R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2004 R53 Cooper S in New Mexico - Indi Blue Mindi Journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Revenelson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 R53 Cooper S in New Mexico - Indi Blue Mindi Journal

A thread to follow the progress and changes for the Cooper S called Mindi.

I am starting this after the fact, the first project was to replace the upper strut mounts with Ireland Engineering fixed strut mounts. It was done in December.

Thanks for viewing, hope to see you out there driving!!

Purchased November 22, 2016 with 55,830 miles.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:24 PM
Revenelson
1st Gear
Strut Mount Replacement

Had clunking in the front end, slight mushrooming on the driver's side tower, and both original stock mounts were cracked.

Looked at different options but decided on the fixed strut mounts from Ireland Engineering. 1.25 degrees of camber, not adjustable.

It seemed to me like the extra wide side would go to the side of the strut tower that has the mushrooming problem, but it doesn't. I would actually suggest that as a future improvement because there is room under there to make the mount wider.

Used a MacPherson strut spring compressor, noting that I should replace the bumpstops and boots later.

Took the car for an alignment afterward, and on the drive there noted that there was still a clunking sound. The alignment guy found that the RF strut was bad. Looks like I am up for another project. Completed this one mid December 2016.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 R53 Cooper S in New Mexico - Indi Blue Mindi Journal-ibm-strut-mount-change-1.jpg   2004 R53 Cooper S in New Mexico - Indi Blue Mindi Journal-ibm-strut-mount-change-2.jpg   2004 R53 Cooper S in New Mexico - Indi Blue Mindi Journal-ibm-strut-mount-change-3.jpg   2004 R53 Cooper S in New Mexico - Indi Blue Mindi Journal-ibm-strut-mount-change-4.jpg  
Old 01-11-2018, 04:57 AM
Revenelson
1st Gear
Well, I haven't updated in a while!

I replaced the front struts too, due to a leaky strut on the right. At that time I changed the bumpstops and boots. I still have a light clunking in the front end when driving slowly and turning while going into a driveway.

In October I changed the ignition coil pack, and it seems smoother and fuel mileage has improved slightly. Highway mileage went from around 27 to around 28.5 average.

Currently, I'm changing the supercharger oil, some of the coolant hoses and the radiator. Also changing the tensioner and idler pulley, I'm pretty sure they are original. Keeping the stock supercharger pulley, because at this point I am more interested in maximum fuel mileage.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:26 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Gotta keep our Gen1s on the road.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:35 AM
Loyal242
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Could be lower control arm bushings, lower engine mount or ball joints. I replaced all three because they were bad on my R53. Everything was nice and tight afterwards.

Originally Posted by Revenelson
. . . I still have a light clunking in the front end when driving slowly and turning while going into a driveway. . .

Old 01-27-2018, 12:51 PM
Revenelson
1st Gear
Completed the Supercharger oil change, replaced most of the original cooling system.
Also replaced the belt tensioner assembly.
After driving for a few days everything seemed OK, until today when I drove with the window open. I'm getting a fuel smell coming from the left front wheel well area. I double checked to see if it was actually the engine bay as the source, but it is not. Since I didn't work on the fuel system, this is even more mysterious.