R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 What if you DON'T purchase "Auto-A/C" option?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 06:43 PM
BOLLX
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I buy an MCS and don't choose the Auto-A/C option, will I still get air-conditioning? I'm imagining something that I turn on/off and control temp manually. When I build my own MINI on the MINI-USA site and don't select Auto-A/C, the interior shot displays 3 dials in the center console between the stereo and the toggles. Does this include A/C, or just fresh air/heater controls?

Old 08-05-2003, 06:50 PM
jerrygee
4th Gear
You get the same A/C, it’s just controlled differently. There are differences of opinion on the merits of the ACC verses the manual. I choose the manual as I have never been overly impressed with ACC in other automobiles I have owned. My wife’s BMW X5 4.4 could only be ordered with ACC, I prefer the manual controls in my MCS and Chevy truck.

Old 08-05-2003, 07:01 PM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
CCM5
Automatic climate control also comes with a carbon micro-filter. Gets rid of pollen and odors.

Charles

Old 08-05-2003, 07:04 PM
tigger
2nd Gear
I did not opt for ACC as I did not see the value. The Mini drives twice as good with AC off anyways... But must admit, the dial looks nice. but for the price, I'd get another option instead

Old 08-05-2003, 07:16 PM
jerrygee
4th Gear
>>CCM5
>>Automatic climate control also comes with a carbon micro-filter. Gets rid of pollen and odors.
>>
>>Charles

My manually controlled A/C has a microfilter. The only difference between the ACC and manual is the way the A/C is controlled from the cockpit and the manual does not have the UV sensor on the dash, but the A/C is mechanically the same.

Old 08-05-2003, 07:21 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not opt for the ACC and feel I have more control with the manual system, and from what I seen here, it seems like the manual controls afford better management of the the air conditioning. JMHO.

Old 08-05-2003, 07:26 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've driven both. I like the looks of the manual AC better, more traditional and sporty looking. As far as controlling the temp, the AAC isn't that much better than manual. You can find a comfortable temp with the manual and not have to adjust it for a long time. With the AAC, you'll still have to adjust the temp from time to time.

I would skip the AAC. But make sure you have the MFSW, that's well worth it!

Old 08-05-2003, 08:32 PM
jerrygee
4th Gear
>>
>>I like the looks of the manual AC better, more traditional and sporty looking.

I agree.

>>I would skip the AAC.

I agree and went with the manual control.

>>But make sure you have the MFSW, that's well worth it!
>>

My most used option on the car although I never use the cruise control. I inadvertently hit the down volume switch on the back of the steering wheel one time when the radio was off and my wife had started talking a bit too loud. I had to chuckle to myself, I didn’t dare tell her what I had done.

Old 08-05-2003, 08:33 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
>>I did not opt for the ACC and feel I have more control with the manual system, and from what I seen here, it seems like the manual controls afford better management of the the air conditioning. JMHO.

Ditto Ditto Ditto

Old 08-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear

>>My manually controlled A/C has a carbon micro-filter. The only difference between the ACC and manual is the way the A/C is controlled from the cockpit and the manual does not have the UV sensor on the dash, but the A/C is mechanically the same.

Thanks, Jerry, This is very good to know, BJ

Old 08-06-2003, 02:41 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
I have the manual AC. I hardly use it. I'd rather have more power.
I have seen both the microfilters for sale.
All MINIs come with AC. Some owners are not pleased with the performance of their AC units but when I do use mine it seems to keep up with the topical Hawaiian weather.

Old 08-06-2003, 02:58 AM
jsun
6th Gear
I used to hate the programming on the Auto AC, but definitely believe that somewhere around software version 32 - 33 the program was tweeked a bit to make the system respond a bit better. In Auto mode, the fan doesn't run as fiercely and for as long as when my car was new and before my 2 software upgrades. Thus, I can live with the system now...but about a year ago I wanted to rip it out it was so annoying.

I may be wrong about the software changes -- no one can/will confirm just what's in the MINI software -- but I don't think so.

Old 08-06-2003, 06:57 AM
C4
Banned
Every new MINI sold in the United States comes with Air Conditioning as standard equipment. I much prefer the ever reliable and simple to use Manual A/C controls. 3 straight forward rotary dials. It seems ironic to me that the owners of Manual A/C equipped MINIs seem to fiddle much less with their controls than the ones that opted for the sort of unreliable and erratic automatic climate control.

I live in South Florida where A/C has to be used 365 days a year so I can say that I am very pleased with my manual A/C controls.

Oh and my upcoming '04 MCS will again have manual A/C controls.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:22 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
>>I inadvertently hit the down volume switch on the back of the steering wheel one time when the radio was off and my wife had started talking a bit too loud. I had to chuckle to myself, I didn’t dare tell her what I had done. <<

That's hilarious!

