R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Why Make It Faster?

Old 08-05-2004, 06:02 PM
427Cobra
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Make It Faster?

I have to ask this question... "Why Does (most) Everyone Want To Make Their MCS Faster"? The "Go Fast" parts are Expensive and it looks like a Bear to work on. My neighbors MCS at the beach has a 19% pulley, exhaust, the air filter/box mod etc. I rode in it and it is fast. I'd say upper 5's 0-60. (The Cobra will do low 4's) I'm not looking to get "Lamp Based" here just a honest question. For what a new MCS costs, add wheels and Go Real Fast parts and you could have a 427 Cobra.

I hope to have my MCS on the road in about 1 month. (Bought it wrecked.)

Whooooppppsss.... I forgot. I've always wanted a Mini I just never found a early one that the price was right on. I very happy what BMW did with the new ones.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by 427Cobra; 08-05-2004 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why do we have tuners? it's a hobby for some and for others its a customization thing. speed is one thing that the MINI lacks and we're merely doing what should've been done at the factory. MINI handles extremely well, and extra horses compliments that handling very well. If we all wanted HP monsters that are only good for drag, well then we'd all get Cobras like you said or Neon SRT-4.

MINI is a great package, and doing some performance mods only makes that package better. Also not everyone can afford to have multiple cars in their garage. I'd love to have a fast car if I just wanted to go fast like a Viper, an awesome handling car: Elise, feeling a bit wild: M3 CSL (i know i know not available in the US) etc. MINI serves as a daily driver for alot of them and much enjoyment can be had in tuning one's car and making it even better.

I'll be tuning my MCS when it arrives because I like tinkering w/ things and you get a benefit of making your car better.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:13 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Mike,

The bigger question is why not?

Old 08-05-2004, 06:13 PM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
No.... You can get a Cobra kit for that price. I'm sorry, but every kit I have ever seens has had one issue or another. For the $200 it costs for a pulley, you have a real power boost that is worth it, IMHO.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:14 PM
hafid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B/c to many of us, you have the convenince, character, comfort, style, features, ride, handling, looks, charm, appeal, interest, fun factor, and countless other things....with just a little more oomph.

Frankly, the car is hardly a bear to work on. I've worked on or watched several projects myself...the interior has been taken apart, the engine worked on, you name it...it's a snap..just need the tools.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:19 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
It must be some kind of primal, guy thing. I mean Shelby wanted to make an AC Ace go faster.

Personally, I don't see the draw but I can't argue with my buddies who do. My Cooper w/ lightweight 15" wheels is very quick for all my around town driving. I have no real desire or need to go faster. I really don't think I'm in the minority on this, but I am here on NAM and in our local MINI club. I would be more representative of the "milk run" crowd rather than the autocross crowd. Lots of (even most) MINI owners are simply excited about the marque. I hope we can always keep these owners in the enthusiast fold and not run them off because all we can talk about if performance mods. My opinion....

Old 08-05-2004, 06:35 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 427Cobra
I have to ask this question... "Why Does (most) Everyone Want To Make Their MCS Faster"? The "Go Fast" parts are Expensive and it looks like a Bear to work on. My neighbors MCS at the beach has a 19% pulley, exhaust, the air filter/box mod etc. I rode in it and it is fast. I'd say upper 5's 0-60. (The Cobra will do low 4's) I'm not looking to get "Lamp Based" here just a honest question. For what a new MCS costs, add wheels and Go Real Fast parts and you could have a 427 Cobra.

Mike
427Cobra,

While it might seem that "everyone" wants to make their MCS faster in fact out of about 800 MINIs sold in my state there are less than 20 MCS that have an upgraded pulley done aftermarket and about 15 JCW kit installs. Many of the rest are virtually stock and a few do have upgraded exhausts or intakes. I'd estimate at least 80%+ are left stock from a performance point of view.

So the vast minority of owners do have upgrades. Many do it for the fun of doing the upgrades esp if it is done by themselves. And many find the MCS more fun to drive, more responsive and a bit quicker or louder.

Some do it for a slightly better feel or lower time at autocross or on the track.

So it doesn't really matter if owners of either MC or MCS leave their cars stock or upgrade as long as they enjoy motoring. There is no pressing need to do any mods but people like being different and trying things out. The MINI is actually a pretty easy car to work on for basic mods.

The other aspect is that sites like NAM provide owners with lots of info on what to do and how to do it along with vendors that will sell product. This makes upgrading a whole lot easier.

Old 08-05-2004, 07:35 PM
wmba
3rd Gear
Not everyone wants a 427 Cobra either. The original ones are awesome cars, but that doesn't meant that everybody wants one.

