R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Union Jack or not to Union Jack, that is the question…

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 04:27 PM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife and I are having, let’s say a discussion, on whether or not I should get a Union Jack on top of the car. I have the Dark Silver white top with the sunroof. Since CarVogue has the Union Jack for sunroofs I could get one now. My wife says it will look stupid with the color combo on the car but she didn’t like the bonnet stripes and rally lights until she saw one in person. What do you think? My car is on pages 31 & 32 of the Member MINIs page. My Car at Member MINIs

Old 08-14-2002, 04:35 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DON'T DO IT! Your MINI is PERFECT!!!

Old 08-14-2002, 04:37 PM
RJSquirrel
3rd Gear
First of all, I think your car looks great. As to the Union Jack, I have it on my car, but the car is chili red/white. I've also seen it on dark blue car and it looked real nice. I've also seen it on a green car and aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the clash of colors was really harsh. Your car is a bit more of a neutral color, so it might look fine. Silly as this might sound, why not but some pieces of red and blue fabric or paper on the roof and see how the colors all go together. You might also consider the black/white checker pattern for the roof. That'd look pretty cool.

Old 08-14-2002, 04:56 PM
zwoman
3rd Gear
Is there a website for CarVogue? I'm getting a black roof and a sunroof; I'm wondering if they have the checkered flag available??? :smile:

Old 08-14-2002, 04:58 PM
zwoman
3rd Gear
>>Is there a website for CarVogue? I'm getting a black roof and a sunroof; I'm wondering if they have the checkered flag available??? :smile:

Never mind - found it: http://www.carvogue.co.uk/

Old 08-14-2002, 05:00 PM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear
RJSquirrel thats a great idea, red and blue paper, it hits you like the blond joke "big red firetruck, duh!"! I should have thought of that, guess I am not perfect after all, just as my wife says.

Thought about the checker pattern but it isn't me. CarVogue also has a silver Union Jack that I thought of doing since it wouldn't clash, but I have to contact them by phone to see if that can be done on the white top, the website says it is for the black top and didn't mention if that was available for the sunroof. 8 hour time difference, I keep forgetting to call in the morning before they leave for the day.

Oh, Greatgro, thanks for the compliment, I am soooo happy with this car.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:15 PM
DaveFrehley
4th Gear
I agree with it looking perfect the way it is..... but if you really want the union jack i'd say go for the silver one if it suits you....... but i don't think the red/white/blue U.J. flag would look good on it!

Old 08-14-2002, 05:16 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'll have to check out Carvogue again!

Old 08-14-2002, 06:07 PM
sirron
5th Gear
I'm going with a white Union Jack, that way I dont have to do anything to my LTL YELO, because the top is already white. What a way to save money!

If you have a black top, get a black flag, then you won't have ants when you use peanut butter on your car!

Old 08-14-2002, 06:38 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
gobsmaked

First, let me say that I love the Union Jack roof decals. But, your MINI already looks great and I'm not too sure the dark silver would go well with the colors of the Union Jack. I think the Chili Red and Indi Blue MINI's look great with the Union Jack. But, the with dark silver I might shy away from putting the U.J. on your roof. Now, on the other hand, the silver U.J. sounds very cool. That might look rather nice on your car. If you end up putting a U.J. decal on your roof then I'd vote for the silver one.

Old 08-14-2002, 07:29 PM
C4
Banned
I would go with the checkered flag instead. If you are American and live in America, why not go for the Star Spangle banner flag instead?

Old 08-14-2002, 07:43 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear

Funny you should mention this. I was just telling my wife that I wanted to put a Union Jack decal on my roof. She asked me the same question you posed: why not the Star Spangle banner? My response was that the MINI is British (even though BMW makes it) and the Union Jack just looks cooler than the U.S. flag. She was unconvinced, but I'm going with the Union Jack anyway.

Old 08-14-2002, 07:53 PM
C4
Banned
Sounds pretty agreeable to me!

I think the US Flag looks better only on Chili Red/White roof MINIs.

The checkered flag tends to blend better on Liquid Yellowwhite roof MINIs.

Once you get the UJ installed in your MCS, please post some pics....if you get a silver UJ I would love to see how it blends with your car.

Have fun and don't argue too much with the wife! Women....women.....

Old 08-14-2002, 07:59 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
>>Sounds pretty agreeable to me!
>>
>>I think the US Flag looks better only on Chili Red/White roof MINIs.
>>
>>The checkered flag tends to blend better on Liquid Yellowwhite roof MINIs.
>>
>>
>>Once you get the UJ installed in your MCS, please post some pics....if you get a silver UJ I would love to see how it blends with your car.
>>
>>Have fun and don't argue too much with the wife! Women....women.....

I will definately post some pics when I get it all set and ready. I'm still undecided if I want to be daring and get the silver UJ and see how it works with my car. Though, I think chili red might go better with a color UJ. I saw a chili red at my dealer with a US Flag and I agree with you, it looked pretty darn good.

And I've learned that you can never win an argument with a woman!

Old 08-14-2002, 08:48 PM
sirron
5th Gear
>>I would go with the checkered flag instead. If you are American and live in America, why not go for the Star Spangle banner flag instead?

Old 08-14-2002, 08:54 PM
Verruckt
4th Gear
>>Is there a website for CarVogue? I'm getting a black roof and a sunroof; I'm wondering if they have the checkered flag available??? :smile:

YES! I am getting this on my BRG Cooper S with sunroof. I just have to get up the nerve to install it myself. I read that dishsoap removes car wax. I guess that's the first step!

Old 08-14-2002, 09:11 PM
sirron
5th Gear
Verrukt>>>>Is there a website for CarVogue? I'm getting a black roof and a sunroof; I'm wondering if they have the checkered flag available??? :smile:
>>
>>YES! I am getting this on my BRG Cooper S with sunroof. I just have to get up the nerve to install it myself.

Old 08-14-2002, 11:49 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
My 2cents ... The full color union jack would probally look fab, if you took off the bonnet stripes, or went with a union jack style stripes... (I think i saw them somewhere....) but if you wanna keep your stripes the way they are, the silver union jack would also look cool... But if you're a roof decorating type, go for it... I'm not huge into the roof designs myself, (my car en-route is got enough colored bits for me...) but if you think you are that type, go for it...

Rocketboy_X

Old 08-15-2002, 09:16 AM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear
WOW, a lot of opinions and I appreciate them. My wife likes to hear that she is right. That does mean that I have to tell her she is right too.

If I can convince her to go with the UJ I can get the silver in any combination per CarVogue. I think it would be very cool with the silver, black and white for the UJ. The next task, convince her.

Thanks everyone. Oh, I'm going with the UJ cuz the car is British, it just seems to go together.

If anyone is interested here is CarVogue's responce.

We can do what ever combination you want. The perforated roof decals have to be printed anyway and then laminated. So within reason the £217 allows any combination of colour on a UJ you wish. Greens, silvers, blues,reds, yellows greys etc
In simple terms what we would do to create that decal would be put a white perforated base down on the sunroof and then you have a choice, as we will have to do a one off. You can either have the red in dark or light silver or the blue in dark or light silver.

Bottom line is you tell us exactly what you would like to see and we can do it for you

Old 08-15-2002, 11:23 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Old 08-15-2002, 01:07 PM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear
OK, final decision, I am going to order a sliver, black and white UJ for the MCS! Ought to look very cool. It is going to cost me twice as much though. She knows how to work me.

I wish to thank everyone on their input. It helps to keep me level headed when it comes to the MINI. Very easy to go overboard.

Cheers!

Gobsmacked

Old 08-15-2002, 01:14 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
>>OK, final decision, I am going to order a sliver, black and white UJ for the MCS! Ought to look very cool. It is going to cost me twice as much though. I hope my wife doesn't get any ideas from yours when it comes time for me to customize my MINI.

Old 08-18-2002, 05:36 PM
wdfoto
1st Gear
Take a look at my sunroof/flag, that I did myself

Page Titlehttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/arkans...yguid=39537619

Old 08-18-2002, 07:37 PM
Verruckt
4th Gear
>>Take a look at my sunroof/flag, that I did myself

hey, could you post detailed, step-by-step, beginning to end? Maybe in installments or somehting? In the tech forums? I'm mainly concerned with reference points on the car that I can use to make sure everything is centered, and that all of my layout lines are perpendicular to eachother. The actual application doesn't bother me, I'm just unsure about the layout. So forget all the other bits, and let me amend my earlier request:

Could you explain, in detail, your layout proceedure for the chequed roof?

Old 08-18-2002, 08:51 PM
wdfoto
1st Gear
I noticed that I needed to go 5 squares wide, and that I have a sunroof, so looking at other cars on the net I needed to have a black squares at the front corners of thte car. I started at the center of the sunroof, measured the width of the sunroof and found the center and since I was using 9" squares, measured offf the center 4 1/2" and that would be the edge of the first square. I laid out a two pieces of blue masking tape parallel to the edge of the sunroof. Then i just started laying down the squares with a lot of soap and water. Only took about one hour to stick all down.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Union Jack or not to Union Jack, that is the question…