R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Thinking about trading in my R56 JCW for a R53 JCW

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:30 PM
'10JCW
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking about trading in my R56 JCW for a R53 JCW

So this last few weeks have been terrible, timing chain, modules, and a battery to list a few. I get the car back and two days later it starts rattling again! I am so done with the N14, but I can't afford a good N18, so I am looking to trade for a R53 JCW. I read it it tough to modify a JCW, specifically a puppy reduction. Is there any benefit to a R53 JCW other than a slightly higher starting place (R56 JCWs have built internals and a slightly larger turbo)? Anything you all suggest, GP is out of the question as the wife wants the back seat. Thanks all and hopefully I am not jumping the gun on this, but I am sick of the N14 woes....

Old 01-11-2015, 10:27 PM
cesare
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go for the R53 JCW as its a sure-fire future classic and you wont get tired of driving it.

I was thinking of going to a R56 but i just prefer the relative simplicity and directness of the R53 and they are pretty much bulletproof compared to the later Mini's.

My R53 makes me feel like i'm getting to drive a modern E30 BMW in a slightly different package. I love this little car.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
If you are looking for the reliability of the R53 you can put a 210hp JCW engine package on any S for under $8K.

I have been lucky to find two MINIs with the (R52, R53) JCW packages on them so I know they are out there.

Best of luck no matter what you do.

Moto on!

Old 01-12-2015, 05:52 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
That will be among the best decisions you'll ever make.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
the difference between the JCW and S first gen is preety small, and the S is very easily modded to what a JCW can do, use that piece of information. I understand your issues with your 2nd gen, my GF has a 2nd gen and has been in the shop 3 times, and its a justa, whereas mine has only been once and that's because she broke my tranny =) a story in it self. an 05/06 S will be cheaper than finding a JCW and easier. a first gen GP will be very hard to find... good thing your not looking for one. although one thing to consider, the back seat in first gens is nearly useless, no one can sit behind me for very long other wise their knees would be permanently bent. I am considering a rear seat delete than can be easily swapped.

the 1st gen JCW had a 12% pulley, 380cc injectors, a different tune to work these injectors, a mildly head ported exhaust, flapper airbox, and a catback system. The airbox and the catback are usually the only things that are kept. otherwise, people put a 17% pulley on it, most even get a CAI since we love the sound of the whine.

There was also slightly larger brakes, aero kit, badging. the springs could be red. same dampers. and any interior bits. the mild porting apparently is nothing more than removing a small scale of the casting, but doesn't make more power. the power difference comes from the pulley

Old 01-12-2015, 09:30 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by '10JCW
... looking ... for a R53 JCW. I read it it tough to modify a JCW, specifically a puppy reduction. Is there any benefit to a R53 JCW other than a slightly higher starting place ...
A R53 JCW is a MCS model with a JCW Engine Tuning Kit. These kits will either be 200bhp (dealer fit) or 210bhp (dealer fit or factory option). The factory JCW Package also included JCW Sport Brakes and LSD. For more details on these kits ...

1st Gen MCS JCW Tuning Kits and Factory Models - The MINI Wiki

Depending on year the JCW Kit adds about $1000 - $2000 to the market value of a 1st Gen MCS.

I'm not sure it makes sense to look for a MCS JCW if you plan on modding the car for more horsepower.

Originally Posted by JABowders
If you are looking for the reliability of the R53 you can put a 210hp JCW engine package on any S for under $8K.
You'd have to be nuts to go this route. Going with aftermarket performance parts would be way cheaper and just as reliable.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:00 PM
'10JCW
3rd Gear
are the back seats smaller than the R56?

The only thing I am leery of, is it seems power output is limited/more expensive than a R56. I guess if I am wasting tons of money keeping the thing on the road though, it is a mute point.

How much more reliable is the R53. I watched a buyers guide and it seemed that other than the PS pump inlet hoses, the mushrooming, and leaky gaskets. Thanks

Old 01-12-2015, 12:42 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
I'll bet the rear seat leg room in the R53 and R56 are pretty much the same.

The only thing I am leery of, is it seems power output is limited/more expensive than a R56.
How much horsepower are you looking for?

Old 01-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The only thing I am leery of, is it seems power output is limited/more expensive than a R56. I guess if I am wasting tons of money keeping the thing on the road though, it is a mute point.

