD modes? In D the shifts are temporary, and in SD they should hold the gear until you shift again, unless you are slowing down or nearing redline.

no error messages. The paddle shifters work correctly in both regular and SD. There is around 130,500 miles on the car. It just won't shift when I use the shifter ****.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:20 AM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Likely a broken wire in the shifter harness.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:46 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Yes, probably a broken wire or a problem with the shifter itself. Since you are new to MINI's, was this an existing problem when you bought the car, or was it working for a while and then stopped? Maybe the previous spilled something on the shifter and shorted something out.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:40 AM
Laurenh
Neutral
Yes, probably a broken wire or a problem with the shifter itself. Since you are new to MINI's, was this an existing problem when you bought the car, or was it working for a while and then stopped? Maybe the previous spilled something on the shifter and shorted something out.
it was an existing problem but at first it would shift up to second then now it won't shift at all.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:26 PM
Ms.Mini2006
1st Gear

Hi there! You sound pretty knowledgeable . I have a 2006 MCS with an asinin tranny i believe and when I drive - say I am going 50 mph my RPMs will go to 4-5 and stay there unless i let off the gas pedal. Or if i am going 65mph the RPMS will go to 6-7 amd stay there unless i let off the gas pedal. The RPMS accelearate with the gas pedal and go down with the gs pedal. Also MY paddle shifters are not working, and neither is the shifter when I put in into M/S mode to try to shift that way it does not do ANYTHING.

I took it to a mechanic and he said i needed a new instrument cluster , i bought one and it still does the same thing. So i put my old intrument cluster back on. On the gear selector where it should say D for drive - EP shows up instead. Any advice would help !

Old 10-21-2018, 11:57 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Just what I learned from the info here on NAM and other MINI forums so I would have some idea what to check if my trans eventually has a problem.

It sounds like your transmission is getting stuck in gear. It could be a lot of things, but I’ve never heard about it being from a bad instrument cluster.

The problem can be from the paddle shifters, the transmission control unit, the actual shifter itself, a transmission sensor, the valve body in the transmission, shorted wiring, maybe even the body control unit. The first thing I would do is have the error codes read to find out what the car thinks is the issue, then go from there. I don’t remember if a generic code reader will read the trans codes, but many chain auto parts store like O’reilly’s and Autozone will read codes for free, then post the error codes here if you get them.

In the meantime, the more info you can give, the better chance someone might be able to help from the forum. Has anything spilled on the shifter or steering wheel? Have you noticed any other symptoms like hard or jerky shifting, or the transmission slipping in other gears? How many miles are on the car? When was the last time the battery was changed? Does your car have a sunroof?

Also, where in the country are you located? Someone might be able to recommend a shop in your area who can help.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:37 AM
Ms.Mini2006
1st Gear
I don't think anything has spilled on the shifter or steering wheel. I got the car at an auction and all I was able to do was start the car there. So I have had this issue since I got it about a month ago- since I have only done very light driving in fear of hurting it more. It has 145,000 miles on it, and when I shift from Reverse to Drive there is a jerk. I do not know if it is slipping in other gears because I do not even know if it goes out of 1st gear becasue the RPMs go so high (50 MPH @ 4 RPM or 60 MPH @ 5 RPM without ever going down untill I let off the gas pedal) , but I don't know how these cars drive this is my first time in a mini. Im used to driving cars that the RPMs usually always go back to around 2 thousand no matter how fast I go. I was told it was a new battery, No sunroof.

I found out that you can go into the instrument cluster and do a test (test 14) and it gives codes telling you whats wrong with the car. Oh also the engine light is on. .Anyways the codes that popped up in the instrument cluster are 51482 and 1142F but I can not find anything anywhere as to what those codes are supposed to mean.

Also when I got it back from the first mechanic , I noticed on the notes it said
2930 PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID CIRCUIT IS INSIDE THE VALVE BODY

Old 10-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
The jerk into gear from reverse to drive is not a slip but more pressure than normal being applied. The error code you received would point to that type of problem.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:20 AM
Ms.Mini2006
1st Gear
Yeah, but how does a broke college girl get this type of thing fixed, without taking it to a tranny shop that would be outrageous? How do I fix this, can I order a new solenoid? or all of them? Or a new valve body? I have a mechanic friend who might know how to do this type of thing. Is it a challenging task?

And any clue as to what the codes in the instrument cluster are?

And why arnt my paddles shifters working?

Nor is my gear stick when I switch it to manual/sport, mode it does nothing. Just stays in regular Drive mode. With RPMs that Accelerate and go way high with the Speedometer, Never dropping the RPMs till I let off the gas peddal

Old 10-24-2018, 04:24 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Your. Eat. Eat is going to be to find nd a reputable shop that can diagnose your problems. There are just too many parts of the system that can cause these issues. It sounds like you may have mostly electronic problems.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:29 AM
Segis Ramos
Neutral
Helppp!!!!

hello someone could solve the problem in mini cooper I have the same problem driving with very high rpms and it does not work in manual mode, I get the code P1611 on my obd scanner