R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 What do you love and what is just... meh

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Hawkins115
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you love and what is just... meh

Alright everyone, I think I'm very close to purchasing my first mini! What are all of your absolute favorite part(s) of your MINI, and what is your least favorite? This will help me, plus, who knows, it might just be a little fun!

Last edited by Hawkins115; 02-12-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:52 PM
TexasCooperS
2nd Gear
I love everything about my MINI . I traded in a Jeep Wrangler for this so I am still amazed at all the creature comforts haha. Heated seats, cruise control, and the auto climate control are on the top of the list of my favorites

Old 02-07-2008, 02:55 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Steering responce and lateral grip.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
I honestly love everything about my Mini; but i love the supercharger noise, the color of the gauges at night, and the Xenon's.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:04 PM
marco621
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with FD3SDriver...I love everything about my MINI. From the curvature of the hood, the size of the actual vehicle, the wide stance it gives, the comfy interior, how everything is perfectly placed. With the mods, the car is just a helluva more fun to drive... There isn't a thing to not love except for me having an '04 without the newer trans and supercharger, and the older xenons. Besides that, there isn't a car I would trade my MINI in for.............except maybe a Lotus Exige S!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Louispup
5th Gear
This time of year, I notice how much I love rolling the windows down AND opening the huge sunroof as I approach my car.

Yeah, that and the driving it. The bonnet on the my MC is pretty sweet, too.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:27 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
I love heated seats and rain-sensing windshield wipers... and everything else too!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:14 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Even though a lot of people say bad things about it, I love my NAV. It really integrates with the interior well (fills up that big speedometer space) and displays not just the navigation information, but all the radio/CD/iPod stuff, OBD info, and bluetooth. If you're going to order a car, if you think you might want an option, get it! My new MCS is loaded, and I love every option I got (even love the free JCW floormats we got).

Oops. Just now saw this was in the 1st Gen forum. But I still love my NAV. Anyhow, as far as R53 v R56, I love them both and you can't go wrong with any of the options, IMO.

Last edited by minicooperwill; 02-09-2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Saw I posted in the wrong forum!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:20 PM
osahispine
1st Gear
Ditto on the full car love, but since you're asking from a buyer's perspective...my make or break features included: S model, sunroof, beige interior (for that expansive feeling). I didn't really care about outside color or having stripes, but since I read stripes can be removed, I looked at some cars with stripes. I ended up with heated seats and so am now spoiled; so in hindsight, I'd have to add heated seats to the list. My list was pretty short.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:06 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
If by parts you mean actual parts ...as opposed to characteristics ...I really like the h/k sound system, the engine in the S, the heated seats and the leatherette. Dislikes ...just the sunroof. Since MINI does not furnish a way to keep the light and heat out, I block it about 6 months of the year with aftermarket shades.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:50 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
I love my MINI, but they could have done a better job with the logo in the horn that tends to peel off. And that lower radiator bracket could have been done better too. Other wise the most fun most people will ever have driving to the corner market. Be warned, a MINI begs to be driven and many of them carry the MOD virus.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:29 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love...

> ...modding the car -- interior, exterior, suspension, engine, wheels, and everything else from the ground up -- challenging
> ...the unusual camaraderie that has developed around the brand, from NAM, to the big annual events like AMVIV, to the gereat local clubs like SoCalMiniManiacs, to the random waves, to the chance meetings with other owners at the store, and anywhere else that people happen to come together -- unifying, positive, and uplifting
> ...the great driving experiences: in the twisties, up and down the off- and on-ramps, on the open highway, and yeah, even on the streets and freeways of LA -- FUN
> ...the looks of appreciation from other motoring enthusiasts who know of the MINI's ability and flat-out fun driving characteristics -- those looks say "good choice" and "nice ride" -- satisfying
> ...being able to park just about anywhere, but still fit all the groceries I normally buy into the car, and run almost all the errands I have to run -- convenient
> ...the crashworthiness -- I have been rear-ended (though not too seriously) twice and t-boned, and never been even slightly sore or injured in any way, and the car is still ticking just fine (I get it back in a week or so from the shop from the last bashing) I admit my fingers are crossed that it will still be the same delight it has been so far -- SAFE
> ...retaining its resale value so well along with its fairly low cost of daily operation and maintenance (in my experience, anyway) -- economical

Not so great is...
> ...the relatively high cost of aftermarket parts and stuff (compared to domestics, for example)
> ...the dealers -- UGH! (although not all are crappy, I guess. Good luck.)
> ...I can't haul big stuff like plywood sheets or 8' 2x4's very easily (but that has let me dodge a couple of projects, too ) and that's why Lowe's lets us rent trucks, anyway, right?
> ...the difficult decisions about what to do next: "To stripe, or not to stripe?" that is the question.