How much more reliable is the R53. I watched a buyers guide and it seemed that other than the PS pump inlet hoses, the mushrooming, and leaky gaskets. Thanks

The seats themselves are prolly the same, but the overall size of the r56 is larger than the r53, just take a look at the dimensions, and those dimensions work in favor of the rear seat. I can sit in the rear seat of the r56 with minimal discomfort, not my r53.

reliable? seems like anything over the n14 is reliable. don't forget about potential PTO gears on the supercharger and that it will already be an older car

Old 01-12-2015, 01:21 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Listen, man. I can't speak about R56 ownership, as I have an R53. I'll say this though: I've owned 16 or so cars since age 17 (32 now). Almost all of them were performance oriented, some of them downright scary fast. I have what's affectionately self-described as "Car A.D.D.", and look to change cars every year as I work through my "list". I've been considering selling my R53 for a while now, but for the life of me cannot think of a car that I'll enjoy driving as much as this R53.

Get the R53 to a very modest 200whp, and add some coilovers, sway-bars, rubber and quality brake pads, and you'll just have a blast. It sounds like you've educated yourself on the car's faults, so you know what to look for. I say pull the trigger.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:25 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Making the swap is more about the devil you know vs the devil you don't know....
The r53's are far from perfect, but mine has been great.
I would suggest that finding a well cared for, adult driven car is the most important thing...
Getting the JCW power with a few mods on a stock S IS TRIVIAL....EASY actually....most modded S's make more power than the typical stock JCW, heck mine does....200 HP to the WHEELS vs 210 to the crank, with just an intake, pulley, injectors and tune...could get more if I changed out the stock exaust, but heck, why bother...
The JCW did come with a SLIGHTLY ported head, so the tq band feels SLIGHTLY different, but I would say, getting a good car to start is more important...
And go test drive a few..they feel 100% different than a gen2..noise, feel, bumps, etc...and with age..some have aged well, but most are about the age and miles where many become money pits!!

Old 01-12-2015, 02:49 PM
'10JCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
I'll bet the rear seat leg room in the R53 and R56 are pretty much the same.

How much horsepower are you looking for?
I was looking for a modest 250 WHP and 200+WTQ. Right now my JCW is 222WHP and 235WTQ

Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
I was looking for a modest 250 WHP and 200+WTQ. Right now my JCW is 222WHP and 235WTQ
That type of power from a R53 is going to cost you. There's no point in paying a premium for a R53 with a JCW tuning kit.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:38 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Buy a car that comes with more power. Ever consider that? We all spend so much time fiddling with cars to get to XXX power or what have you, when we could just buy a factory capable car in the first place.

250whp from an R53 is going to require a high-flow cylinder head (a real one, not JCW), 17% pulley, camshaft, injectors, tune, intake, header, catback. That might get you there. The appeal of the R53, for most, is it's handling prowess and the visceral driving experience it offers. If you're trying to play the numbers game, again, just go buy a car that A) Has more power, and B) Has more aftermarket support.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:47 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Done right, it is reliable...
DaveO has a daily with those specs...lots of RMW parts, including a RMW header, tune, injectors, and meth.....not sure about the head/cam off the top if my head...
220 is OK with the stock head...more really usually needs more flow, so a bvh is prudent...
Know he is active on the other "unmentionable" website that gets ************** out....I might suggest contacting or looking at his mod list do you know what is ahead...making power with a r53 is not quite as simple as with a turbo...but the general durability of the block, pistions, etc help lots!!

Old 01-12-2015, 03:52 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
That type of power from a R53 is going to cost you. There's no point in paying a premium for a R53 with a JCW tuning kit.
Going that route...might make sense to find one with a blown motor, and start fresh...
That much HP and parts on a unknown motor would make me nervous as heck....

Old 01-12-2015, 05:04 PM
'10JCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
Buy a car that comes with more power. Ever consider that? We all spend so much time fiddling with cars to get to XXX power or what have you, when we could just buy a factory capable car in the first place.

