North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 Windows down roof open with remote? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/132230-windows-down-roof-open-with-remote.html)

ChiliSteve 03-12-2008 08:06 PM

Windows down roof open with remote?

I know that the remote is used to do this but is there a split year on this option?
I have a 2005 MCS and when at the dealer last I asked about this and never got a straight answer.
My build date is 09/04 and I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the problem.
If I have this option can it be turned on and off, and if so how?

Thanks

nabeshin 03-12-2008 08:25 PM

Just don't hold the unlock button too long.

jimzbobs 03-12-2008 09:20 PM

the car has to enabled or disabled for this option by the dealerships service department...as for the year i have no clue.. but keep this post bumped maybe you will get a response..

ChiliSteve 03-13-2008 05:05 AM

bump:grin:

jabell2r 03-13-2008 07:01 AM

Some cars are programmed with this option others are not. To find out, first unlock both doors then hold the unlock button down for about 5 seconds. If they don't open your dealer can program them to go down. Mine did this for $25.

sequence 03-13-2008 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ChiliSteve (Post 2093160)
I know that the remote is used to do this but is there a split year on this option?I have a 2005 MCS and when at the dealer last I asked about this and never got a straight answer.My build date is 09/04 and I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the problem.
If I have this option can it be turned on and off, and if so how? Thanks

yes yr car has this, as does my 8/04 2005 MCS. I hate that feature, and had the dealer program it off because I took a week long trip and came back to airport parking to find my windows halfway down and moonroof open--the fob (I HATE that thing) had pressed against my luggage pocket long enough to open it. Good thing it was covered parking. there are horror stories about this happeining to folks in the Pac NW during rainstorms to return to flooded Coopers. Worst convinience feature ever.

KevM 03-13-2008 09:19 AM

Our 03 has this feature turned on...

TexasCooperS 03-13-2008 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by sequence (Post 2093957)
yes yr car has this, as does my 8/04 2005 MCS. I hate that feature, and had the dealer program it off because I took a week long trip and came back to airport parking to find my windows halfway down and moonroof open--the fob (I HATE that thing) had pressed against my luggage pocket long enough to open it. Good thing it was covered parking. there are horror stories about this happeining to folks in the Pac NW during rainstorms to return to flooded Coopers. Worst convinience feature ever.

The remote doesn't work from that far away. Did you just leave your bags in your car the whole time?

KevM 03-13-2008 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by sequence (Post 2093957)

I dunno man, how do you miss seeing something like that as you're walking away???

We LOVE this feature. Especially in the hot summer, hit and hold as you're walking up and start airing the car out!!!!

Best Convenience Feature Ever :thumbsup: :grin:

sequence 03-13-2008 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCooperS (Post 2094034)
The remote doesn't work from that far away. Did you just leave your bags in your car the whole time?

No, I clipped my keys inside my carry on briefbag (inside a large outside pocket) and when I was boarding the shuttle I must've pressed my other luggage against the bag's outside pocket--and the key fob--long enough to activate the door/MR opening feature. And I didnt notice it because I was sat in the shuttle faced away from the car, and it drove away immediately. I get back, everything is open. What a feeling. :sad:

do a search from about 2003-2005, and you will find tales of woe from other folks who have been victimized by this well-meaning, but poorly executed feature. even my SA admitted that instead of just holding down one button, it should have some kind of safeguard that involves holding down 2 buttons simultaneously, or something like that. He said that he gets more requests to have that disconnected than to keep it connected.

hey if you like it, fine, but I don't. even when I was in Phoenix late last spring I did NOT miss it one bit. What I DO miss is having an opaque moonroof shade.

And y'd be surprised, if aimed just right, how far away that f***ing fob will transmit :eek2: Ive held the metal key portion to my chin, opened my mouth, and have unlocked my car from 300+ yards distant.

KevM 03-13-2008 10:28 AM

I could imagine the sick feeling you'd get approaching it and seeing that...

... on the other hand, I feel like poking your ribs and asking why you don't love it enough that you weren't keeping your eye on it until it was out of sight. :wink:

tshubin 03-19-2008 03:04 PM

This is great news!!! my '06 jcw(11/06 build) currently doesnt have this feature like my '05(9/04 build) but i will be going to the dealer for sure this week!!!!