Old 08-05-2004, 07:56 PM
orthomini
3rd Gear
my MCS is mostly stock. i did get to drive one with a pulley, chip , exaust, intake, lightened flywheel, stage 1 clutch, quaife, and suspension mods. all i can say is HS! that thing was fast and stuck like glue in the pouring rain. now i want mine like that. it was mckinneyminis car, a tuner in pa. this is how BMW should have made it to begin with. that car on the dragon would be a blast. now all i need is to win the lottery.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:12 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I got to drive a friend's JCW MCS. It was totally awesome! Still, I was and am prefectly content with, constantly thrilled by, an dvery proud of, my stock Cooper. Can someone explain this phenomenon!?!?!?!?

Old 08-05-2004, 08:18 PM
427Cobra
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by iamwiz82
No.... You can get a Cobra kit for that price. I'm sorry, but every kit I have ever seens has had one issue or another. For the $200 it costs for a pulley, you have a real power boost that is worth it, IMHO.
After being around a lot of different kits (for years) there are good ones and bad ones. Yes, it's possible to build a respectable kit for less than $20k yourself or I'll build it (FFR ONLY) FOR $26K... or I'll sell my Viper Blue car for $35k (second place 2001 Shelby America Car Club in Charlotte NC) & includes a hardtop. No power windows, no radio, no power brakes... but it does have a heater. Parts are cheap and easy to work on.

My opinion is the Mini S is pretty quick. That's the biggest reason I ask why. I like other peoples opinions. A really good one might help me justify doing something to mine.

I've worked on Pierce Arrows to Peterbilts so I have a pretty good opinion of how much of a pain it could be to install a supercharger pulley. (The stuff my neighbor bought was $2k+.) Just like any engine the more HP you get out of it, the added Go Fast Parts will reduce the life or durability.

Thanks guys.

Mike

Old 08-05-2004, 08:19 PM
LtlLnor
1st Gear
Because. I wanted a MINI. I wanted it to go faster. And, I enjoy working on it. That's about it.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:49 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
I don't care to make my car 'faster' just want more responsiveness to
the kind of driving I do. Personally, I think the MCS is fast enough out
of the box, just doesn't breath all that great with its restrictive
intake/exhaust at high rpm so the intake and exhaust were swapped
out.

The wheels were swapped out because factory wheels are just too
darn heavy and brake effort was just too much. springs swapped out
because the ride too high and bouncy from the linear rate springs..
swaybar swapped because the roll was too great with the lowering
springs, etc. my parts all have its own reasons and try not to
distort the original performance of the car. Just enhance it a little
more to my liking.

I don't care to have a 13sec MCS or a 0-60 of less than 6sec...
I don't care if a vette is faster than my mcs off the line. If I want
to drag race, I have another car for that.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:53 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by jds
I got to drive a friend's JCW MCS. It was totally awesome! Still, I was and am prefectly content with, constantly thrilled by, an dvery proud of, my stock Cooper. Can someone explain this phenomenon!?!?!?!?
No,I can't explain it,but I feel the same,and I like the feeling

Old 08-05-2004, 11:35 PM
lotsie
Banned
At least no one wants to make them slowerWell maybe BMW if they water them down

Old 08-06-2004, 07:13 AM
Rondor
1st Gear
I am not a kit car guy but more power to you as long as YOU like them.

You also forget the fact that your fast 427 big block couldnt stay in sight of my MINI once we got into the twisties.

You enjoy yours and we will enjoy ours and everyone will just enjoy

Originally Posted by 427Cobra

I hope to have my MCS on the road in about 1 month. (Bought it wrecked.)

Whooooppppsss.... I forgot. I've always wanted a Mini I just never found a early one that the price was right on. I very happy what BMW did with the new ones.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 08-06-2004, 01:48 PM
427Cobra
2nd Gear
I am sorry that I offended some people by asking "Why". I take the low-flame comments as funny. I guess I've never thought about "Hot Rodding" a front wheel drive car and all owners should take my "I think they're pretty fast" comment and a Big Compliment. Did some people not understand that I am one of you?

I like the Mini's.

If you're in SC come by and we'll go for a spin.

Mike

Old 08-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
I didn't take offence..I think though since you are a 427 cobra owner it's one of htose things the I get from alot of american mucle car drivers...Like HA why did you bother it's never keep up (in a staight line).....funny thing though...the mini is alot more sexy than any mustang or camaro...and the best part is with a little modding it will give it a good challange...and there really are not that many guys who can take therecars to the point of being as fast as a cobra...and ofcourse the element of suprise...I love that...

some kid raced me last night in a jetta that was turboed...it was so loud I mean when the turbo spooled I thought I was gunnah get sucked in...but hte best part was I down shifted got on his butt and he couldn't pull on me...LOL my car is stock...I can't wait to mod it and do that to a corvette...LOL...cause even if it turns out to be a ZO6...yeah that'll pull on me ..so what...it some huge V8 no suprise....but if he doesn't cause i am making 250+hp (power to wieght ratio) LOL that's great!! can't wait to see the look on his/her face...LOL...for me it' just fun...you could give me an F40...and you know what I'd do...get the upgraded intercoolers...cause it's would just be kewl to make it even faster...LOL

