Pro Solo career opportunities?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:58 PM
justintime
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by planeguy
Well that is just a question of what kind of life you want....Most pros started very young and grew up racing go karts and grew up with some connection to racing. on the other end of the spectrum....Around here there are plenty of rednecks living in trailer homes taking thier camaros to the dirt tracks every week. They get to race every week

you are asking the right questions at the right time in life...IMO having a family means putting them first....meaning they get you best not your seconds or thirds. If you do intend to have a family You should not pursue ANY long term carreer track that takes you away from them on a regular basis....If you want to race or be a travelling salesperson...etc... in the meantime, fine, but that entire time you should be preparing for your whole world to change when you get married. .....So even if you did make it into real racing at this point in life, that lifestyle is not appropriate for wives and kids to recieve your best.
well I actually did grow up racing quarter midgets/ dirt karts haha. I also happen to run pits and sometimes a few heat laps when my uncle ran his stock car... Ive grown up around racing, grown up racing and thats exactly what I dont want haha (running the dirt oval tracks every weekend)

I cant say im good enough yet to run with the big guys but thats another thing I have to keep in mind. driving schools more seat time, and more seat time.

I havn't decided if I want a family yet or not and that would be a hard and possibly bad decision to make at my age. I do understand however the racing lifestyle wouldnt be the best on a family but if I happened to find someone with the same motivations, interests, goals exc I dont see it being a problem.

Im still however clueless as to how to make it happen. in stock cars its semilar to what I relate to the tennis brackets. you win novice stuff, move up to bigger and more recognized tracks. win there move up get sponsered travel around and race. if you excell there typically you jump to another class of car or oval racing. But most are content as is haha.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:58 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tennis bracket. I dont get it.
at your age, you win satelite you start playing open. sponsers dont ever pay you because thats illegal (but you get free stuff).

but if you go pro they just count points. in fact you can even buy points if you want.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:57 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
2nd

2nd

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 01-18-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
$$$$$Lotsa Money$$$$$$$

Originally Posted by justintime
I've taken four years of autotech and been an an apprentice the past two. I have the wrench knowledge Im just not sure what I want to do. I love the arts and cars/mechanical things. I would love to race as a profession but I have no idea money wise whats in it... It wouldnt matter terribly if it made a living.. but if it didnt that could be a problem.
in a perfect setting (job w/decent pay + free time(not to many hours) = track time and ideal situation. is there such a combination?
edit: finding a job I enjoy not involving cars is difficult haha. I could go for business, architecture, exc. theres plenty of stuff..However im in the search for options in what I love right now.. and chances are it will wind up being a hobby. which isnt bad but Id like more out of it.

LOTSA MONEY........ THAT YOU'LL SPEND
Racing does not pay, unless you are the cream of the crop among pros, F1 driver, or NASCAR and even then you have to fund yourself up until you get to that point. Not everyone is a Lewis Hamilton (behind the wheel of gokarts at 5yrs old and natural extraordinary skill). Imagine (the cost) having to travel to laguna seca, vir, sears point, with all spare parts, cars crew, hotel, food, GAASS. It gets pretty expensive. Its an expensive hobby, but you'll never know if your good unless you get out there, try NASA HPDE, SCCA, BMWCCA. CHECK OUT BACK ISSUES OF gRASSROOT mOTORsPORTS they got and issue about different carreers in motorsports.

NASA Texas Schedule
2008 NASA Texas schedule.
February 9-10 MSR Houston
March 15-16 MSR Cresson
March 29-30 Texas Mile, Goliad Texas
(April 5-6 Texas Mile back up date)
April 19-20 Texas World Speedway 2.9 Counter Clockwise w/ 4 hour Enduro
April 25-27 Grand Prix of Houston Sanctioned by NASA Texas
June 21-22 Hallet
August 2-3 Texas World Speedway 2.9 Clockwise
October 11-12 Eagles Canyon
October 25-26 Texas Mile, Goliad Texas
November 1-2 (Texas Mile back up date )

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 01-18-2008 at 11:12 PM.