R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 about to buy used 03 R53

Old 03-18-2017, 09:46 PM
yyj3869
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
about to buy used 03 R53

i just checked on carfax and shows below

01/29/2017
82,154 mi
California Inspection Station
Failed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection

10/17/2016
79,035 mi
California Inspection Station
Failed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection

what causes failed safety inspection? is it big deal?

Old 03-18-2017, 11:20 PM
RogueMini
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good question. Disabled, missing seat belts? Non-functioning brake lights? Seems there should be an inspection report somewhere. I would make sure the title is clean (not a salvage title). If the title is okay, I guess I'd have a good independent MINI shop inspect, and correct any issues.

If the title isn't clean, you should be able to get the car for nothing, but make sure whatever issue has been fixed.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:42 PM
yyj3869
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RogueMini
Good question. Disabled, missing seat belts? Non-functioning brake lights? Seems there should be an inspection report somewhere. I would make sure the title is clean (not a salvage title). If the title is okay, I guess I'd have a good independent MINI shop inspect, and correct any issues.

If the title isn't clean, you should be able to get the car for nothing, but make sure whatever issue has been fixed.
pm'd

Old 03-21-2017, 01:50 AM
NewShockerGuy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some times it could be something silly.

For instance. My wife took one of her cars to get inspected and it failed due to having a rear light out. Changed the bulb, took it back and 5 minutes later it passed.

Another time it failed was due to them checking the headlight bulbs (new thing in VA). I did a HID retro fit but since it wasn't the bulb that is DOT stamped on the headlight it failed. Went home, put stock bulbs back in and it passed...

Might not necessarily be a bad thing or huge problem. A lot of times they try and ding you on everything so that they can charge you $49 to change a reverse light.

-Nigel

Old 03-21-2017, 12:29 PM
coopermike29
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Safety inspection could be anything from a bulb to brakes...windshield.....

Just ask WHY is did not pass...if they do not know....when you test drive....bring to a garage to inspect.......

Old 03-21-2017, 12:55 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by coopermike29
Safety inspection could be anything from a bulb to brakes...windshield.....

Just ask WHY is did not pass...if they do not know....when you test drive....bring to a garage to inspect.......
I agree could be anything as simple as wiper blades. So it would be totally worth the investment if you are serious to have a shop do a prepurchase inspection so you know what you're getting into.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-21-2017, 04:49 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
It's interesting that the car is failing safety inspections since safety inspections aren't required in California.

The only reason I know of are for salvaged cars. They require a brake and lamp inspection(a misleading name for a CA safety inspection) to re-register the car after being rebuilt of repaired, and maybe before registering a SCV/kit car. Out of state car purchases, or registering an out of state vehicle, require an inspection for VIN verification and to make sure the car is CA legal. Not sure if it also requires a brake and lamp inspection.

What does the carfax show for registration history or accidents?

Search this Thread