R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 How do you get kids feet to fit in the back? I feel like we need a bigger car :(

Old 12-26-2007, 08:02 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you get kids feet to fit in the back? I feel like we need a bigger car :(

We have 2 kids, 5 and 9, and it seems like it is becoming increasingly more difficult for them to be comfortable in the back seat of the Mini. It's all about their feet. The problem is that their feet don't hang down low enough to fit under the front seat and they end up being sandwiched between the the front seats and the lower rear seat cushion.

This problem has got us thinking about selling the Mini for something bigger, but I really don't want to get rid of this car. What are you guys doing to help your kids be comfortable in the back? Are there certain booster seats that work better than others? Our 9 year old isn't using a booster, so I'm not sure what we can do for him.

I'm really not interested in the clubman, so that's not an option.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:09 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you modify the lower seat cushion? Maybe remove 6 inches or so from the front edge? Just wondering because seats are often 'deeper' than kids need anyway.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:11 AM
donjulio
4th Gear
Move the front seat foward an inch or two!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:17 AM
ernesto
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
My kids were about the same age when I got my MINI..

We needed to keep the passenger seat upright and pretty far forward until my son moved out of the booster seat and could get his feet underneath.

My daughter has always been OK, but I do also keep the drivers and passengers seats as high as possible (my head is close to the headliner) to give them a bit of extra room. When the seat is lower their feet don't fit well.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:27 AM
FP
5th Gear
Time to upgrade to the Club.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:37 AM
ED955S
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You definitely need another car (keep the Mini). I have 2 kids too at 10 & 6 YO and it is tough to keep them comfy in the back other than on short trips.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:39 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 12yr old just folds her legs on the seat when she rides in the back. No complaints so far

Old 12-26-2007, 08:51 AM
vintageb3
Neutral
Cut the little blighters legs off by the knee

vintageb3

Old 12-26-2007, 08:51 AM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ED955S
You definitely need another car (keep the Mini). I have 2 kids too at 10 & 6 YO and it is tough to keep them comfy in the back other than on short trips.
+1

(or cut their feet off)

(...oh dear... i'm so not ready to be a dad)

We opted for the Mini and another Mini....... van. (it's not a Minivan, it's an MPV)

Even though my child is still in the oven, the space, so far, is a life saver and I'm sure will be even more so when the kid pops out!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:55 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mmatarella
Could you modify the lower seat cushion? Maybe remove 6 inches or so from the front edge? Just wondering because seats are often 'deeper' than kids need anyway.
That's an interesting idea. Maybe I could get a used lower and tweak it...

Old 12-26-2007, 10:27 AM
LEPRACHAUN
3rd Gear
Another option. Could be a temporary fix though. I put a little riser under my girls seat (5 YO). Right now it's a square base about 1 1/2" high. She just puts her feet on the seat with her knees up a bit. Basically adjust the height to position the leg/foot as best you can. Hoping next year might be able to take the base off and have her feet fit down properly. Also the seats i have have a thin back ( like a booster seat). May need to move seat a smidge forward also.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Hngn on n the psnger seat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TWISTER
My 12yr old just folds her legs on the seat when she rides in the back. No complaints so far
We have three kids who alternate riding in the back of Angel from 8 to 11. They get in kick off their shoes and sit cross legged. What kid doesn't want to take off their shoes, and having their feet on the seat is just a plus for them.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Big-Daddy-Blue
3rd Gear
We just tell them to put their feet up and cross their legs.

