R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Out with the old, in with the new. (2005)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm TORN between the purple and the IB.

'05 Pro
HP
gearing
interior changes/options
grill trim

'05 Con
can't pick a car color with a silver dollar sized swatch!! Show me full size!!! (the lighting on the full size one on the website is crap)
no IB option
headlight design
center fog

ARGH!

Old 04-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Hunter
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm, I must be the target market. I like the new headlights. I think that new instrument package is pretty slick as well. Because of a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with the looks of the car, it appears that I am going to have to wait and order a 2005 at any rate, so I guess it's a good thing I like the looks.

Anybody got any ideas as to what else is new (I know there was a different post on a possible supercharger upgrade) with the engine, transmission, gearbox, suspension, etc.?

Old 04-30-2004, 10:46 AM
dlaugh
2nd Gear

HunterBoss: Mini2 and Motoring File have some good posts about the mechanical changes. This thread in particular has a lot of detail about the gearing changes. I agree, the grill change is subtle -- look at the chrome surround. In the old model, the surround has a ridge to it; in the new model, the surround is smooth.

Eric_Rowland: I want the IB, too. What are your thoughts on the Hyper Blue? There are some full sized pics here. I like IB better, but Hyper Blue looks pretty good, too. Purple isn't to my tastes. Might switch to CR, though.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:54 AM
discodan
5th Gear
does this mean that my '03, and all other '02 and '04 models are already considered the "new classics"?

Old 04-30-2004, 11:01 AM
discodan
5th Gear
>>I'm tempted to bump my June build order by a month to get the better mechanics (gear ratio, supercharger, exhaust, ECU).

dlaugh, if i was you i'd definitely get an '05, i'm fairly indifferent to the changes, only MINI-philes will be able to tell the differences, but for the mechanical changes alone you'd be better off. for about another month or two of waiting you'll have a car that's essentially a YEAR newer, be patient plenty of time to motor. i was thinking of trading in for an '05 but figured i'll just modify to my heart's content until the '07 car comes out with the new Peugot motor.

Old 04-30-2004, 11:30 AM
dlaugh
2nd Gear
The blues:

Old (Indi)

New (Hyper)

Bleah. I think I may switch to Chili. Or BRG, which is what my fiance wants. The dash doesn't come in BRG, though..

Old 04-30-2004, 12:57 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
I looked at the hyper blue and thought 'nice color'.
Then I saw it next to the IB, and it was no contest. IB wins big time.
I like purple, but I'd REALLY like to be able to see a full car shot like the HB above to know if it's 'too much'.

I love the IB, but I'd like the horses & gearing too, and especially the interior treatment. Gotta make up my mind quick if I'm going to get an '04. Or, just get a used '03. Hmm. Not sure how the BEP (I'd rather they called it purple haze like on the convertible page) would look with a white roof. The IB/W is a great combo.

Old 04-30-2004, 01:05 PM
countrym
6th Gear
I am VERY happy that I got an Indi Blue '04 before they discontinued the color.

First generation MINI = cool :smile:

Discontinued IB = even cooler

Old 04-30-2004, 01:37 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
Most of the exterior changes are on the subtle side. As they should be because MINI will always be faced with keeping the general look of the car the same while still doing periodic refreshings. (Can you imagine the headache DaimlerChrysler faces in trying to refresh the PTCruiser?!)

But given all the buzz about the exterior and transmission changes, it's the interior changes that I'm most excited about. From various Internet sources, including MINI2:

• New storage area
• New ‘coin tray’ area under the handbrake
• Larger rear cup holder
• Door armrest with improved ergonomic grip
• More spacious door bin for improved storage
• Additional side mounted sun visor for driver
• Improved side support from seat bench side bolsters
• Addition of passenger grab handle above window
• Larger rear view mirror
• Clock repositioned from headlining to central instrument panel
• Improved interior ambient lighting
• ISOFIX and CD preparation as standard
• Rev counter (previously not standard on MINI One)

The passenger grab handle, better driver's sun visor and larger rearview mirror would all be nice improvements to my 7/02 2002 Cooper. I want them all but still love Ringo.
http://mini2.com/news/news229.html
2005 (UK) Refreshed MINI Info

Old 04-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Found a spy shot of the BEP at http://www.mini2.com/news/news199.html (taken back in January! How did I miss it for so long?!)
It looks MUCH lighter than the swatches, and I don't care for it if it really looks like those shots. But if it's darker like the swatch...

I agree with kensmini - the interior changes are the most intriguing (though I'll take the HP and gearing, too! If only I could get them all in Indi Blue!

You can use the configurator on the MINI UK site to create a PEB MINI! If if comes out just like on the screen, I think I'm there...

Old 04-30-2004, 08:33 PM
MINI_Dreamer
3rd Gear
Hmmm....I'm loving the 05 changes. Plus, who can turn down a *few* extra horsies?

Old 05-01-2004, 06:13 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>Found a spy shot of the BEP at http://www.mini2.com/news/news199.html (taken back in January! How did I miss it for so long?!)
>>It looks MUCH lighter than the swatches, and I don't care for it if it really looks like those shots. But if it's darker like the swatch...
>>
>>I agree with kensmini - the interior changes are the most intriguing (though I'll take the HP and gearing, too! If only I could get them all in Indi Blue!
>>
>>You can use the configurator on the MINI UK site to create a PEB MINI! If if comes out just like on the screen, I think I'm there...
>>

That's not actually Black Eye Purple - that's Cool Blue. This is:

Old 05-02-2004, 01:00 PM
spurvis
3rd Gear
I'm also VERY glad mine was built 04/04. I don't like the new front changes or the rear ones. Why does BMW feel the need to mess with the car so soon? There aren't that many of us on the road yet for people even notice. Sometimes car companies should leave things alone. Long live the '02's through the '04's!! I do believe we have the "new classic MINI".

Cheers.

Old 05-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>I'm also VERY glad mine was built 04/04. I don't like the new front changes or the rear ones. Why does BMW feel the need to mess with the car so soon? There aren't that many of us on the road yet for people even notice. Sometimes car companies should leave things alone. Long live the '02's through the '04's!! I do believe we have the "new classic MINI".
>>
>>Cheers.

It really depends on where you are. I know in Northern Chicago I see 8-12 MINIs on a daily basis. I think a refresh will be a welcome change.

Old 05-02-2004, 09:31 PM
MiniCooperJD
3rd Gear
>>>>How is the grill different? I just don't see it.
>>
>>Is smooth instead of "creased" like the current one.

Now those are sharp eyes... good catch!

Old 05-02-2004, 09:32 PM
MiniCooperJD
3rd Gear
I agree that the headlights on the 05 are weird... they kind of look like the machine-gun headlights of a Q45. Ugh! Mini's should look friendly, not fierce!

Old 05-03-2004, 07:51 AM
spurvis
3rd Gear
>>>>I'm also VERY glad mine was built 04/04. I don't like the new front changes or the rear ones. Why does BMW feel the need to mess with the car so soon? There aren't that many of us on the road yet for people even notice. Sometimes car companies should leave things alone. Long live the '02's through the '04's!! I do believe we have the "new classic MINI".
>>>>
>>>>Cheers.
>>
>>It really depends on where you are. I know in Northern Chicago I see 8-12 MINIs on a daily basis. I think a refresh will be a welcome change.

I guess you may be right on the fact some people might want a "re-fresh", but I live 10 miles for Classic MINI in Mentor OH (and they sell alot of MINI's) and it is still rare to see another MINI on a daily basis. All in all, it is great to have exclusivity on a car. I'm sure I'll get used to the changes. The interior changes though I do envy.

Old 07-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Rollin
3rd Gear
Headlights

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Those are the Xenon headlights at the top of this thread. These are the new standard ones. I saw them last Friday at West meets East and did not like them. The plastic inside framing the smaller lamps looks too modern. I don’t mind the rear lights.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]I’m not big on chrome so less on back is good, and wondering what it would look like if that new bar across bottom front was taken off?[/size][/font]

Old 07-10-2004, 03:33 AM
Mrtemp
2nd Gear
I personally dislike ALL the changes done to the MINI, i just tolerate some more than others This is of course excluding all the performance changes like hp/lsd.

Originally Posted by kensmini
Most of the exterior changes are on the subtle side. As they should be because MINI will always be faced with keeping the general look of the car the same while still doing periodic refreshings. (Can you imagine the headache DaimlerChrysler faces in trying to refresh the PTCruiser?!)

But given all the buzz about the exterior and transmission changes, it's the interior changes that I'm most excited about. From various Internet sources, including MINI2:

• New storage area
• New ‘coin tray’ area under the handbrake
• Larger rear cup holder
• Door armrest with improved ergonomic grip
• More spacious door bin for improved storage
• Additional side mounted sun visor for driver
• Improved side support from seat bench side bolsters
• Addition of passenger grab handle above window
• Larger rear view mirror
• Clock repositioned from headlining to central instrument panel
• Improved interior ambient lighting
• ISOFIX and CD preparation as standard
• Rev counter (previously not standard on MINI One)

The passenger grab handle, better driver's sun visor and larger rearview mirror would all be nice improvements to my 7/02 2002 Cooper. I want them all but still love Ringo.
I disagree, i feel that the all the new storage areas will encourage clutter inside the car as well as making the interior look too "busy." The door handle, lighting, bolsters and larger rear view are alright I suppose. IMO The visor and "oh Sh#t handle on the roof liner will clutter up the look of the roof, and the positioning of the clock to the central panel takes away from the mini's quirkyness.

All in all i wish they didnt change any of the interior/exterior :(

Old 07-10-2004, 05:43 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The chrono gauge in the center is absolutely awful! Not only does it look terrible, but it still doesn't give you enough useful information and it replaces the center speedo. The only reason I didn't get the NAV was so I could have the center speedo. That's one of my favorite things about the MINI. My Grandfather had a 1962 Jeep with a center speedo just like the MINI's and he used to let me do the shifting when I was a little kid. I really would like the NAV though so I'm not sure what I'll do with my next MINI!

I like the new bumper on the '05 Cooper. It's a lot cleaner. It has more of a "premium" look to it.

Old 07-10-2004, 06:55 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the front and back bumpers ... visually but not practically.

Having just replaced the rear chrome insert on my MC, due to some parking dents and someone bumping into me at a stop light ... it cost me a whopping $60 for the new piece.

Looks like on the 05's parking lot scratches will be on the bumper itself, keeping the car ding free pretty much an expensive deal.

Those thick bumper inserts on the front and back of the current models are really doing their jo ... they should have left them be.

Old 07-10-2004, 07:47 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My opinion...

Headlights:
I like the headlights on my '03.

I'm not fond of the "ray-guns" on the '05, but those are the Xenons if I understand correctly.

I LUV the non-Xenon headlights on the '05. The round reflector really adds to the overall look of MINIs already big, round lights, IMO.

Front MC grill:
No problem with it overall, but the more pics I see I increasingly notice this kinda ovoid body-colored panel that houses the fogs and lower grill/trim. It's hard to see in some pics, but from different angles it seems to add a bit of a weird profile. Kinda just stuck on there. Have to see one in person.

In the end, though...I love MINIs in any shape or form. (except maybe that Alpine MINI..............nah, love that, too)

Note: maybe.........just maybe.........now that Coopers no longer have a front plate holder either, SOMEONE out there will come up with a good non-obtrusive method for attaching that front license plate. MC and MCS owners would be happy.....and the vendor would sell as many as those lucky guys who make S2000 antennas!

Old 07-10-2004, 08:19 AM
speltzer
5th Gear
I really like the new 2005 changes, especially the new projector beam 8-hole HID Xenon lamps. They should provide better illumination as well.

I also like the new smoother front grille trim. With all of the improvements this year, 2005 looks to be a great time for getting into a new a new Mini Cooper.