North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   SCCA Solo and ProSolo (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/scca-solo-and-prosolo-199/)
-   -   Pro Solo SCCA Pro Solo FAQ (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/scca-solo-and-prosolo/20750-scca-pro-solo-faq.html)

BGarfield 01-15-2004 11:30 PM

What is an SCCA Pro Solo competition?

- A Pro Solo is similar to a regular Solo II event in that it is a timed precision driving event on a course around cones and against the clock, NOT other cars on the same course. Just like in Solo II, knocking a cone over or out of the box counts as a 2 second penalty.

- A Pro Solo is an event using two courses with a drag race start of at least 100 feet, signaled by "Christmas Tree" lights.

- At the end of the minimum 100 feet, the two cars peel off in opposite directions to run mirrored courses that are designed as similar as possible.

- Your time starts when the light turns green, so while running in class, the first one to the finish lights wins. If you leave before the green, you "redlight" which disqualifies that run.

- Pro Solo courses are generally in the vacinity of 30 seconds in length, as opposed to a Solo II course of about 60 seconds in length.

- Throughout the weekend, you run the LEFT and RIGHT course each a total of 6 times for a total of 12 runs for the weekend. You'll run 4 on Saturday morning (2 left, 2 right), 4 on Saturday afternoon, and 4 on Sunday morning.

- The winner of the class is determined by the lowest total time of the driver's best LEFT course time and best RIGHT course time. Theoretically, a driver could run only their last two runs Sunday morning and still win the event.

- Because of the number of runs (6) on each course, class margins tend to be closer together.

- Once the class winners are determined, the top drivers from the event (determined by a formula involving margin of class victory) compete in the "Open Challenge" where drivers from different classes compete head-to-head to determine the winner of the entire event or "Challenge Winner".

- Each driver has a dial-in time from the fastest in their class. The difference in the dial-in's between head-to-head drivers determines when each driver receives their green light to start.
For example: If an A Mod car was positioned against an H Stock MINI Cooper, the MINI might receive as much as a FIVE second lead before the A Mod car could leave the line. The first to the finish wins!

- In the Challenge round, you run against your draw once on each course. If you should redlight on either side, you automatically loose. Your margin from one course is carried over to the other. If you cross the finish line one second slower than your competitor, you must cross the finish line over one second faster on the other side. Cones still count as 2 seconds, so like the redlight, can sometimes seal the loss. Winner moves on to the next round.

- There is an OPEN Challenge, LADIES Challenge, HONDA STREET Challenge, and BONUS Challenge. The HONDA STREET CHALLENGE is for STS, STX, SM, and SM2. The BONUS Challenge competitors are determined by drawing from a hat competitor's names that didn't make the OPEN or LADIES Challenges.

- In the end, Challenge winners need great skill, but also a lot of luck. I won my one and only Challenge by having my last three competitors REDLIGHT against me, handing me the win.

- The Pro Solo events are a point series with points counting in you best 3 of your first 4 entered. To qualify for the PRO FINALE, you must run at least 3 events in the class you will be competing in the PRO FINALE for. Along with that, you must have the necessary amount of points to qualify, determined by how many register for the Finale.

- By finishing the season (3 events + Pro Finale) with the most points, you become the Pro Solo Series Champion for your class. By finishing with the most Challenge points at the end of the year, you become the Pro Solo Challenge Champion, considered the highest honor in Pro Solo.

- Contingency money and tires is more prevelant in Pro Solo with the addition of Challenge contingency for each company as well as the Honda Street Challenge for STS, STX, SM, and SM2

If you have any questions or corrections to what I have written, please post them here or email me at the address below so that I can update the FAQ.

Thanks,
Brian Garfield

ubercooper 01-28-2004 10:54 AM

where do i sign up for this? I did not see it on the scca website?
Ben

BGarfield 01-28-2004 09:19 PM

When you go to the main http://www.scca.org site, look for the "Solo I and Solo II" pull down menu in the middle of the screen.
Go down to Pro Solo and click and that will give you more information and schedule and such.
You're best to find someone locally to walk you through the process, or be there with you the first time.

Brian