Try it. You, too, will love it!!

Last edited by markldriskill; 02-07-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Hawkins115
2nd Gear
Dangit, all of this great praise is getting to me, going for a test drive tomorow after noon...we'll see.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Chase
4th Gear
I love it all. I wish it was all wheel drive

Old 02-09-2008, 06:20 AM
bing44
1st Gear
Originally Posted by nabeshin
Steering responce and lateral grip.
These are no. one and two. Then comes power, comfort, and looks. All the rest is just fluff.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep in mind that all of the folks who have responded here save one have R53 MINI's. The car you will test drive if it's a new one will be an R56 MINI. Still a MINI, but different in many ways.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:32 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

DISLIKES: Winter

Old 02-09-2008, 07:32 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I love my '05 R53 to bits, but I wish the stock clutch was more durable (Hence the reason I bought the extended MINI service contract to 6 years/100K that covers the entire clutch assembly).

This car is definitely a keeper. I have never enjoyed a car so much as this one. It is 3 years old and nearly 37K troublefree miles, 100% stock. I hope to get out of it at least 150K miles, if not more.

I owned a 2004 MCS before it, but to me the '05+ R53 S is the one to have, IMHO.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:38 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Oh and that intoxicating supercharger sound and stock exhaust burble! These are sadly missing from the new second gen MINIs.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:49 AM
snapper
3rd Gear
The MINI is about as close as I can find to a 4 passenger motorcycle in terms of having fun carving up the twisties.

Oh yeah.... hate catching my pant leg on the seat adjuster all the time.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:22 AM
revray
4th Gear
How do I love her? Let me count the ways ...

M is for the MANY wonderful driving experiences I have in her. I actually ask my wife if she needs anything from the grocery store just so I can go for a ride!

I is for the INSTANT response that she gives me in everything, whether it's the foot on the gas (or the brake), or the little left or right tug on the wheel. Driving her is pure joy!

N is for the NICE looks I get from people wherever I go. Let's face it, these little cars are like cute little kids or puppies - everybody loves them.

And I is for the INCREDIBLE high I've been on for the 2+ months I've owned mine. It's been a long, long time since I've had this much fun in a car!

Old 02-09-2008, 12:10 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
LOL...I like the pic in your sig too!

Originally Posted by revray
How do I love her? Let me count the ways ...

M is for the MANY wonderful driving experiences I have in her. I actually ask my wife if she needs anything from the grocery store just so I can go for a ride!

I is for the INSTANT response that she gives me in everything, whether it's the foot on the gas (or the brake), or the little left or right tug on the wheel. Driving her is pure joy!

N is for the NICE looks I get from people wherever I go. Let's face it, these little cars are like cute little kids or puppies - everybody loves them.

And I is for the INCREDIBLE high I've been on for the 2+ months I've owned mine. It's been a long, long time since I've had this much fun in a car!

Old 02-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Hawkins115
2nd Gear
Alright, all of these good things, plus the test drive, I had to do it, my 05 MC is now sitting in my garage, ready to haul me around!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:27 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Most Favorite: Driving the car. Listening to the Super Charger while I wind the engine out. Having a car that has a roof that is easy to wash!

Least Favorite: LOTS of squeaks and rattles. Tire replacement costs on 17" Wheels. Mediocre factory seats.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:36 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I loved everything about my '05 but I traded that in for my Clubman which I will get next Monday. But one great thing is the fuel mileage. You aren't held hostage by the high fuel prices. It allows you to play when you want to like running it up through the gears every now and then and not have to run immediately to the gas station. It also fits my personality perfectly.

Quick Reply: R50/53 What do you love and what is just... meh