R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Tips on selling my mini

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by X757XVeritas
Pro tip, fold down the back seat that doesn't have the car seat and put the kid in through the back. Regardless. He states he has another daily driver, so unless he's in dire need of money I fail to see the need to sell.
Agreed - but it's still not enjoyable..we tried all kinds of gymnastics to make it work...climbing across with a baby carrier or unclipping. Setting it down ..All really are not fun. It also doesn't resolve the space issues with having two parents in the car. We choose the Subaru everytime. Even the Subaru feels like there isn't enough room for all the junk. We bought a roof box.

Last edited by Kahnfucious; 03-12-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:41 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
Don't know what your other vehicle happens to be but here's another thought: Take off the goodies and sell them here. Trade the MCS in on something that will really serve your purpose and be enjoyable to drive. Make the dealership give you the best possible deal. Then sell the other vehicle....Or trade them both in for the new vehicle. Whatever makes the most sense to you.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Don't trade the MCS - you're gonna get hosed. Source: I sell new and used MINIs.

Trade in market on these cars is rock bottom low because in general, the first gen cars are known for having a lot of issues (all of them predictable at this point, though). I know there's a buyer out there for your car, but the mods have to go.

Part it out (on here, especially) and then sell it. Even trade for OE parts if you don't have the stock stuff still.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:31 PM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Zillon
Don't trade the MCS - you're gonna get hosed. Source: I sell new and used MINIs.

Trade in market on these cars is rock bottom low because in general, the first gen cars are known for having a lot of issues (all of them predictable at this point, though). I know there's a buyer out there for your car, but the mods have to go.

Part it out (on here, especially) and then sell it. Even trade for OE parts if you don't have the stock stuff still.
I agree, keep it if you can.

My first daughter survived being in a 72 Super Beetle. Sound of the air-cooled motor put her to sleep within minutes after buckling her up in the car seat. I upgraded to the 4 door VW Thing when my second daughter was born:-)

Old 03-15-2016, 11:47 AM
AlaskaBimmer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a beater Lexus RX300 for hauling kids, now that they are older they can ride in the mini no problem.

Aside from the points the others have made about being overpriced (I paid $9500 for an 06 JCW last year) your ad only targets people looking for a mini.

I usually put a line at the bottom of the add that says "keywords: Ford, Mazda, Chevy, BMW, Porsche, fast, sports car, Lexus, Toyota, blah, blah, blah" so pretty much any car anyone searches for includes my ad. I sold our CRV a few years ago to a guy looking for a small truck, he said the ad popped into the trucks, and was actually more like what he wanted than a small truck, and he clicked on it so I know it's effective. Not everyone knows they want a mini until they see one pop up in the search results......

It also may be early to sell a summer car, Here since we have long winters April and May are hot summer car buying times, and October since people here have PFD checks in hand and people want to sell summer cars before winter hits....People don't buy summer cars if snow is on the ground.

If you have any local car clubs, autocross groups etc....I would post it there too, that crowd may be looking for something already modded (although not at that premium) so they don't have to buy all the parts and mod a stock one.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:00 AM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Oops, wrong thread.

Last edited by Racingguy04; 05-27-2016 at 11:06 AM.