I have the auto AC (not by choice, mind you ), and I am convinced that I spend more time figuring out how to get it to NOT do things than I would just adjusting the damn dials myself. And there doesn't appear to be any way of having air flow both to the windshield and to anywhere else inside the car. I'm guessing that y'all with the manual dials have this capability, which is certainly valuable given how poorly the MINI deals with humidity. I've never driven a car where whenever it rains, even if it's 55 degrees outside, I have to blast the AC onto the windshield every few minutes to keep it from becoming opaque with condensation. In order to direct the air there and not have it sound like a jet engine, I have to hold the windshield vent button down for a few seconds. This doesn't seem like a big deal until you have to do it 10-20 times per hour.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:33 PM
fms
5th Gear
To each their own, quite obviously, but one of my favorite memories of my first day w/ MINI was when I got in that first evening and turned on the lights- WOW! The auto AC controls all lit up just knocked me out. Still do. Wouldn't give up the look for anything. I also love the way the dial works. I frequently use my system manually, which is not tough at all once you get used to doing so. It came w/ the premium package, and I would order it again. I think it's the best of both worlds: looks and function.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:39 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
I personally prefer the true manual option, open the windows!

Old 08-06-2003, 02:58 PM
jerrygee
4th Gear
I have a correction to a previous post I made in regards to the microfilter on the MINI A/C. The manual control A/C has a “Microfilter”; the ACC has a “Microfilter/activated-charcoal filter”. Other then the filter differences and the cockpit controls, the A/C components are identical. This was confirmed this morning with a friend of mine that is a service rep for BMWNA. Sorry BJ for any problems this may have caused.

Old 08-06-2003, 03:48 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
I love the Auto AC. If you read the manual and use it a few times, it's easy and works great. If you want to manually control everything, the Auto AC allows you to do that as well. On Sunday, I had it set to 68 degrees starting in Petaluma CA where the outsite temp was about 85 and the AC kept things comfortable. By the time I got to the Golden Gate Bridge where the outsite temp was about 60, the heat on my feet felt great with auto still set to 68. Neato.

Old 08-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Overdrive
1st Gear
>>>>>>I have the auto AC (not by choice, mind you ), and I am convinced that I spend more time figuring out how to get it to NOT do things than I would just adjusting the damn dials myself. And there doesn't appear to be any way of having air flow both to the windshield and to anywhere else inside the car. I'm guessing that y'all with the manual dials have this capability, which is certainly valuable given how poorly the MINI deals with humidity. I've never driven a car where whenever it rains, even if it's 55 degrees outside, I have to blast the AC onto the windshield every few minutes to keep it from becoming opaque with condensation. ...

Obviously, you've never driven a Mercedes-Benz 230 Sport Coupe. Had the same problem. So much for "advanced German engineering."

Old 08-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Scoutd
3rd Gear
>>CCM5
>>Automatic climate control also comes with a carbon micro-filter. Gets rid of pollen and odors.
>>
>>Charles
Is there a way to cclean that carbon filter? Easily? How do you know if
it is really working??

Old 08-06-2003, 05:20 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Manual A/C

Old 08-06-2003, 06:11 PM
shkeller55
2nd Gear
>>>>>>>>I have the auto AC (not by choice, mind you ), and I am convinced that I spend more time figuring out how to get it to NOT do things than I would just adjusting the damn dials myself. And there doesn't appear to be any way of having air flow both to the windshield and to anywhere else inside the car. I'm guessing that y'all with the manual dials have this capability, which is certainly valuable given how poorly the MINI deals with humidity. I've never driven a car where whenever it rains, even if it's 55 degrees outside, I have to blast the AC onto the windshield every few minutes to keep it from becoming opaque with condensation. ...
>>
>>Obviously, you've never driven a Mercedes-Benz 230 Sport Coupe. Had the same problem. So much for "advanced German engineering."

I have the same problem with my ML320.

Old 08-06-2003, 06:33 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
>>Is there a way to cclean that carbon filter? Easily? How do you know if
it is really working??<<

The microfilter may (or may not) remove particulates like pollen, but as far as the odor-blocking capabilities of the charcoal filter go, it's overrated. I smell skunks, I smell diesel buses, I've even smelled cigarette smoke from a car in front of me. I've never NOT smelled those things while driving, so it doesn't bother me except that BMW makes it sound like the vehicle is odor-proof.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:08 PM
BOLLX
2nd Gear
Thanks, everyone, for the A/C education. I like the looks of the manual controls a bit more than the Auto arrangement; It's good to hear that I can go that route and enjoy the benefits of an A/C system (which my Wrangler, unfortunately, lacks)

Old 08-06-2003, 08:19 PM
200mph
2nd Gear
Help please:
If I want to swap the auto AC in one MINI with the manual AC in another, what needs to be changed besides the control unit? Is the temp sensor in the front of the headliner? Is there another in the rear? Are the wiring harnesses in both cars the same??
Similar question:
If I want to upgrade the sound in one Mini to the Harmon-Kardon option spec, in addition to the HK amp and speakers, does the head unit need to be swapped out also? And again, are the sound system wiring harnesses in both cars going to be the same?

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but without waiting months for a car built to spec I couldnt be too choosy. Now I'm trying to egt it like I would have ordered it.
Thanks in advance,
Mike