North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 Rear Sway Bar (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/291239-rear-sway-bar.html)

JaysinStrife 07-28-2015 11:21 AM

Rear Sway Bar

Fellow Miniacs!

I'm looking to grab a TSW rear sway bar soon and I'm curious what other goodies should I grab to go along with the install? Any parts I should look at swapping out while I'm down there? There have been mother mods to the suspension and in terms of maintenance I believe shocks/struts are the only thing that's been done. Car has less than 61K so anything I can get a jump on Id appreciate.

Thanks for the help and advice.

NC TRACKRAT 07-28-2015 11:46 AM

You'll want to install adjustable end links when you install the rear bar. Adjust them so there's no preload on either side while the vehicle is level and full weight on it's tires. Suggest considering polyurethane rear control arm bushings. while you're back there.

PelicanParts.com 07-28-2015 12:30 PM

A good compliment with the sway bar is a set of adjustable end links as stated above. Otherwise, just throwing some other suspension options out there to do now or in the feature. I really love Powerflex bushings. When it comes time to replacing bushings or if you're wanting to just upgrade now, take a look at them here and we have a DIY article here. They help with prolonged tire life, improved performance, better handling and they are more cost-effective than OEM bushings. Some other goodies to upgrade are the rear control arms. This may only interest you if you're wanting to have more adjustability with your rear camber. Can check out the Hotchkis adjustable rear control arm set up. If you plan to DIY the sway bar, check out our tech article here for assistance if needed. :thumbsup:

Fly'n Brick 07-28-2015 01:33 PM

KONI FSD struts! Dig thru the vendors for sale price near half.

JaysinStrife 07-28-2015 07:04 PM

I plan to do lower springs so are FSDs advised? Also, I thought about adjustable end links but wouldn't be sure how to dial those in. I like all the advice/opinions so please keep em coming.

WayMotorWorks 07-28-2015 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by JaysinStrife (Post 4107511)
I plan to do lower springs so are FSDs advised? Also, I thought about adjustable end links but wouldn't be sure how to dial those in. I like all the advice/opinions so please keep em coming.

No lowering springs with FSDs:no:

You don't need any other parts with a rear sway bar. Don't get me wrong we'd love to sell you more, but the bar will work fine by itself. We often hear vendors tell people they have to get end links cause the stock ones are weak, which is totally untrue. Most end link failures are cause by install or accidents.

JaysinStrife 07-29-2015 07:59 AM

Thanks for that Way! I just figured if I'm going to take something apart I may as well beef it up at the same time.

I do appreciate that you aren't trying to over sell things, haha!

WayMotorWorks 07-29-2015 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by JaysinStrife (Post 4107638)
Thanks for that Way! I just figured if I'm going to take something apart I may as well beef it up at the same time.

I do appreciate that you aren't trying to over sell things, haha!

Oh I still want to sell you, just don't want to be a vendor posting in every thread trying to sell something. Want to earn business on my knowledge and honesty.