R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Please help, need guidance! (Wiring Harness)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 10:09 AM
brokencooper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help, need guidance! (Wiring Harness)

Hello, first time here.

My name is Preston and I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and am looking for any help at all.

I currently have an 02 Cooper S (with navigation - rare) with about 90k on it. The engine block was replaced around 70k. So this car could potentially run a while longer if I can figure this mess out.

So, took it into the dealer for the cluster and all other gauges not operational plus the battery constantly dying, the assumption is the main wiring harness (that surrounds the whole inside of the car) is bad and a new one needs to be put in. And that's just so the computer can do diagnosis on it to troubleshoot the other issues it has. The part runs about 2k and install another 2k. The car also needs a windshield, it's got some rust and corrosion, and isn't exactly in fine shape otherwise. Needs a muffler and brakes also. I wouldn't of had a problem throwing a few more grand into it but at this point, it's looking like a complete loss. So far, with the engine block and purchase price, I've dropped about 20-25k into this car, expecting to get many more miles out of it. It was my daily driver and went through some rough times so it did get neglected somewhat. Still, it's damn near a new engine. The car still runs fine. No speedometer or odometer. No heat or radio. A lot of the exterior lights don't work. It does have some extras like boost and alta intake. I thought selling it while it still drove is key.

I've looked around a bit for a cheaper harness, haven't had a ton of luck. Even if I found a used one from salvage, I wouldn't be able to install on my own. I'm handy, but not that tech savvy for BMW's. I stick to the grunt jobs, like brakes, oil changes, mechanical things, etc....

So anyone who catches this, spread the word. What would you do? Part the car out? Just try and sell the engine? I thought it would be a stellar project car for someone who can attempt the labor themselves. They could put a few grand of parts into it and have a solid machine with about 20k on the engine.

My original go to foreign car guy actually suggested I take it to the mini dealer. I'm running out of ideas on this one. I don't mind getting rid of it but there has to be someone out there that would take interest in this I would think.

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2016, 07:25 PM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
4 grand for a harness and install? For around 5 grand you can buy a running Cooper S and use your current one for parts.

Last edited by X757XVeritas; 03-26-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:43 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by X757XVeritas
4 grand for a harness and install? For around 5 grand you can buy a running Cooper S and use your current one for parts.
+1... what he said

Old 03-26-2016, 08:46 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Find a shop or mechanic with a multimeter to test the electrical system. Dealers are parts replacers not troubleshooters. When I first started driving we were always visiting shops that just did auto electronics, rarely was anyone suggesting wire harness replacement unless they burned up.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:52 AM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Sell the engine. Sounds like the rest of the car is toast. Maybe flood damaged?

If you are the DIY type, many people have reported the wiring harness chafing and getting damaged in the engine compartment under the DSC module/pump. I would examine the wires in that area closely with a flashlight and mirror.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brokencooper
So far, with the engine block and purchase price, I've dropped about 20-25k into this car, expecting to get many more miles out of it.
Hi Preston, Please enlighten me as to how you spent $20,000 on a 2002 cooper? Unless you bought this car brand new or 1 year old im struggling to add it up. As for selling it - no shot - you listed a complete basket case car - bad harness, lights don't work, rust etc...in the off chance you find someone who wants the shell only - they are only going to pay you what a shell is worth...$500??

Dump the car...there is really no point in spending anymore money on it - even running the car is only worth about $3500??

Old 03-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
mmmmmmm

navigation was not offered on the 02 . . . .

I had one (02 that is)

did not come out on MINI for several years after this . . . in the US anyway ... as I recall when the rag top came out, that was also the first time you could get NAV from the factory

So if you have it and I assume you are not the original owner, someone got creative and you have a BIG hack.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:24 PM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
Hi Preston, Please enlighten me as to how you spent $20,000 on a 2002 cooper? Unless you bought this car brand new or 1 year old im struggling to add it up. As for selling it - no shot - you listed a complete basket case car - bad harness, lights don't work, rust etc...in the off chance you find someone who wants the shell only - they are only going to pay you what a shell is worth...$500??

Dump the car...there is really no point in spending anymore money on it - even running the car is only worth about $3500??

