Pro Solo Proper way to launch Mini S

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 07:21 AM
TomA
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper way to launch Mini S

Those who run Pro Solo must have this down to a science working off of 60ft times. How much front-tire spin is too much spin? I'm guessing let the clutch go at about 3000-3200 rpm and keep throttle planted? Or is it better to have a little more rpm and modulate the throttle to hook-up the front tires? Less rpm? I understand that surface grip plays a big role but still I'm hoping there are some general guidelines.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:25 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
The way I do it is, rev it up, pop the clutch to the point where there is a little spin through the first second or so of the launch.

A little spin is good since your at threshold of grip and the power stays up, too much spin and you don't move out of the box very well, no spin at all leaves you in the dust bogged down. :-)

Anyway, thats my theory.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:20 AM
BGarfield
4th Gear
Tom, you said it at the end of your post, it's completely dependant upon the surface. That said, around 3k is about normal. I plant my foot unless it feels too easy, then I'll give up just the right amount to allow it to grab, but not bog.

Brian Garfield

Old 01-12-2006, 11:41 AM
TomA
2nd Gear
Some drag racing guys say they slip the clutch, not just let it go. Even sitting here that smells bad to me. I'm assuming you're letting the clutch out as fast as possible without just sliding your foot off to the side -- sidestepping it-- right?

Thanks Craig, Brian.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:59 AM
GRMPer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did some 0-60s with the MINI and as usual, the fastest way is to rev the car up to the 3k range, bring out the clutch, feather in the gas and allow some wheelspin...not any clutch slip.

that's pretty typical of any car...some (20%?) wheelspin. It's enough for you think the wheels are spinning, but not enough to reduce momentum.

Per

Old 01-12-2006, 01:16 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Also, I personally let blip the gas while waiting for the light to turn. Thats just my personal preference I think. I will also have the clutch pushed down just far enough to dis-engage the clutch, which is about half way down if I remember, that way, its a quicker, shorter engagement of the clutch.

Basically, I'll be pumping it to keep the rev's in the 3-3500 range, then, when the 2nd light turns yellow, I'll let her rip. I'm sure there could be a more optimal way to do it, but, thats my way. :-)

Old 01-12-2006, 04:44 PM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
I personally think that revving up to 3000-3500 will make you spin too much...

What I usually do is, I rev up to about 2500rpm, dump the clutch and instead of flat on the gas I start about half way and I gradually push it to full... This was my car only does a bit of wheel spin just enough to get going.

But the again the surface is key here... If I feel like the street can give more grip then I'll rev higher...

However, keep in mind that the mini pulls front... and front wheel drive cars are not known for have a quick lunch...

And I almost forgot... ha-ha the number one factor in lunching in being relax almost everyone I gets a little nervous specially if one is racing a fast car.
for example this morning as I was coming to work I pulled up to a light and there was a young kid on an SRT-4 (mind this cars are very fast) and well I knew I was going to get blown but I went for it. I was relaxed just waiting for the right time... but when I look to the neon the drive is visually nervous. Bottom line from light to light I pulled 2 cars on him.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Built-by-Bones
2nd Gear
The grippier concrete of Wendover, Denver and Topeka seemed to need more that 3500rpm.

Drivers notes show launches of 4500 at Wendover. It must have worked, Mary dominated there, and Jake was PDQ too.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:48 AM
pooch1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:impatient

Old 02-03-2006, 04:21 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
I have tried some 0-60 runs in my Mini using my neat little Gtech pro... I've never had a real 'sports' car before, and this is the first manual transmission I've owned, despite learning on one 8 years ago...

I never thought to rev prior to launch. I've always been at idle, drop the clutch, hit the gas, and the best time I've gotten is 7.0 seconds for 0-60. I blamed my poor shifting skills mostly, but I'm thinking I could get better times if I learned how to properly launch with a few RPMs already on the tach.

Also interested in more opinions/guides/tutorials on how to launch if anyone knows any.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:53 AM
JiminVirginia
2nd Gear
I think this is on the mark:

Originally Posted by warchieft2k
I personally think that revving up to 3000-3500 will make you spin too much...

What I usually do is, I rev up to about 2500rpm, dump the clutch and instead of flat on the gas I start about half way and I gradually push it to full... This was my car only does a bit of wheel spin just enough to get going.

But the again the surface is key here... If I feel like the street can give more grip then I'll rev higher...

However, keep in mind that the mini pulls front... and front wheel drive cars are not known for have a quick lunch...

And I almost forgot... ha-ha the number one factor in lunching in being relax almost everyone I gets a little nervous specially if one is racing a fast car.
for example this morning as I was coming to work I pulled up to a light and there was a young kid on an SRT-4 (mind this cars are very fast) and well I knew I was going to get blown but I went for it. I was relaxed just waiting for the right time... but when I look to the neon the drive is visually nervous. Bottom line from light to light I pulled 2 cars on him.
At the DC Pro I think I was using too many RPMs and I was way too nervous (first Pro). But I noticed in the event results that all the STX MINIs nevertheless ended up with very similar 60 foot times, 2.5-2.6 seconds (some of the Subies were cutting 1.9s). It was frustrating to get the car to hook up, but I'm inclined to think the differences aren't great as long as you avoid bogging.

Craig actually had great results in the rain on Sunday using a conventional street launch on the wet pavement. I'll have to remember that,.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:13 AM
rschumin
1st Gear
At the DC Pro I think I was using too many RPMs and I was way too nervous (first Pro). But I noticed in the event results that all the STX MINIs nevertheless ended up with very similar 60 foot times, 2.5-2.6 seconds (some of the Subies were cutting 1.9s). It was frustrating to get the car to hook up, but I'm inclined to think the differences aren't great as long as you avoid bogging.

Craig actually had great results in the rain on Sunday using a conventional street launch on the wet pavement. I'll have to remember that,.
I was never really satisfied with my starts in DC. I had a .515 light on Friday in the practice, but I had trouble managing wheelspin all weekend. I also just drove it out at idle in the rain on Sunday, but there wasn't a lot of grip with very worn V710's in the start area.