250whp from an R53 is going to require a high-flow cylinder head (a real one, not JCW), 17% pulley, camshaft, injectors, tune, intake, header, catback. That might get you there. The appeal of the R53, for most, is it's handling prowess and the visceral driving experience it offers. If you're trying to play the numbers game, again, just go buy a car that A) Has more power, and B) Has more aftermarket support.
You are right, and I dont know. I mean, a WRX is way more practical and reliable, but it just seems to ricer to me once you start modding. I just cant seem for the life of me to think of a car like the mini that is classy, upgradeable, and so much fun. I absolutely love the R56. I love the turbo spool, the woosh, the good amounts of torque and even the interior......I just dont know if I can swallow the hefty repairs, the headaches of starting the vehicle, or constant "extra maintenance (thermo housing, decoking, etc)"

Last edited by '10JCW; 01-12-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:42 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
You are right, and I dont know. I mean, a WRX is way more practical and reliable, but it just seems to ricer to me once you start modding. I just cant seem for the life of me to think of a car like the mini that is classy, upgradeable, and so much fun. I absolutely love the R56. I love the turbo spool, the woosh, the good amounts of torque and even the interior......I just dont know if I can swallow the hefty repairs, the headaches of starting the vehicle, or constant "extra maintenance (thermo housing, decoking, etc)"
A brand new WRX in stock form makes 220whp, so it's funny you would use that as en example. Sure, power delivery is different, but your JCW makes as much power and is far lighter. Grass is always greener, I suppose. WRX's these days are synonymous with flat brim hat sporting goons. I had a WRX wagon, and while it was fun, the scene lacks maturity.

I won't clog the thread with car options, BUT, if "spool sound, interior quality, aftermarket support, class, and torque" is up your alley, maybe you should be looking at a 2008+ VW GTI...

Old 01-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I came from a 14' wrx. Hated the gas mileage it got. 22mpg on a good day.

Sent from cellular device.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:50 PM
'10JCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
A brand new WRX in stock form makes 220whp, so it's funny you would use that as en example. Sure, power delivery is different, but your JCW makes as much power and is far lighter. Grass is always greener, I suppose. WRX's these days are synonymous with flat brim hat sporting goons. I had a WRX wagon, and while it was fun, the scene lacks maturity.

I won't clog the thread with car options, BUT, if "spool sound, interior quality, aftermarket support, class, and torque" is up your alley, maybe you should be looking at a 2008+ VW GTI...
Yea if WRXs are immature goons, GTIs are the Jersey Boys of immature goons. I have never met a GTI driver that hadnt 1) wore Ed Hardy or Affliction and 2) didnt have an absurd flat brimmed hat collection......no thanks

That is another good thing about the R56, 34MPG on the highway, no other car will touch it with 200+ WHP

Old 01-12-2015, 05:51 PM
'10JCW
3rd Gear
Well I am sold on buying a R53. Now I just got to list my R56 on autotrader

Old 01-12-2015, 06:19 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Yea if WRXs are immature goons, GTIs are the Jersey Boys of immature goons. I have never met a GTI driver that hadnt 1) wore Ed Hardy or Affliction and 2) didnt have an absurd flat brimmed hat collection......no thanks

That is another good thing about the R56, 34MPG on the highway, no other car will touch it with 200+ WHP
Funny how much that varies from state-to-state. Generally speaking, MK5 and newer GTI's are driven by more mature late 20's & early 30's men here in Upstate NY. GTI gets 34mpg on freeway, and it's not uncommon for the MK6 and MK7 to dyno 200whp in stock form. VW underrated those cars from the factory.

Anyhow, good luck w/ your search & feel free to check out my MINI which happens to be for sale, haha.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:21 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I too had a high powered R56...and while it was fun, I got tired of the issues as well.

Came from an R53 originally, so I always wanted to go back to a 53. Found a low mile GP a few years ago online, bought it site un-seen from another state and haven't looked back, I'll never get rid of it. You won't regret! The R53 is great once you get it above the 215whp mark...and the fun factor just continues to go up exponentially as you climb from there. I'm at 231whp and have been satisfied for a couple years now....but I foresee a head in my near future to join the 250+ club.

Good luck in your search!

Old 01-12-2015, 06:58 PM
'10JCW
3rd Gear
Can you still buy OEM parts for the R53, like the GP intercooler? Also, it seems the exhaust and ported head on the JCW package do not make a difference? If not, that really frees up some cash for immediate mods?

Old 01-12-2015, 07:34 PM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
The porting is extremely minimal. Maybe accounts for like an extra hp or 2.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Thinking about trading in my R56 JCW for a R53 JCW