I took it as him spending that much in repairs.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:27 PM
brokencooper
Neutral
Thanks for all the ideas. Bought the car used several years ago for about $14k. New block was $8k. Other repairs with several battery replacements were thousands on top of that. It is indeed a 2002 Cooper S with navigation, unless for some reason I have the year wrong on it. It still starts up and runs when you charge the battery. The navigation and computer doesn't come on and neither do the cluster, radio, heat & A/C. I totally agree that is seems very odd that the complete harness is just shot. I will check in that area for rotted/ripped wires as well. Should I decide to sell off the engine and other parts for salvage...do any of you know of good routes to take to find buyers for these sorts of things? I am waiting to hear from a couple more local guys that work on BMWs here in WI that could take another look at it. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:38 PM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Post the parts up here on the classifieds. But before you list them, do some research, I'm sure the prices are gonna be a lot lower than what you paid years ago.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:41 PM
brokencooper
Neutral

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 03-27-2016 at 03:50 PM. Reason: adj Img Sz
Old 03-27-2016, 03:42 PM
brokencooper
Neutral
Here's the diagnosis report if it sheds any light. I had an older XM radio installed in it right after I got it years ago. I'm wondering if that is the wiring taped in that they were talking about.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:46 PM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Sounds like you had someone do a hack job on the installs. That much wiring issues and the state of the rust you mention on the body. I'd buy a new car, or find one with a dead motor, and put your low mileage motor into it.

Then part out what you have left. Also from the bottom of that sheet you asked about a roof rack and spare key, I believe that's the last thing you need to worry about lol.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:54 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Holy crap they used shitty speaker wires and tape to main harness ? Who did the XM Radio install brokencooper ? Did the tech take any photos ?

Old 03-27-2016, 04:20 PM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
I had an issue with my doors constantly unlocking themselves that manifested at the same time as a rain storm so I assumed it was my bcm getting wet. When I pulled the trim out to check it out I found an aftermarket remote entry and alarm spliced into the harness into everything under the dash. Took a full day to pull it all out and repair the cut harness. And I'm good with wiring. As bad as yours is sounding I'd cut my losses and use it for parts. Doesn't make much sense to spend 4 grand on a harness install when you can buy a high mileage S for about the same price and put your motor in it.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:27 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry you put so much money into the car. Paying 14k and then having the engine blow is horrible.

I would highly suggest next time you buy a new car to search the internet for a fair price, for any car you purchase. I paid $5700 several years ago for my 02 with 89k miles on it.

Do you have recepits for your new engine?
Sounds like you can still start it so that will also help.
A quick search shows the engine is worth maybe 2,000 or more.
If the transmission shifts fine that is also worth at least 500
Supercharger still have oil in it? thats another 500 maybe.
Everything else will also bring decent money if it's in ok shape.

Since you can't work on the car yourself it might be a problem to part it out but hopefully you know someone that can help.

I would also suggest a different car. Mini's can be great, reliable car, but they can also be a nightmare as you already know. Knowing how to fix them is highly recommended to avoid having to pay high repairs costs.

Better luck with your next vehicle, time to give up on this one with all its problems. Just not worth putting more money into it, especially with it hitting that fun spot around 100k where everything else starts going. Suspension, clutch, ect...

Old 03-27-2016, 07:47 PM
BLokE_W_a_MINI
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, unfortunately looks like the cost of the repairs greatly exceed the value of the vehicle,...
Wiring can be iffy on these cars, looks like you had some water issues at some point (corroded wires) and also some Hackjob on some install, K-can is the communicating lane between modules, and if someone in avertedly spliced into it, most likely some of the modules are also fried, I would cut my losses and buy something with a better history that was hopefully not molested by the shade tree mechanic.
Good Luck!

Old 03-28-2016, 05:32 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
I took it as him spending that much in repairs.
Right - I want to know what the ***** cost $20k...That's the price the car retailed for when brand new

Old 03-28-2016, 05:58 AM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
Right - I want to know what the ***** cost $20k...That's the price the car retailed for when brand new
Simmer down. No need for the language. He might have bought it when it was only a few years old. Says he spent 14k on the car, the rest is in repairs. He made some questionable financial decisions. That's his mistake. No need to run him into the ground for it. He's here asking for help.

Don't keep making him feel bad. Help him.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:04 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Simmer down. No need for the language. He might have bought it when it was only a few years old. Says he spent 14k on the car, the rest is in repairs. He made some questionable financial decisions. That's his mistake. No need to run him into the ground for it. He's here asking for help. Don't keep making him feel bad. Help him.
Veritas - I'm not angry or meant the language distespectfully I'm just shocked and I'm giving him the tough love no one else wants to - he needs to move away from this car.

