R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 all things electric started either coming on or not working????

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:36 PM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you ZippyNH and minibx....you made my day...been stressing over the wiring, thinking what the heck would that entail to replace...my old man had gotten me this little plastic box 6x4 that has different bits and a quick connect handle...that's where i found the the P1,2 and 3 toric bits, never knew why he got it for me....am sure i can take to Sears and show them and get the size bits i need...awesome!....been raining here and suppose to for next few days...but have shop vac and a carpet cleaner extractor i can use...will look into other regarding BCM....if i could get that programmed it would sure save be some too hard to earn cash, ya know....You have been so great to have...it truly makes it not something so important that i have to face alone.
Sincerely,
Debra

Old 05-16-2014, 07:07 AM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
Hey minibx....checked out ECS site. module states that is only for hardtop...i have sunroof (which started this journey because train tube on passenger side came loose), did search on their site and strange thing is it finished filling out info but when hit search, they came back with product not found???...thanks for info though...i do sincerely appreciate, Debra. girly ps...thanks for letting me know what WMW stood for....lol.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:38 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Hardtop with a sunroof is STILL A HARDTOP...it is an option added to a hardtop.....
the references is to show it is NOT a RAGTOP, aka cabrio or droptop part.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yep +1, There is one BCM for the Hardtop ( R50 / R53 ) 2002-2006 ( with or without the sunroof ) which minibx linked. States R50/ R53 on the sticker also. Which is what you want. Part # 61356982114

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/61356982114/

And there is one for the MINI Convertible ( R52 ) 2005-2008 Part # 61356982115 Which is for the convertibles only which started in 2005.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/61356982115/ES169199/

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-16-2014, 08:58 AM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
Hey ZippyNH...man you are a God send!....yeah ECS has part for $375.35...doesn't mention being programmed...tried web sites for WMW and Pelican...WMW was a joke as far as searching for part and was not open when i called...Pelican list part at around price you had mentioned but have not been able to call as yet. I got my 7 lb. Bentley book yesterday...seems worth every ounce. Feel bad not being able to really work on the water issue still in car and know it's not good the longer it sits like that...which leads to the issue (say i am lucky enough to get programmed unit) how can i be sure that wiring is dried out and not going to fry new one?....thanks once again, Debra

Old 05-16-2014, 09:10 AM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
Hi there ECSTuning...kudos for having a easier web site to navigate....soooo, am doing this myself and question...can i get that pre-programmed from you and also as i had asked my main guy ZippyNH....what about the wiring being so wet?...how can i be sure i don't fry the new unit?...Please bare with me, am a girl on a minimum wage budget, BUT, determined and not afraid of hard work.
Sincerely, Debra

Old 05-16-2014, 09:10 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Reconnect the sunroof drains....done....
Now suck out the pooled water...should have been the first thing....
Then let it dry...a fan...maybe some heat...lots of airflow....when all is dry...then you can install new parts...

Old 05-16-2014, 09:16 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
A camera dehumidifier might help you dry out the BC1. Just try cleaning the terminals w/ contact cleaner & dry them w/ a hair dryer. The wires are insulated & shouldn't give you problems.
If problems persist, try giving your VIN to ECS & ask if they could have a new BC1 pre-programmed to how the options were off the factory.

Last edited by minsanity; 05-16-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:00 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zarkinfrude
Hey minibx....checked out ECS site. module states that is only for hardtop...i have sunroof (which started this journey because train tube on passenger side came loose), did search on their site and strange thing is it finished filling out info but when hit search, they came back with product not found???...thanks for info though...i do sincerely appreciate, Debra. girly ps...thanks for letting me know what WMW stood for....lol.
Hey Debra, sorry for not responding sooner, I didn't see your post until now but I see that you already got your answer :-). Chances are that ECS will not be able to pre program a new unit but you never know, IF you do need a new unit budget around $500.00 for the unit plus programming since you are doing the labor so you are saving major labor cost. Hopefully your current unit will work after doing what was advised above.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:00 AM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
Yep ZippyNH...drain tube fixed, sucked out water on floorboard, suppose to be dry weekend...getting tool to really get the sill/footwell kick panel trim off...am going to use my moms carpet cleaner with small extractor to get down in there where wiring is (will be careful not to damage wiring)...basically gonna be a sucky weekend...lol!...sent off message to ECS and am going to try and contact Pelican and WMW also on new BC1/BCM....with hope for programmed unit. A few prayers, maybe some questions, read through parts on Bentley book and just perhaps a couple beers.....Have a good one!....thank you as always!
Sincerely.
Debra

