North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 I feel panicky! Please Reassure Me! (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/22692-i-feel-panicky-please-reassure-me.html)

tokyogirl 03-02-2004 08:45 PM

After many months of lurking around NAM and many, many hours of researching, I am finally, finally placing my deposit tomorrow on my dream MINI...
I should be ecstatic...right? But now I am feeling panicky and shaky and I don't know why! I AM excited, don't get me wrong.... but I feel little nervous. Maybe because this is my very first car ? Maybe because this is my first big-ticket-item purchase ? Or maybe because its... MINI??
I don't know what it is, but I need you guys to tell me AGAIN, how much of fun I am going to have with this car or something...anything! Help me calm me down, please!! :grin:

Placing order for: MC CVT PW/B with all 3 packages, chrome bumper inserts, aux input, "S" fuel cap...

hafid 03-02-2004 09:02 PM

hey tokyo girl, i have my car 8 months and everyday:

driving to the post office is like the italian job

people still comment, people still wave, people still stare

every time i get in the car i'm still smiling

every fun run i go on with other minis is just more fun

MINI has become part of my daily vocab (and part of my wardrobe!)

i've never looked back

never missed my old car

never had so much fun in one car

never driven a car people are constantly asking me questions about

it's just too much fun!

tokyogirl, it's time to motor :smile:

hondacivic 03-02-2004 09:02 PM

hey, you'll love the MINI, if you dont, just give it to me.. j/k

r u from toyko? and a girl? :grin:

dgibbphoto 03-02-2004 09:11 PM

You will be a hit with your new MINI. Money anxiety is quite common. As long as you can make the payments are responsible and vote remove Bush from the White House, you should be just fine.

StLouieLo 03-02-2004 09:12 PM

My first car was a VW & I remember thinking how scary it was to have my own car,loan & all.

Enjoy your MINI :grin: :grin: :grin: Enjoy having your very first car. You will always remember it.

Happy Motoring
Lois

minihune 03-02-2004 09:15 PM

>>After many months of lurking around NAM and many, many hours of researching, I am finally, finally placing my deposit tomorrow on my dream MINI...
>>I should be ecstatic...right? But now I am feeling panicky and shaky and I don't know why!

Tokyogirl,

Relax, you're not getting married. You'll really like your new MC.

>>Placing order for: MC CVT PW/B with all 3 packages, chrome bumper inserts, aux input, "S" fuel cap...

This looks like a great choice. Not much more to add, you'll be fine. Just drive and enjoy.

For a first car it is a big purchase but you are getting something special that you can enjoy for a long time.
Go for the gusto. Don't be boring and commonplace. Stand out in a crowd. Be unique. And do it all while you go Motoring.

It doesn't get any better than that. :grin:

binkysmini 03-02-2004 09:18 PM

Tokyogirl,
It can be a bit unnerving, that first big jump. But remember any of the first times in your life. Always a little bit scary, but maybe even more satisfying because of it.
Just think, in a short while you will be the proud owner of a gorgeous white and black MINI! Prepare yourself to have fun driving every day you own it.
Cheers!
John L

Thrilhouse 03-02-2004 09:21 PM

Buying your first car, be it new or used, is a big step for anyone. You chose the perfect car for your new ride. Put those anxieties to rest, before you know it, the only anxiety you'll feel is while waiting for your car to arrive! :smile:

Ryephile 03-02-2004 09:27 PM

hang out at a MINI-meet, and of course, make plans to go to Deals Gap! :grin:

There is no other car I want in my garage that's less than $40k - that makes the MINI quite special, and impressive in its' own right. With all the awards, media dooling, and fantastic online (and offline!) community, the MINI is the total package. The "Smiles per mile" factor simply can't be beat! :grin: :grin:

Cheers!
Ryan
P.S. how long is your wait - and are you in a CWF_Club yet?

KiLO 03-02-2004 09:29 PM

Sweet!!

Just make sure it doesn't end up on this ship:

http://www.leetimage.com/images/miles/oops5.gif

elbee 03-02-2004 09:32 PM

tokyogirl -- I agree with you on all points. When I made my first big ticket purchase I was SO nervous. When I wrote bought my first car I couldn't stop my hand from shaking as I was signing the papers, and when I actually picked-up my Mini I was terrified that I was making a mistake. Well, I don't even remember my first big ticket purchase, the first car I bought made me a lot of money (it was a truck for my landscape company) and I love the Mini. I love to drive and I've always loved my car(s). The Mini was definatley a good choice compared to the other cars I was thinking about. Go for it! You only live once and you'll have a blast with it! I guarentee you'll remember it for the rest of your life.

hondacivic 03-02-2004 09:39 PM

>>Sweet!!
>>
>>Just make sure it doesn't end up on this ship:
>>
>>http://www.leetimage.com/images/miles/oops5.gif

is that the one that ships the MINIs?

KiLO 03-02-2004 09:54 PM

Yeah, I hear all the MINI's that come into the States come in on that ship. It's the only one authorized to bring over MINI's... It's a shame it beached... hm**

**Just kidding.

hondacivic 03-02-2004 10:00 PM

>>Yeah, I hear all the MINI's that come into the States come in on that ship. It's the only one authorized to bring over MINI's... It's a shame it beached... hm**
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>**Just kidding.

whats HM? is it a joke or somthing? is it a MINI ship?
:roll:

Yucca Patrol 03-02-2004 10:12 PM

The photo above is of a relatively small container ship.

