R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 So looking at a few used MINI Coopers in the Winnipeg,Manitoba area...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:37 AM
cutchemist42
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So looking at a few used MINI Coopers in the Winnipeg,Manitoba area...

Right now I am looking for a Mini Cooper because according to Consumer Reports, the reliability of the car ever since it has been out has been average or better. Now I have never bought a car before but can say that within two months when I plan to buy I'll be able to put 5,500 down. Now I'm wondering about financing the rest and people's experiences. Like I can say I will definately shop around for different interest rates from my bank and hear out the dealership's financing plans. Just wondering though if any dealership would listen to me with 5,500 down.

Right now too, Autopac (Manitoba's public insurance company) is estimating my monthly insurance payment at 150 a year too.

Also, realistically because I wont have all the money in the world to fix any costly repairs because of university, whats been everyone's experience with reliability from this year?

-2004 Mini Cooper $15,900, Mileage: 86,938(remember this is kms),

Options : AM/FM Stereo, Air Conditioning, Anti-Lock Brakes, CD Player, Driver Air Bag, Dual Air Bag, Fog Lights, Intermittent Wipers, Power Brakes, Power Mirrors, Power Steering, Power Windows, Side Impact Air Bag, Tilt Steering, Leather Interior, Power Locks, Cruise Control, Power Trunk

Description : - Engine: 1.6 Liter Additional Options: Daytime Running Lights, Vanity Mirrors, Cup Holders: Front, Odometer: Digital, Tachometer, Seat(s): Fold Up

-2002 Mini Cooper $13,968, Mileage: 108,132(kms)

Options : Alarm, AM/FM Stereo, Air Conditioning, Anti-Lock Brakes, Bench Seat, CD Player, Driver Air Bag, Dual Air Bag, Fog Lights, Intermittent Wipers, Keyless Entry, Power Brakes, Power Mirrors, Power Steering, Power Windows, Rear Defroster, Side Impact Air Bag, Tilt Steering, Tinted Glass, Heated Seats, Power Locks, Spoiler, Traction Control, Heated Mirrors, Power Trunk, Xenon Headlights

Description : - Engine: 1.6 Liter Additional Options: Brakes: 4-Wheel Disc Brakes, Daytime Running Lights, Head Restraint, Vanity Mirrors, Cup Holders: Front, Cup Holders: Rear, Map Light, Digital Clock, Rear Window Wiper, 3 Point Rear Seat Belts, Climate: Cabin Air Filtration, Touring Suspension, Height Adjustable Seats, Floor Mats: Carpet, Floor Mats: OEM, Tonneau: Soft, Floor Console, Upholstery: Vinyl, Driver Information Centre, Tachometer, Electronic Stability Control, Seat(s): Fold Up, Headlight Sprayer, Compass & Temperature Gauge

Both of these are being sold by the same MINI dealership. I was also wodnering how good of a site is www.carfax.com for car history?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:51 AM
lotsie
Banned
Welcome to NAM

I moved from the Winnipeg area, I lived in Sandy Hook, to the St.Louis area, about 16 months ago. MINI Winnipeg is a very decent dealer, and Karl the MINI tech. really knows his stuff.

My 03 MC that I bought new from them is going to turn over 150,000 Kms any day now, and has not had an issue in over 100,000 Kms.

I would go with the 04, less Kms, and the early builds had some issues. There is lots of info here on NAM about all the model years.

Also contact the local club, good folks.
Here is the clubs forum here on NAM;
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...play.php?f=158

Mark

Old 02-04-2008, 10:55 AM
gtc
1st Gear
I looked at a couple of '02 Minis in Canada - the cheaper ones both had tranny issues (look up "transmission" on the forum for lots of problems). This was apparently fixed in '05 and was never and issue for the "S" models. That being said, many people seem to have higher mileage Minis without this issue.

If I were you, I'd buy something in the US. While it may sound daunting, you'll most likely save a fortune. I picked up an '05 Cooper "S" for my wife for ~20k CAD when the cheapest local vehicles where selling for close to 30k CAD (and my US import had 16k miles (~26k kms) on the odo, while the local vehicles were all much higher mileage).

