North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 DSC Saved my life... (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/122799-dsc-saved-my-life.html)

xkot 12-13-2007 03:56 PM

DSC Saved my life...

So it was bucketing down rain a while back, and going around a corner prolly a little fast for conditions. I turned but instead of turning i started to plow straight towards the ditch, then BAM. I was back on course in a matter of milliseconds... I thought to my self, I just about died, but my DSC saved me. So this is to reassure all those out there that are possibly worried whether their DSC is a good option or not. Keep me out of the ditch. Good option.:thumbsup:

ScottinBend 12-13-2007 05:33 PM

Now that's what I am talking about........... !

Glad things worked out and let's hope the anti-DSC nannies get the hint.....lol

'*Ace*' 12-13-2007 05:35 PM

Well theres your problem.:razz:

Originally Posted by xkot (Post 1922993)
...and going around a corner prolly a little fast for conditions.

ScottinBend 12-13-2007 05:42 PM

and isn't that the whole reason for it..........it helped when needed

xkot 12-13-2007 05:42 PM

i understand but still it rocks.

'*Ace*' 12-13-2007 05:48 PM

No doubt!
I rock it too most of the time.
Glad you and your car are still in one piece.

xkot 12-13-2007 06:00 PM

ye. me too. but yeah use it! especially in bad weather

Crashton 12-13-2007 06:08 PM

Public service message

Glad that your nanny saved you from your mistake.:nod: Slow down & drive to the conditions. That goes for those with nanny's & those without.:wink:

ScottinBend 12-13-2007 07:55 PM

Just couldn't resist could ya crash.........now go back to your regularly scheduled whine.......!

xkot 12-13-2007 09:27 PM

i understand... you all wish to rep remand me. but honestly stop, just though i would give a shout out to how awesome DSC is and then you all got to go put in your two cents, worthless in some cases.... honestly.

Edge 12-13-2007 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by xkot (Post 1923964)
i understand... you all wish to rep remand me. but honestly stop, just though i would give a shout out to how awesome DSC is and then you all got to go put in your two cents, worthless in some cases.... honestly.

That's Crashton in a nutshell, when it comes to DSC.

I swear he has an automatic notification that pops up any time a new thread with the letters "DSC" are in it. :roll:

Glad to know it helped you. I love the technology too. I'll turn it off in controlled conditions (or when I am deliberately wanting to exceed it's boundaries), but for casual driving where I'm not trying to push the limits, it stays on.

DSC is for protecting against the unexpected...

xkot 12-13-2007 10:13 PM

oh yah it totally did what i wanted my car to even when i was plowing in the corner.

Benibiker 12-13-2007 10:37 PM

Did it fight you in any way, did it take over the car's controls or did it just enhance your corrections?

rkw 12-13-2007 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Benibiker (Post 1924105)
Did it fight you in any way, did it take over the car's controls or did it just enhance your corrections?

I won't speak for xkot, but the system is designed to modulate the throttle and brakes to help keep the car moving in the direction of where you steer it. This video shows how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akZ9AaFB7Zc

Robin Casady 12-13-2007 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 1924015)
That's Crashton in a nutshell, when it comes to DSC.

Yup, Crashton never makes a mistake, and nothing unexpected ever happens to him. I wonder why his username is Crashton?

DixonL2 12-14-2007 05:35 AM

When mine's kicked in for handling reasons, it basically felt like the ABS pulsates, the car straightens, and that's about it. It doesn't "take over the car's controls" and the only time it's annoying is when I accelerate hard on a low friction surface and want to get a little wheelspin - then it cuts throttle a bit more than I'd like.

I also leave it on for everyday unless I want to "exceed it's boundaries" - like accelerate hard. Nothing wrong with having a "guardian angel"... I'd rather have DSC and make the mistake of not turning it "off" than not have it.

Now that annoying e-brake bonger in the r56's, that's another story entirely!

Yucca Patrol 12-14-2007 05:45 AM

When I am in performance driving situations and "forget" to turn of DSC, I find that it rarely kicks in, and when it does, it does it when I KNOW I made a mistake and am over-driving the car.

When I am in control and driving smoothly (which is what all my driving instructors have said makes one fast through the turns), iI never feel it working.

\

ignote 12-14-2007 05:49 AM

Sounds like Jesus took the wheel.

resmini 12-14-2007 06:28 AM

Isn't there something called ASC that's standard? What does it do?

resmini 12-14-2007 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by ignote (Post 1924285)
Sounds like Jesus took the wheel.

Yep, Divine Stability Control :)

Yucca Patrol 12-14-2007 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by resmini (Post 1924384)
Yep, Divine Stability Control :)

Ok, that is easily the funniest thing I have read here in a very long time! :lol:

Suzanne's Chili Red S 12-14-2007 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by resmini (Post 1924375)
Isn't there something called ASC that's standard? What does it do?

I think that's for wheelspin only not dynamic handling. Not 100% sure.

reelsmith. 12-14-2007 08:23 AM

Cool !

Nice to know DSC will help out in a situation like that.:thumbsup:

DSC did me no favors last night.

I was driving up a very, very steep, winding, snow covered hill. I have Blizzaks on the car and and it makes my MINI feel like it has all wheel drive. Very cool. :nod:

I was about half way up the hill, feeling no loss of traction whatsoever when the DSC light started flashing like crazy, the wheels lost grip and I started to drift into the oncoming lane.

I quickly turned DSC off, the car regained traction, I was able to get back into my lane and continue up and over the hill.

I have no idea what that was all about, but it scared the crap out of me! :eek:

dean.

Gromit801 12-14-2007 08:38 AM

I have the MCAW circuit that automatically shuts off the DSC, unless I want it on. Anytime the road is wet, it gets turned on.

DixonL2 12-14-2007 09:24 AM

reelsmith: That's one of the situations where I actually turn it "off". It seems to work well when roads are wet, or in regular, short duration emergency maneuvers - like to get around something, or to get you stopped. When traction is REALLY bad it seems to get overwhelmed and doesn't know what you're doing - I think it's saying "stop" when I'm saying "go".

resmini: ASC is Automatic Slip Control - basically traction control. It only helps in certain situations to get you going. Basically, it's ABS in reverse, on the front wheels only, fore-and-aft motion only. DSC works with lateral motion as well, to help the car regain composure in turns. DSC can brake any of the 4 individual wheels to try to bring a car back on course. Neither can repeal the laws of physics, neither is perfect in all situations. Of course, no driver is perfect in all situations either. Many threads on this...