Old 05-16-2014, 10:10 AM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
No problem minibx...as always all you guys have been great, couldn't have got this far without you all!...My Bentley book is awesome! Like you said saving myself the labor, which is $150 per hr. at mini dealer here, has paid for book...the programmed thing is really about my concern over how to get car to "any" reputable mini mechanic to program new unit...was told be daughters ex guy that once i take out the unit in it, the car will not run...but hey cross that one and think positive, right?! Thanks again!
Sincerely,
Debra

Old 05-16-2014, 10:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Zarkin - thanks, we appreciate it. We cannot get them pre-programmed. You will have to get it programmed to your VIN and options by MINI or someone who has access to MINI programming software. Shop around for prices.

I know some people have been able to dry out the unit and save it, some have had them short or corrode due to extended water contamination. Completely dry out the area and the wire connections. Like minsanity mentioned. Check all connections for damages and check the pins physically for corrosion between the pins on the harness comb.

Thanks and hope that helps.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also in case it wasn't advice before, make sure that you disconnect the negative cable from the battery and secure it so that it will not return and make contact by accident while you are working on you car. If you are removing the seat and you disconnect the airbag cable with the battery connected chances are that it will trigger your SRS light for the airbag system.
If you dry the unit and still gives you issues you may be able to drive it to the shop ( fingers crossed) God willing you should be able to.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:22 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem when I was too aggressive washing the engine one time. I did not use a hair dryer or anything else to dry the BCM and it was a couple weeks before the car healed itself and was back to normal. Please do not buy a new or used BCM until you try even 4 or 5 times to dry everything out. If drying will work it will save you a ton of money.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:01 AM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
alrightie...as i mentioned on 5/2 driving home from work, a a major rain storm...the first thing i noticed was blinker going crazy, it wasn't till a bit later, still driving i noticed a waterfall of water coming in at bottom front of passenger sill. As i had had a similar but smaller, never soaked back floor board issue on driver side when washing car. stc., & friend fixed sunroof drain hose (the problem). In my neglect to learn about my baby and as the driver side had caused no major problems, i wasted valuable time. I had gone on NAM, couple times and been frustrated trying to find similar problems under "stock issues". Finally deciding to post my own problem...i began to learn. (FYI) the front and back passenger side floor board had dried out to some degree, ie., the water wasn't standing!...but while it sat on street we had another down pour and again, both had been drenched.
Even in my first post i did not mention the water issue, not knowing the connection. I Have fixed the sunroof drain hose on the passenger side and know from rains since that it is fixed. With the help of NAM (ZippyNH) and others and the purchase of a Haynes & Bentley (Thanks ZippyNH) Book, i have finally done what i should have long ago. Am on own as far as working on my baby, was going to tackle removing sill/footwell kick panel trim last weekend but ran up against trouble not having correct size toric bit for Torx bolt on lower seat belt anchorage. Yesterday went and got T50 bit and it came off (like butta).....finally got trim completely away and had look.
Pulled up carpet in front as much as could and saw the near 4-5 inches of foam under...it was soaked!...Noticed rust on bolt on seat belt anchor and some on rim that weather strip is on ironically at same area as bolt, also notice that panel had a cracked piece missing, again in same area...irony, i don't think. Any way, started using my Dad's 4.25hp shop vac but was so disheartened by that massive foam and knowing how much water it could hold, also being able to get my arm underneath to feel actual metal floor towards center console and feel wetness. The two places i have mentioned where only place i saw rust or corrosion. BCM/BC1 showed no visible corrosion that i could detect. That black wrap around wiring that reminds me of latex bandage wrap but black is of course soaked.
Knowing how soaked the front and back floorboard had gotten not once but twice, i made the call of not spending day sucking with vac, figured it would fry before i could get all that water out (especially that thick foam).
So.....a few thoughts...1) i can't do proper job of even trying to dry out with passenger seat in (as i see it) and yes they are heated. 2) replace entire floor carpet, because even if i think it is dry, the foam alone could still harbor mold down the road.
I can't give up and Won't...but here is my working on it situation:
Only me
carport (no garage)
can't air out other that opening doors and boot, because opening windows or sunroof is hit and miss situation if they will close given electrical (don't ask, i know)
another FYI...know the song "Sail"?...about ADD...that's me...may seem stupid to bring up but you all have been so good to me, figure i should be honest or at least let you know that i didn't get myself...my baby in this situation because i don't care. That car is the only thing of value i have in this world and wouldn't trade for the world.
Sorry i write short stories instead of "quick replies"...lol
Don't give up on us, waiting for your advice.
Sincerely,
Debra