You will have a few up front costs - drive/flight to the US, $200 fee at the border for importation, and an ~$600 to BMW depending on what work you need done. You also pay the taxes differently - their done after you import the vehicle, so if you're financing you may need to do something creative - ie, one check goes to the US seller, PST is paid directly to the province at time of registeration with MPIC, GST/Duty directly to Rev Canada. I think I paid GST/Duty at the border, but I'm not sure if this is a requirement.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:47 AM
jakay11
4th Gear
Also strongly consider paying slightly more for a CPO, as it carries a 6yr / 100K mi warr. vs. the std. 4yr / 50K mi....

As for buying an US car vs CND car, due to the equality of the USD to CND, its about 25% less expensive to buy in the US...

Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 AM
lotsie
Banned
Yes buying a U.S. issue MINI is a good option, as the previous poster said, and with the dollars hovering around par you won't take a hit there. The U.S. MINIs are WAY cheaper, new and used.

That said, be aware of some differences. Canadian issue MINIs have kilometer speedos, U.S ones read both miles and Kms. The outside temp can be switched between C or F, as can the odo be switch between miles and Kms, by the dealer.

Canadian issue MINIs all come with Xenon headlights, ASC+T(basic traction control) Cold weather package, which includes heated washer jets and heated side mirrors, but not heated seats. But I don't think I ever saw a MINI in the Winnipeg area that did not come with this option

Tranny issue in the MC. Before 05 the MC had a Midlands transmission. There are lots of reports of this tranny failing. In 05 MINI started putting a Gertag Tranny in the MC, a 5 speed, the MCS has always come with a 6 speed Gertag.

My tranny experience; 2nd winter, about 40,000 kms on the car. While driving into Winnipeg(-35c, and had been that cold for a week or so) to go to work one morning as I came to the lights at the Perimeter and #8 I heard a grinding noise coming from under the car. So instead of going downtown, I worked for MTC, I went around to the dealer. When I got there Karl the tech came out, listened to the car and knew right away the problem. An axle seal had let go because of the cold, and tranny fluid was POURING out of the car. This WAS NOT A TRANSMISSION issue, but a bad axle seal failing because of extreme cold. Karl got the car on a lift, drained and flushed the tranny, replaced the axle seals with "NEW" ones redesigned for the 04s , and ordered me a new transmission as there was lots of grindings in the old one. It took 3 weeks for the new one to show up and me have time to get the car to the dealer, but that old tranny worked fine.

Now I got a New Midlands, not a rebuild as would be the case now, and I have not had one problem with it in over 100,000 Kms.

Mark

Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My concern for you would be the part about not being able to afford costly repairs. I wouldn't buy either car unless the dealership offered a significant warranty to ensure that I would not have to pay for expensive repairs for at least a couple years. . .

Old 02-04-2008, 12:10 PM
lotsie
Banned
I agree with my friend Yucca, they need to give you some kind of extended warranty.

Oh not to rub it in but it's 21C here right now

Mark

Old 02-04-2008, 01:23 PM
cutchemist42
Neutral
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Yeah I looked more closely into the Consumer Reports and they said the same thing about the tranny.

Now I'm wondering too about importing and it seriously looks daunting and would require some more careful planning with the different fees to pay plus here's what it said for MINIs.

"See explanations section.

The manufacturer has not provided information to TC on the admissibility of BMW and Mini vehicles. Please contact an authorized Canadian BMW or MINI Retailer to request a letter of admissibility, and for information regarding the exact nature and costs of modifications required. The modifications vary by model and may be expensive.

ALL modifications MUST be performed by an authorized Canadian BMW or MINI Retailer and must be completed before a recall clearance letter can be issued by BMW Group Canada.

Prior to reviewing your request for a letter of admissibility, the following information must be provided:

- Model
- Model year
- 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

An official letter of admissibility from BMW Group Canada must be presented to a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer at time of importation. In addition, the official recall clearance letter obtained from BMW Group Canada once the required retrofits have been completed and documented by an authorized Canadian BMW or Mini Retailer, must be presented to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles in order to properly register a vehicle. "

Does that just sound like more work then it actually is? And seriously because Winnipeg is coooolllllddddd, how livable would an American MINI be in Winnipeg where it's -40 sometimes.