Last edited by Kahnfucious; 03-28-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:19 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by brokencooper
Preston, as others on this thread have said -- someone did some very bad things to this car in its previous life. Reading over the diagnosis from mini there are a couple of red flags to me: 1) Harness had been previously tapped into 2) Harness repaired with speaker wire

If you were in a position to gut this car and do a standalone system and didnt care about heat and AC and lights etc.. this could be a life gives you lemons make a race car that is not legal or practical for the street moment. IF you aren't in that position then - life has handed you lemons and you wont get any lemonade out of them.. (trying to add levity to a clearly very stressful situation for you). You need to let it go or learn to PIN and re-wire (it is not easy) -- the videos you see on Youtube of people making wiring harnesses from two cars go together to run a different engine -- that is HOURS and HOURS of work compressed into a 30 minute video.

I think the only viable option for you is to sell this car as parts -- are you able and do you have the space to pull an engine, transmission, everything else off of it. I doubt this hugely - but have you contacted your insurance company to discuss the ability for them to cut you a check? It isn't going to be much - -but maybe they will take the car off your hands and offer you book value -- incidental damage COULD potentially be covered -- under comprehensive??? Not sure -- talk to an agent.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:21 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Shawnnn
Sorry you put so much money into the car. Paying 14k and then having the engine blow is horrible.

I would highly suggest next time you buy a new car to search the internet for a fair price, for any car you purchase. I paid $5700 several years ago for my 02 with 89k miles on it.

Do you have recepits for your new engine?
Sounds like you can still start it so that will also help.
A quick search shows the engine is worth maybe 2,000 or more.
If the transmission shifts fine that is also worth at least 500
Supercharger still have oil in it? thats another 500 maybe.
Everything else will also bring decent money if it's in ok shape.

Since you can't work on the car yourself it might be a problem to part it out but hopefully you know someone that can help.

I would also suggest a different car. Mini's can be great, reliable car, but they can also be a nightmare as you already know. Knowing how to fix them is highly recommended to avoid having to pay high repairs costs.

Better luck with your next vehicle, time to give up on this one with all its problems. Just not worth putting more money into it, especially with it hitting that fun spot around 100k where everything else starts going. Suspension, clutch, ect...
EXACTLY Shawnnn -- he hasn't even started to feel the true MINI burn yet of all the maintenance and replacement items that are waiting.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:31 PM
brokencooper
Neutral
Hey guys-

Thanks for the input, believe me the troubleshooting is appreciated.

I actually spent months shopping for this car years ago. I saw it was #16 most reliable cars, so that made me feel good about avoiding expensive repairs I couldn't fix. It had about 30k on it. I was in sales and it was the abused go cart around the city. Some winter, lots of salt, periods of sitting. Water did get in through the sunroof sometimes and I fixed that...twice. It's been neglected enough and maybe I came back up with the funds too late to save it.

I guess I never thought it could come down to just a couple messed up wires on a harness and was curious my chances of just fixing the harness itself or maybe finding someone that could take it over from here. This forum and site I figured was my last chance or rather the old car's last chance. ; )

I loved that car. It was fast. Watching guys in Mustang's **** themselves was fun. : )

I'll investigate all your options, I don't really feel like taking the time to part it out, I've got other things to work on. And it will break my heart. Guess I wasn't ready to let it go.

Carry on fellas. Thanks Again.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:19 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just reread your posts and missed that you are in Wisconsin , what area are you in?

Sounds like you would rather keep it

Im no electrician but you might be able to get it working without giving the dealer all your money.

You could start by taking out whatever got hacked into the wires. It's not optimal I'm sure, but if you inspect the wires as best you can, and tape them up, I don't think a new harness is absolutely necessary. But like I said, I'm no electrician so maybe there's a better way to go about fixing hacked up wires. But I guess thats one of the reasons why you posted this in first place.

The dealer wanted to replace all the gauges. I haven't personally changed any of mine but it doesn't look too hard to do. You certainly don't need to buy brand new ones, just working ones. Maybe buy one at a time until it hopefully starts working? Or would be great to find someone parting one out that would give you good deal on all of them

I think it'll be hard to find someone willing to give you a good price it but you never know. Since you want to keep it together hopefully you get it running again. Good luck Preston.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:15 AM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
It's not just the wiring. His body is rusted out as well.