Old 05-18-2014, 10:49 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Pulling the carpet is way too big a job for 1. Putting it all back more than doubles it! It might take weeks of straight sun exposure & good ventilating to dry everything out. There are silica canister type dehumidifiers but those won't be enough. In furniture manufacturing, there are dehumidifying chambers where a MINI can easily fit. Finding 1 nearby maybe a challenge. I'm guessing you're left w/ fans while parked under the sun & hair dryers. Or perhaps you can park it in an enclosed room w/ portable dehumidifiers. Remember, your car AC is also a cooling dehumidifier.
Focus on the BC1 for now while letting everything air/sun dry. Let's hope it regains its sanity after thorough airing. If not, I'm sure vendors like WMW or independent MINI shops can program a new BC1 or help you out w/ a used 1 + its paired transponders from the donor keys.

Last edited by minsanity; 05-18-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:16 PM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
thank you minsanity....yeah if i was in the Carolina's that furniture thing would no doubt be a possibility, know from late husbands trucking a lot comes from there but hey will give it a look into....i can be better that a blood hound at tracking things down...as you might have read am in the great state of MO or as i call it Misery...this time of year is rainy and we always have high humidity...where's a desert when ya need one eh?...thank you for info though!!
I appreciate every ideal ya guys got....truly!
Sincerely,
Debra

Old 05-18-2014, 12:49 PM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
hey minsanity....this may sound crazy but i work in receiving at TJMaxx...we get clothes, every thing with those packs of drying crystals, some as big as about 4"x 2"...like i said crazy...but what if i collected em, opened up an like sand put them all around....then dry vac out....heck come to think of it...why not sand....too abrasive??...please i'm not nuts....have put word out on my face book....

Old 05-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I was "lucky" enough to only get mine flooded, no electrical gremlins.