I had some chick tell my it isn't possible cause her husband knows cars and it's not possible to get a 4 banger to make more than like 150 hp..I was like...oh ok...and didn't say anythign else...she drives a 71 challenger ...brrrrrrring it...LOL

I am a fan of the Cobra so you know...and any great car out there that has stood apart...my buddy has a suprecharged Z06 549 hp ...I have repect for that car...would I ever get one...noway...I am a euro guy....maybe a cobra someday...just to have...I like roasters....

So Mike...why not...it's fun...it makes yours different...modding is more than HP it's character...

Is your cobra stock...or does it have an intake and side pipes....how about a supre charger? SWEET!!! LOL Supra Killer?

Chris

Last edited by Tüls; 08-06-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:22 PM
countrym
6th Gear
Here's my thinking:

I bought an MCS because I really wanted one when I first saw it, and wanted it even more after I drove it. It has everything I want: style, personality, handling, fun, good power, a reasonable price and decent mileage.

Then I thought, "It would be cool to add some more juice." And reading about all the performance mods on NAM only fed my curiosity.

So I bought an intake, which I installed last week. I love it. And I'm sure I'll add something else eventually. And then something after that.

The thing is, though, I wanted a MINI first. I could have had more power and a lower 0-60 for the same price, but I couldn't get all of the things I mentioned above. So the performance mods aren't about trying to build a hot rod, they're about adding to the fun factor of an already excellent car.

Old 08-06-2004, 02:23 PM
jack07734
4th Gear
You can get a 427 Cobra for 20k Where?

IMHO the 427 is highly over rated. It is a little know fact that the 427 never won a major race. All of the victories of note came not with the 427 but the 289 Cobra.

If I were going to own one the 289 would be a better car for running down the twisties than the 427.

Cheers,
Jack

Old 08-06-2004, 02:23 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jds

Old 08-06-2004, 02:37 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I suppose it's obvious why people want MINIs to be faster - because people want everything to be faster (hey, you didn't go for the 289 did you?!)

I, on the other hand, think my MCS might be a little too fast (blasphemy, I know) for daily driving. I'm still breaking it in, and feel like even with the 4500 rpm limit during break-in the car is plenty of fun. I had a 1.8T Jetta, with 13 fewer hp and 200 more pounds to pull around, and felt like that was a great power-to-weight ratio for a car I use primarily for commuting - I could wind it out in 3rd gear without worrying about losing my license. The MCS will require me to be more careful!

However, once the engine is broken in and I take her up to the mountains for some exercise, I'm sure I'll feel differently! Not enough to spend a bunch of money to make her even faster, but I'm sure I'll appreciate all 163 horses.

Old 08-06-2004, 02:38 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Lots of reasons to mod one then to keep it stock. You could buy a STI or a host of other cars with the mod money but it's not a mini. Sport Compact Car named the mini with the jcw kit installed as one of it's top 8 cars to buy for under 30k. The reasons go on.

One thing is that I can use the coop for almost everything. That can't be said for the Cobra kit car with any type of engine installed.

Old 08-07-2004, 04:33 AM
resmini
6th Gear
I like my MC just fine the way it is and wouldn't want to change anything.

P.S. Anybody heard the RSpeed MC exhaust? If so, whatta you think?

Old 08-08-2004, 08:42 AM
427Cobra
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jack07734
You can get a 427 Cobra for 20k Where?

IMHO the 427 is highly over rated. It is a little know fact that the 427 never won a major race. All of the victories of note came not with the 427 but the 289 Cobra.

If I were going to own one the 289 would be a better car for running down the twisties than the 427.

Cheers,
Jack
Jack, If you re-read what I wrote... "You Can Build it yourself for less than 20k". I'll post a link to a Standard FFR build. I know the owner and he still has the car. (Sorry, I'm sure he won't take $17k for it.)
http://gallery.factoryfive.com/galle.../burnstin.html Neither of the two Cobra's I built were "Standard Builds" just like the FFR manual says. If you go by the book you can still build a kit for less than 20k. There's cars on the FFCobra site you can buy for low 20's but as you know Kia and BMW don't build the same car! In my opinion big block Fords are not necessary in a 2000 pound car. Small blocks are cheap, tough as heck and you can get 400 HP out of them reasonably.

I like the 289's also. There's been several companies that have prommised to build them. (Maybe Superformance has one now?)

Please drive safe. Looking for wrecked Mini's I've found a bunch of them totalled with very low miles.

Mike

Last edited by 427Cobra; 08-08-2004 at 08:48 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 Why Make It Faster?