North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 Guidance on selling a 2005 S (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/291595-guidance-on-selling-a-2005-s.html)

Toolman 08-05-2015 07:53 AM

Guidance on selling a 2005 S

Hi Everyone, I have a 2005 S hatch that has a 15% Helix supercharger pulley, new brakes (rotors and pads all around), new tires, Helix CAI, Short Shift kit, new emergency brake cables, new upper strut mounts for front shocks, new crank pulley (Super Damper I think), Brand new battery, Hotchkiss rear anti sway bar, Powerflex control arm bushings. Self leveling HID's, Sunroof, etc... The car is in Fair condition and has about 150k miles. The rear hatch has a dent and there is a small ding from a stone near the left headlight that is not really visible. The main problem is that it has a Lemon title. I purchased it with 32K miles on it and have put 120k relatively trouble free miles on it with the typical Mini issues and normal wear and tear. I did check with the selling dealer as to why it was a Lemon take back and it was primarily intake issues. Evidently, the owner had purchased 4 other cars from the Dealer and it was a close call on the Lemon law. The service manager was very familiar with the vehicle and off the record told me it would be a great buy. He was right as it has been OK for meIt needs new ABS sensors in the rear as well as the connector to the sensors. The stereo / CD player is a Kenwood and is OK but nothing spectacular. Also, I one-balled the exhaust. I have barely driven it for the past 2 years, mostly for some fun a few times each month. I got a company car and travel a lot, so I would like to sell it. What do you guys think I should ask for it given the Lemon Title? Any help would be appreciated! I am in NJ btw. Also, all of the work was performed by Helix in Philly. Thanks, Rich

sp_clark 01-19-2016 12:30 PM

You still have the car?

I'd sell it on the history you've had with it since taking possession. I doubt you'll get your money's worth for all the extra bits you've added, but from your description this certainly sounds like a good deal for someone.

I stuck with an early '07 S I should have "lemoned" out of given the recurrent issues that car had with crankcase breather issues over the 5-1/2 years I drove it. Finally traded it back to another dealer (97,000 on the clock) after diagnosis of oil being blown into engine wiring harness got resistance from third-party warranty adjuster after the last of 5-1/2 months in their shop.

I sold an '03 S with nothing special on it (but 135,000 miles!) for $6,000 after I bought that '07. My guess is you might be able to get something near that now if you do some broadcasting to find the right buyer.

However this ended up, let us know please.

ECSTuning 01-19-2016 01:19 PM

Put it up in the marketplace, see if you get for calls or PMs. , or find one like it or close.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e/cars/search/

Gitmoe 01-19-2016 02:31 PM

I just bought an '05 R53 6sp outside Philly (your general area) last week. Had 155k miles and a little bit of damage on the hood. Car wasn't running perfectly but ultimately just needed spark plugs and a basic tune up. I paid $3000. I felt that was pretty low. Car had a great maintenance record with both MINI and Carfax. Also had similar mods completed. Probably a few more.

ti22fjc 01-19-2016 04:50 PM

Wow. There are some good deals on MINIs out there...

studio47 01-19-2016 09:40 PM

I've attempted to reply to this thread 3 times now, so now it's the short reply. I recently bought a 2005 mcs with 145k miles with a clean carfax for $4k. I priced a lot of cars within a 1500 mile radius and I think your car would be around that with the lemon law title.

Minnie.the.Moocher 01-19-2016 10:43 PM

Hopefully the OP sold the car since he posted in August.

RB-MINI 01-19-2016 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by studio47 (Post 4166087)
I've attempted to reply to this thread 3 times now, so now it's the short reply. I recently bought a 2005 mcs with 145k miles with a clean carfax for $4k. I priced a lot of cars within a 1500 mile radius and I think your car would be around that with the lemon law title.

I hate when that happens:mad: On long posts I try to save all text periodically in case of website issues, just like backing up files when working for a long time.

ECSTuning 01-20-2016 06:50 AM

Its been a little buggy on post lately. I will send email to the site people.