Name:  SJ5Eqdf.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  503 Bytes

Found this on my lunch break, took a roll of paper towel and dry it as best as I could, but at the end of the day (been raining all day long), the lake was twice as big and it was making waves around when I took it in the shop to dry it again. I ended up removing the carpet as I already planned to remove it anyway (everything is on bare metal in the back). It's most likely the best way to get it dry, it suck and it's a big job, but Mini uses really thick carpet and it would take forever to get it completely dry.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:19 PM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
Hey there Da Ghost...that is exactly where the water was POURING in on mine...perhaps since you have a 4th gear Mini has improved the protection for the wiring. I've learned you can get a BCM/BC1 that comes with a cover but also have learned it's the wrap they use on the wiring bundle that in a flood situation works like a wick drawing the water up to the unit. Yep, you are very! lucky it didn't make your electric go nuts, since i was driving in a down pour, the first thing that got my attention was my left hand blinker wouldn't shut off, then a few other things, my fresh air light came on...etc., i happen to look down and that's when i saw basically what you have a pic of only worse. Yeah i freaked when i saw how thick the foam right next to door was!...I'm guessing that is Mini's answer to protecting the wiring underneath. So did they tell you why the water was coming in? It's sound crazy, given the location it comes in at, but it's the drain hose for the sunroof coming loose....at least i am certain (unfortunately from experience) that has been my cause both on driver side when i first bought the car used and then this time on passenger side...again, please let me know what mini said was your cause...am curious and thanks my dad who know nothing about cars and has never liked mine keeps saying..."it's coming from under the car...ya need a undercoat....you have a small crack under there!".....i love him but thank God for NAM!!!!

Old 05-18-2014, 04:22 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zarkinfrude
hey minsanity....this may sound crazy but i work in receiving at TJMaxx...we get clothes, every thing with those packs of drying crystals, some as big as about 4"x 2"...like i said crazy...but what if i collected em, opened up an like sand put them all around....then dry vac out....heck come to think of it...why not sand....too abrasive??...please i'm not nuts....have put word out on my face book....
I wouldn't go to the extent of opening the packs up. Just spread em under & above the foam & carpet. Collect em when saturated. The dehumidifying canisters use the same silica gel crystals w/ water collection space but it's more for humidity lowering. At this point, any type of moisture absorption method will help.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:30 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
If you're totally committed, do what Ghost did. Remove & dry the carpet/foam totally. Seats, console, some trims should all be out. Do all these w/ battery disconnected. You'll be dealing w/ airbag plugs under seats & the SRS module between the e-brake & shifter.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:08 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
It was the sunroof drain on the passenger side, it was dripping on the airbag, then getting down the A-pillar and down there. I bought my car used in an independant shop in 2009, so it's no longer under warranty, but on the bright side, I'm a mechanic.

Funnily, or sadly enough, the Toyota dealer where I work had a 09 base Cooper sitting in the lot for a while and got flooded a couple weeks ago. Same drain as mine, two weeks later... It was an easy fix, except for the part that it would randomly die or simply refuse to start. It was sent to the nearest BMW/Mini dealer to get it fixed and they had to replace a module, most likely the same one as you.

As for your dad, that's kind of an old school "it should fix it" solution, but sadly for him, most of the time on a Mini it's a sunroof drain. What really bothers me is the lenght of the tube and how this little @(?&/*& can get off on its own.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:16 PM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
minsanity...ya seem to changed as far as my being able to do myself, which is cool...am thinking the Bentley book should help me with dealing w/airbags and SRS. But ya got me thinking what if i was to cut away that foam underlayment, i could dry the carpet using carpet cleaner extractor (my mom's has small attachment for stairs and furniture. If need be i could get foam and cut to shape so floor board doesn't look jacked up....would seem better than a full take out job and i know carpeting drys....not going to go with bare metal floor (sorry Da Ghost)...thoughts?

Old 05-18-2014, 07:35 PM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
Da Ghost...yeah when i fixed the passenger side the guys here told my to use cable ties. Like you i bought my baby used in 10/07 it was built 01/03 but only had 26,513 miles and one owner....truth be told i had smacked a curb turning into subdivision, am pretty sure that's what knocked it loose....if ya want to read a short book...i have same issue with back side leaking...pad under boot is all fd up...am certain it's that drain but this electric thing right now as got me busy....can't drive not knowing if a exterior light is on or off...don't need ticket from popo.....a yeah i talked to mini about it...there answer was "well, it may take some time but we can look into it"...if i knew then what i have learned now i would of smacked em....well not really but hate that kinda s..... thanks for replying.....
Sincerely,
Debra

Quick Reply: R50/53 all things electric started either coming on or not working????