One is 4 and the other is 11.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:44 AM
flaco
4th Gear
you might try junior racing harnesses instead of the booster seats....there's another thread here where a guy uses them with his 3 kids....might give them some extra space

Old 12-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Greg S
3rd Gear
Had ours since the kids were 3 & 5 and now at 4 & 6, both having booster seats we just make sure the front seats are forward enough for them to fit. We have an 06 Accord for longer trips though as it really isn't comfortable for me to move the seat up for very long, I'm 6'3". I'm hoping that pretty soon the older one will be able to get out of the booster and sit normally in the rear. She's tall enough that I'm not too worried about her feet reaching the floor, both kids are in the 90th and up percentile for height.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:51 PM
SB
6th Gear
Sounds like a challenge for a vendor to make the rear seat rear facing while maintaining the seat belts.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:01 PM
minimalism
1st Gear
My 7 and 4 yr olds fit in the back with a little cooperation on all sides. I have my seat pulled forward just enough for their feet to touch the back of the seat, and then tilt the seat back just enough to have my arms at a comfortable length. I'm 5'11. I think I'll be keeping my VW Golf for awhile to hold stuff though.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:17 PM
H.A.W.G.
5th Gear
I just get all my ladies to fold their legs, and take their shoes off, if it works for 19 year old girls it works for anyone

Old 12-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear
great ideas, I will have my daughter try some of these tricks. for know she just puts her feet under the front seats. I am only 5'7" so she has not complained yet.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:08 AM
Marylander
1st Gear
these ARE great ideas. my two girls (4 and 9) don't complain about the room on short trips, although we take all our longer trips in a vehicle with more room.

As a baseline though, I do not recommend the Cooper as a family hauler.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:19 AM
MINIgirly
2nd Gear
I don't know if I can agree with you. From my experience my dads MSC was quite comfortable when we were a bit younger. When he first got it 4 years ago me, my brother, my dad, and mom al drove two and a half hours to Tampa without a single complaint. It wasn't that bad. And mind you I was 15 (at 5 feet) and my brother was 14 (at 5'9). In all honesty though my mom shoud have sat in the back she's 5' as well. I really don't like sitting in the back of a MINI, it's a bit strange. That being said I feel it is impossible to transport the four of us in that same MINI now, (unless mom is in the back with me), a 19 and 18 year old might be a bit uncomfortable:impatient

Old 12-27-2007, 08:36 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to say, I took two 16-year-olds in my backseat recently on a 2.5 hour haul each way, with myself and a friend in the front, with no complaints - in fact, the one 16-year-old is going to be getting her own MINI this winter, and she commented she was comfortable the entire way there and back.

However, the friend and I are not particularly tall (I'm maybe 5'5, she's not much taller)...I sit with the seat pretty much all the way forward anyway and my friend scooted hers up to make a little more leg room.

But really, no complaints....out of teenagers, no less

I think if everyone compromises a little, it works...if you're not like, 6', you don't really NEED the seat all the way back.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:51 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
But really, no complaints....out of teenagers, no less
Teenagers wouldn't have the problem I'm having because their legs are long enough to get their feet under the front seat. I fit in the back just fine, it's our short-legged kids that are having the problem.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:01 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by early_apex
Teenagers wouldn't have the problem I'm having because their legs are long enough to get their feet under the front seat. I fit in the back just fine, it's our short-legged kids that are having the problem.
Yep - my 11 year old has no problem behind me as long as I jack the seat up a couple of pumps for foot clearance - my 8 year old was OK in his booster, but now out of the booster his legs stick straight ahead - and the passenger seat has to be far forward to clear them.. Crossing legs works for a while - though might be a challenge on those 8 hour drives...

I'm thinking about investing in one of these...

Old 12-28-2007, 08:45 AM
LEPRACHAUN
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Yep - my 11 year old has no problem behind me as long as I jack the seat up a couple of pumps for foot clearance - my 8 year old was OK in his booster, but now out of the booster his legs stick straight ahead - and the passenger seat has to be far forward to clear them.. Crossing legs works for a while - though might be a challenge on those 8 hour drives...

I'm thinking about investing in one of these...
How far are the knees from the edge of the back seat? Could something like a fat cushion like from a rocking chair work? Also please post if the rack works. That way we'll know a source for a "slightly used"one if needed later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 How do you get kids feet to fit in the back? I feel like we need a bigger car :(