North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 Fan trouble on a 2005 Cooper s (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/295709-fan-trouble-on-a-2005-cooper-s.html)

Dre.levasseur 11-14-2015 01:18 PM

Fan trouble on a 2005 Cooper s

I have a 2005 Cooper s that was recently in a bad accident. The car was repaired and running correctly till the day I wanted to pick up the car. Now the car has the fans kicking on almost imedeatly and a scan tool says its reading 260°f where in reality its not yet at 200. From the accident the radiator was replaced. Then the system was flushed and bled. It was running fine as stated untill it all of a sudden wasn't. The car did throw a code for coolant temp sensor and that part was replaced and the problem still persist. Any recommendations, fixes or just general knowledge that could help me fix this?

David.R53 11-14-2015 01:41 PM

Watch out for those temp sensors! They have a temper!

Sorry, but not sure what you meant by "violent temp sensor". The high reading would make me think the temp sensor is off. One thought - a common BMW problem - the body of the temp sensor is ground. If the shop went crazy with the sealant / Teflon tape it may not be grounded properly and giving bad readings. Use just a little and make sure some bare threads are exposed to create the ground.

PelicanParts.com 11-16-2015 02:12 PM

Were you able to get this figured out?

Dre.levasseur 11-16-2015 02:56 PM

Can't work on the car till thanksgiving weekend

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com (Post 4145418)
Were you able to get this figured out?

No I havnt, the car is at my moms while I'm at school and I can't work on it for a while. I was just looking for possible answer's so I can get right to work when I go there thanksgiving weekend.

PelicanParts.com 11-16-2015 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dre.levasseur (Post 4145448)
No I havnt, the car is at my moms while I'm at school and I can't work on it for a while. I was just looking for possible answer's so I can get right to work when I go there thanksgiving weekend.

Just a thought. Since this seems to have resulted after all the work was performed at the shop that did the fixes, have you called them to possibly bring it back? Did it throw a code for the temp sensor closely after all the repairs? Does the system have any codes being thrown currently?

Dre.levasseur 11-16-2015 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com (Post 4145452)
Just a thought. Since this seems to have resulted after all the work was performed at the shop that did the fixes, have you called them to possibly bring it back? Did it throw a code for the temp sensor closely after all the repairs? Does the system have any codes being thrown currently?

The car started acting funny and threw the coolant temp sensor code. So I had the shop replace the temp sensor, it seemed to work at first but then the fans kicked on early andusing a scan tool we determined it wasn't functioning properly. The shop is 2.5 hours from my mom's house where the car is stored. Also I am displeased with the shops reliability, I picked the car up 4 weeks late because they kept ordering wrong parts or not testing components that were clearly broken ( ac condensor was literally in the radiator and they didn't think it needed a radiator till it was leaking coolant) so I probably wouldn't bring it back. But I made sure they received the correct sensor from a authorized mini parts dealer(mini in Hartford ct)