R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Falling apart at 42K miles: some DIY questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:14 PM
fourwdvw
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Falling apart at 42K miles: some DIY questions...

I just got my 2002 MCS back from the dealer yesterday with a power steering pump replacement at 42K miles. The ps pump had some sort of internal failure that caused it to run all the time, even when the engine was off and the car locked down which driained the battery.

At about the same time the a/c stopped working, and I thought it was maybe do to excessive loads, who knows- it was not well thought out on my part.

Anyway, the technician reports back that the "a/c line damaged (from evaporator to condensor)" with an estimate for $1100 to replace it.

He also left me with an even longer list of needed workt:
Oil pan gasket -which I know I can do myself for $25- $685
Both control arm rubber mounts torn $800
Strut mounts torn - passenger side really bad- $740
Needs alignment after above work: $200.

So up to 42K miles my MCS was trouble free, and suddenly -after paying almost $1K for the power steering pump - I am facing another $3K, at least according to the dealer.

I'm a somewhat competent diy guy, done timing belt changes, shock and spring replacements, that sort of thing on Audis and VWs. I really bought a new MCS to avoid working on another car, but I guess it has come to this .

First question: Though I might go to a a/c shop to get the system recharged, is replacement of the evap-condensor line a reasonable do it yourself task for me? Any idea why they would charge $1100 ?

Second question: are there any tasks on the whole list that, in the interest of saving my labor time, should be done together?

I guess the time has come to buy the Bentley. Another other suggestions gladly welcomed.

Thanks very much,

Tom F.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:11 AM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, I'm new here, first post. I'm planning on getting an '02-'05 dark grey S model in the near future when I find the right car at the right price. I found this site while looking for info so that I'm informed before I buy my Mini.

Anyway, to the point. I'm a tech at a Honda dealer, I've been at my current dealer for over 11 years and I've seen all sorts of mechanics come and go. I'm an honest person and I never try and sell work that isn't needed or drastically inflate the labor times. There are repairs that may cost the customer $250 if I do it and $500 or more if another tech (combined with a dishonest or not very knowledgible service advisor) sells the job. Again, I don't know much about Minis but it seems pretty clear that someone is trying to seriously rip you off.

Our 4-wheel alignments are $79... I can't imagine why a Mini alignment would cost $200. I believe it's just a toe setting... camber or caster probably isn't even adjustable on these cars.

How can an A/C line replacement cost $1100? Even if it's three hours labor at $90/hour plus $40 for freon and $50 for the hose that comes out to $360.

And why would an oil pan gasket be needed at 42k miles? If it were indeed leaking (and it more than likely isn't) then that should surely be covered by a good-will warranty at such a low mileage.

It's hard to find a good mechanic. He needs to be honest but he also needs to be knowledgible. From my 21 years in the business I'd say that only about 20% of the techs at a shop fit into that catagory. Yes, only one in five at best. A lot of people seem to think that a dealer is more expensive than an independent shop but I've worked for a couple independent shops and I don't believe that to be true. With an indenpendent shop you get non-factory parts, which, believe me on this, are very inferior to OEM parts. You also get a tech who doesn't have nearly the experience with your make of car as a dealer tech who works on the same make of car all day, every day. I see a lot of mis-diagnosis at independent shops and a tendency to keep replacing parts until the problem is fixed at the customer's expense. So the dealer is the way to go because cars are getting unbelieveably complex these days and a tech needs the support, training, and vast wealth of available information of the manufacturer behind him. You just need to find the right tech and stick with him, maybe other forum members in your area can post here and help you out with your search. Until then, I would not authorize the repairs you listed above and I would not deal with that tech or advisor ever again. Hope this helps.