R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 1st oil change...really?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 05:54 PM
TheAmericanJob
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st oil change...really?

So I went to do the first oil change since owning my new to me 06 mcs and 5 days later it is done...

Longer version:
Last Saturday evening I get everything ready to go..."man this should only take about 10mins, then I can focus on some additional cleaning it needs"
An hour later I still don't have the drain plug out. At this point I'm ticked. How can a guy who has worked on his dad's classic cars and drag cars, swapped the motor in his own car, and done countless oil changes on multiple vehicles be unable to change the oil in his own car????

Sunday rolls around and I decide I'm going to win against this drain plug...Yeah well a couple more hours, two trips to Lowe's, a new 700ftlb impact gun, propane torch, and an easy out later this thing still won't budge.

Today it went to the shop my dad works at and they put it on a lift and bam...off it came.

Moral of the story...leverage is important and for the love of God don't ever use an impact gun to tighten a drain plug (this is the only way I can figure it got to be that tight)

No oil pans were harmed in the making of this story.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:43 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
The factory drain plugs have a built in rubber washer that frequently seize when overtorqued, not impact gun torqued, just over-torquing with a wrench or socket and sitting for a few thousand miles. I ended up replacing mine with a standard (M14-1.5??) drain plug and metal washer.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:20 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you not own a 1/2 inch breaker bar?

Put a pipe on the end of it if the bolt still isn't moving.
It's an essential tool if you don't have a good enough impact.

Nice story though, I did think it was going to end with you stripping the bolt or something worse

Attached Thumbnails 1st oil change...really?-2017-01-19-07-07-18-977798020.jpg  
Old 01-19-2017, 05:45 AM
MF-DIF
2nd Gear
Happy ending. These stuck drain plug threads don't usually end in this.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:05 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAmericanJob
So I went to do the first oil change since owning my new to me 06 mcs and 5 days later it is done...

...How can a guy who has worked on his dad's classic cars and drag cars, swapped the motor in his own car, and done countless oil changes on multiple vehicles be unable to change the oil in his own car????
Two words:

Fumoto Valve

I needed to utilize a plumber's basin wrench to get a stuck-on plug off my R53 when I first acquired it. It appeared the previous owner (or a hack JiffyLube type shop) had used an air wrench to tighten the plug, which was completely rounded off...

The stock MINI plugs are made of very soft steel, and because of the integrated rubber seal, are recommended to be discarded and swapped for new plugs every oil change.

Get the Fumoto and never worry about removing the oil drain plug again.

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 01-19-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:26 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
Two words:

Fumoto Valve

I needed to utilize a plumber's basin wrench to get a stuck-on plug off my R53 when I first acquired it. It appeared the previous owner (or a hack JiffyLube type shop) had used an air wrench to tighten the plug, which was completely rounded off...

The stock MINI plugs are made of very soft steel, and because of the integrated rubber seal, are recommended to be discarded and swapped for new plugs every oil change.

Get the Fumoto and never worry about removing the oil drain plug again.

Very cool, I checked out the link, didn't have a price. If you don't mind giving the cost, it would be much appreciated.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:30 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Very cool, I checked out the link, didn't have a price. If you don't mind giving the cost, it would be much appreciated.
Amazon has 'em for just over $20.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
$35 or so.

Price above is a lot better, i just took the first Google NAM vendor i saw.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:07 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
The only problem I see with that type of setup is, you won't be able to tell if there are metal shards from using a magnetized drain bolt.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:44 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
The only problem I see with that type of setup is, you won't be able to tell if there are metal shards from using a magnetized drain bolt.
magnet the draining oil, and inspect filter

the serious stuff is not magnetic anyway

Old 01-19-2017, 05:59 PM
TheAmericanJob
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Shawnnn
Do you not own a 1/2 inch breaker bar?

Put a pipe on the end of it if the bolt still isn't moving.
It's an essential tool if you don't have a good enough impact.

Nice story though, I did think it was going to end with you stripping the bolt or something worse
Yes I do have a 1/2" breaker bar, no that did not work from under the car. Once the shop has it on a lift and could use a breaker bar with leverage it came right off.

I did go ahead and purchase three magnetic drain plugs and plan to replace them each time or every other depending on how it goes. Now that the job has been done properly, I don't foresee future issues.

In better news I did get my mud flaps and m7 strut brace installed. Rear sway bar comes next week

And for fun here is a picture from a quick run to staples last week.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Mrfoca
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Car looks nice.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:18 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
stock oil bung is a perfect 1/2 inch fit

Name:  100_0010.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  50.5 KB

the metric they recommend is not tight and when the plastic seal sticks it is EASY to damage the head (soft) and things go down hill from there. Note too that the factory says the stock bung is a one time use item ....

Name:  100_0009.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  53.8 KB

mangled one is one I rounded off with a metric socket and then took an extractor to .... took the new one to the tool box and discovered the size difference. I too went FUMOTO and highly recommend this .... too many stories of people stripping the soft oil pan .... when folks bring a GEN1 to me, I recommend it first thing ...

been written up many times .... I know I've rehung it several times myself .... now plus one

Last edited by Capt_bj; 01-22-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:16 PM
ptkacik
4th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Good grief. And I thought the oil filter housing was a tough one. Ha!

Peter

Old 01-22-2017, 06:58 PM
RogueMini
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
Two words:

Fumoto Valve
Fumoto valve: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I pull the car up on ramps, toss a drain pan underneath, flip open the fumoto valve and loosen the oil filter cap. Come back in a half hour and finish the job. The OPs story reminds me of stripping heads on the oil plug on the R50 I used to have. Not worth it. I got my fumoto from outmotoring or ecs for $28 while ordering other stuff.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:20 AM
Yachtman
1st Gear
I did my first oil change on my new to me mini several months ago. I used the fluid extractor pump thing to suck the oil out through the dipstick, then I pulled the drain plug and maybe got a few tablespoons out. No more pulling the plug. The extractor is super easy. The key is the oil needs to warm for it to work effectively.

Attached Thumbnails 1st oil change...really?-image.jpeg