Car carriers are much larger and look something like this, the Aida, which I know carries MINI's from time to time. . . .

http://www.shipphotos.co.uk/images/aida.jpg

motormad 03-02-2004 11:07 PM

TokyoGirl,

A lot of people get nervous and start doubting themselves after a major purchase. It is called buyer's remorse. If you have done your home work about MINIs, then have faith in your original decision to buy. I am willing to bet that the first time you drive it all your doubts will start to fade.

Enjoy the moments of anticipation while you are waiting for your NEW MINI :grin:

10851CS 03-02-2004 11:39 PM

I got my MCS last April and I LOVE IT. I have owned a lot of different vehicles over the years and nothing I have ever driven compares with my MCS. FUN.

Earl

Teampajn 03-02-2004 11:40 PM

tokyogirl,
Even thought there is alot of people saying the same thing I thought I'd give you my $.02. I have had more fun in the MINI than any other car. I have taken it on trips and had a blast! We use it to go to the grocery store. We put our 2 teenage cousins in the back and was a little cramped (I'm 6'2" tall), but didn't mind. We love to take it everywhere. I baby the MINI like no other car I've owned. I'm what you would call a car nut and thought I'd always buy an American muscle car. We have owned larger cars and don't mind the size. I would be willing to bet you will enjoy every moment in your new MINI.

KiLO 03-02-2004 11:41 PM

Yeah I was just jokin' about the pic :grin:

Go for the Mini! It's such a fun car, I love it. I've had about 5 cars in my life, and I haven't enjoyed any of them as much as my Mini :grin:

Chief_Charlie 03-02-2004 11:57 PM

Tokyogirl,
Check your Hotmail account for a message on purchasing your first MINI.
And congratulations, you'll love it
Charlie

mamamini 03-03-2004 02:29 AM

Don't worry!!!! Everyday when I see my mini in the parking lot or in my driveway, I think "I love my car". I still smile everytime I see another Mini on the road. I've had my mini since 7/02 and I thought that maybe i might tire of a small car, but i haven't. Congratulations to you!!!! Hope the wait goes quick!!
:cool:

pocketrocketowner 03-03-2004 03:23 AM

Tokyogirl....its all been said above. I will reiterate: I am an old git who has always been in love with cars. PKT RKT is an MCS and immediately made the top of my list and is a keeper forever. My keeper forever list has four vehicles in it. :grin: :grin:

JuanPacoLopez 03-03-2004 06:55 AM

I went throught the exact same thing last week, only I HAD to buy as I totalled the car it was replacing. It was the first car I bought for myself, and the payment was even a bit higher than my half of the rent (by about $20; I have a REALLY good deal on myapartment).

Let me tell you... I picked up Saturday AM; by the time I was pulling into the Mexican place for lunch every single ounce of doubt/nervousness I had was completely gone. As soon as you get out on the road and toss your new Mini around a few corners, you'll wonder how you put up with driving anything else for so long :smile:

Not to mention the fact that the CVT has seemingly unlimited possibility for fun/variety. I found some major fun that can be had to get a little extra "kick" out of a standing start (at a light or something) thanks to the CVT forum over on Mini2. Put it in Steptronic mode, "gear" 1. At take off you have 2 options:

1) If you are PASSED YOUR BREAK-IN (1250 miles) then just stomp the gas to just before the resistance (kickdown) point and hold it there. When your tach reads about 5500 RPM, "flick" the stick over to D and quickly back over to SD. The whole time, leave your foot just before the kickdown.

2) If you are NOT passed your break-in... stomp the gas to about half throttle. When you reach just under 4000 RPM do the D-SD flick without moving your foot AT ALL from the throttle. You'll settle into SD at just around 4k RPM or a little lower, and if you do it right/carefully you'll still follow the break-in regimen to the letter. I'll admit I may have hit at 4500-4700 very briefly practicing this the first couple of times... but now that I've got a feel for the right throttle position I can nail it well under break-in (but at or around peak torque) every time.

This gives you a NICE little torque boost right after the flick that will let you pull away from MOST cars (I surprised the hell out of an RSX the other night, and I was using the pre-breakin method).

MGCMAN 03-03-2004 07:04 AM

Tokyogirl,

Get ready for "Rock Star" status. If you are not yet an extrovert, your MINI will turn you into one. People will stare, come up to you at traffic lights and filling stations, asking you about your car. I've had mine for 17 months and it still happens every week to me, even though I now see other MINIS almost every day on the road. As far as your first big purchase, well ya gotta start somewhere, and a PW/B MC sure sounds sweet. You'll love it.

tokyogirl 03-03-2004 07:45 AM

Oh, thank you, thank you everybody!!
It’s working! It's working! I feel a lot better now...
As I read through everyone’s encouraging posts, I can’t help grinning ear to ear.
Each and every one of your advice means a lot to me.
Just for this great Forum alone, I now know I made a right choice. :smile: :smile: :smile: