North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Queer Owners Club - QoC (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/queer-owners-club-qoc-297/)
-   -   It's so quite in here (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/queer-owners-club-qoc/219455-its-so-quite-in-here.html)

Gizmo 10-25-2011 07:11 PM

It's so quiet in here

Hasn't been much chatter recently...

How has everyone been doing?

tippykayak 10-25-2011 07:31 PM

I'm good. Engaged as of August, taking the Countryman on trips together to see family, spent the weekend in Maine, all that kind of stuff.

How're you?

Gizmo 10-25-2011 07:33 PM

Congratulations on the engagement!

I've been busy with school and work, as well as getting ready for the Halloween Run in CT.

Melangell 10-25-2011 08:53 PM

Congrats Tippy! Just coasting here in Savannah. Only new thing is a tat or two. Next is

"Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost." across my shoulders.

Gizmo 10-26-2011 05:12 AM

Very cool! How has your car been running?

Melangell 10-26-2011 04:04 PM

Mine? Very well except I've burned thru 2 run flats in 9700 miles! Dragon did lots of damage. Replacing with Kumho Ecsta 4X's

Gizmo 10-26-2011 04:08 PM

I would rather just keep a slim kit in my boot than have to deal with runflats, 9,700 miles is ridiculous!

tippykayak 10-26-2011 04:12 PM

I'm thinking of switching to non-runflats once my runflats wear out, but I'm a little leery of running with just a slime kit.

Gizmo 10-26-2011 04:14 PM

Are donuts available for the countryman? You could put one in the boot for longer trips and have slime for every day usage.

Melangell 10-26-2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by JohnW94 (Post 3386113)
I would rather just keep a slim kit in my boot

Got me all tingly for a moment!!!!! :grin::grin::grin::grin:

I agree with the idea. I am going to run my remaining 2 run flats in front till they die then replace with two more Kumho's. I will have a Slime kit with compressor in the boot and the phone number to someone who will rescue me if need be in my iPhone.

Gizmo 10-26-2011 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Melangell (Post 3386123)
the phone number to someone who will rescue me if need be in my iPhone.

Wait... there isn't an app for that? :wink:

I have AAA so I don't have to worry too much about getting towed. I found a nail in one of my tires in the Austin Mini the other day...luckily it was small enough that it didn't go through the thread all the way.

Melangell 10-26-2011 04:31 PM

The Austin's cute. Glad his foot wasn't hurt too much. More personal rescues are more fun than AAA!

Gizmo 10-26-2011 04:35 PM

This is true! My friend Robyn doesn't have AAA and one time she had to get her clubby towed. So the dealership called up someone to tow the car.

Well, the flatbed pulled up with "BUCKWILD" written in giant letters on the back of the cab and she said the guys ass was hanging out the entire time. I would prefer not to go through that....would be scarred for life.

Melangell 10-26-2011 05:03 PM

Depends on the ass, but I can imagine the horror!!!! I live in the South.

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Drinking on the balcony, listening to P!nk, rubbing Tattoo Goo on tattoo... come join!

Gizmo 10-26-2011 05:08 PM

She said it wasn't a pretty picture, it was some old hick guy.

I would prefer to be out on a balcony but it is already cold up here and I have a lot of paper to finish. Woo...

Melangell 10-26-2011 05:27 PM

Ahhh,Old hick guy!!!! We have those here. Just saw New Jersey... Lived there once years...... ago... South Jersey, Turnersville. Coming to the Dragon in 2012?

Gizmo 10-26-2011 05:30 PM

That's about an hour south of where I am, I try to stay north of the Pine Barrens...

I want to come but I won't have time in my schedule to do so with school and work. My group of MINI friends up here in the northeast are trying to get me to go to MOT though and I think I am going to that.

The dragon will have to wait for the future though!

tippykayak 10-26-2011 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by JohnW94 (Post 3386120)
Are donuts available for the countryman? You could put one in the boot for longer trips and have slime for every day usage.

There are donuts available, but none that fit under the boot floor (that I know of). I need the trunk space, so I can't sacrifice that for a donut. The space under the boot floor isn't very big, so I'm not sure there will ever be a reasonable donut for the Countryman.

Gizmo 10-26-2011 06:05 PM

I don't know how handy you are, but I wonder if you could fabricate some kind of roof mounting for it. Like the old rally cars that would have spares on the roof. I know you have the kayak, so maybe there would be a way to have it be attached to the rear section of the roof and have the kayak attached above that so it will be at an angle.

tippykayak 10-26-2011 07:12 PM

Nah - that's worse than the trunk. It would kill my mileage.

Gizmo 10-26-2011 07:24 PM

Hmmm..true.

Do you have a trailer hitch?

tippykayak 10-26-2011 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by JohnW94 (Post 3386258)
Hmmm..true.

Do you have a trailer hitch?

Nope. I thought about a liftgate mount like my Jeep had, but that seems like a lot of trouble.

Gizmo 10-26-2011 07:31 PM

Liftgate would be a lot of trouble. Looks like you may be sticking with runflats for a bit longer :thumbsup:

flatlander_48 11-03-2011 09:08 AM

Still in Taiwan, but should be back in the US by mid-December. Not looking forward to coming back in the Winter after 15 months in a warm climate, but it is what it is. Definitely miss driving our MINI. I get a bit nostalgic whenever I pass one on the street here.

One of the downsides to spending long periods of time in a foreign country is that a lot happens back home that you miss. On a personal note, my granddaughter has a birthday this coming Saturday and my son's will be next Monday. On a professional note, our CTO spoke at Out and Equal last month. Plus and Minus, I guess. There's a lot to like here as far as I'm concerned and I will miss it when I go back to the US. On the other hand, long stays have the effect of disconnecting you with what happens back home...

And yes, I have also noticed that the QoC has been very quiet. Are folks really that busy? And somehow, I get the feeling that there may be a FEW more LGBT MINI owners than the 40+ who are listed in the Roll Call. If so, I'd like to hear from you and get you signed up!!

Happy Trails...

Gizmo 11-13-2011 05:20 PM

Pardon the delayed response, flat.

It will certainly be a bit colder here than in Taiwan at this time of the year :lol: But at least you will be able to drive your MINI again soon!

I couldn't imagine being away from home for that long of a period of time, I definitely give you props for that.

We just need some general threads going to get the chatting up again. Hopefully more LGBT owners do sign up, we are the friendliest Owner's Club here ;)