North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   SCCA Solo and ProSolo (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/scca-solo-and-prosolo-199/)
-   -   Pro Solo Atlanta Pro Solo (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/scca-solo-and-prosolo/20655-atlanta-pro-solo.html)

BGarfield 01-13-2004 09:02 PM

Any other G or H Stock MINI's going?
I'll be doing Atlanta, Toledo, and Petersburg (if it happens, otherwise, whatever is closest to MD).

Brian Garfield

gowest 01-14-2004 04:54 AM

I am told by VMP, Va. Pro Solo site, that the SCCA will not be there this year. I heard a rumor the Pro was going to be in the D.C. area but I thought you would know about that if anyone would, so I guess it's not true then?

conecarver 01-14-2004 05:30 AM

I will be there in HS (but I guess you know this already Brian) .... Jeff Jacobs and Mark Chilles are registered too (I assume Brenda Ashburn will be there in L1).... So far there is one MINI in GS signed up (Gregory Lipscomb) and an 02 Celica ....My hope is to give Jeff a run for his money and in the process stay within the same time zone as Mark... LOL Although a GS MCS ride would be tempting.

FWD-MX5 01-14-2004 07:18 AM

I will try to fly out for the event. I will be there in a co driving a GStock 02 Civic Si, unless I could find a MINI ride...
Brian I will be in for the DC event on Unce Sam's dime (the Corps is flying me out for a course the week prior). Ed Raymundo is bringing the 94R, but I may talk to David about an MCS ride.

BGarfield 01-14-2004 01:39 PM

I'm still trying to take care of co-driver issues, but I'll be there regardless.

Richard, I do know what's going on, but nothing is solid yet, so I'm not going to discuss what may or may not be true.
Personally, I'd like to see the Pro at Ripken. Nice town, great lot, and great location.

Brian

BEANTIME 01-18-2004 07:14 PM

I'v signed up for Atlanta..being my first Prosolo i'd like some help! I'v ran some auotx last year and did ok...i run in South Carolina and i will have some Hoosier for this year! where's everyone staying?btw...i gave up dragracing to do autox so the tree thing is not to big a deal. thanks

BGarfield 01-18-2004 07:49 PM

Well, the co-driver issues are solved just in time. I'll be registering for the event right after I type this...

My co-driver and I will be staying at a fellow MINI autocrosser's house in Atlanta. We'll be #62 and #162 in the red/white.

As far as the "tree" goes, you'll definitely have a little less pressure. But, the tree simply complicates the thought process before you head out into the vast sea of cones. You'll definitely want to do practice starts, the tree doesn't operate the same as the dragstrip so you'll want to become familiar with that.

What I love about the Pro's especially for Novice drivers, is that there are a lot of runs to familiarize yourself with the courses. Personally, I don't feel you can simply reverse your brain from one side to the other, they're not perfectly mirrored. So, you'll still need to analyze both courses closely.

This year, they're trying out a rule change where you'll run (if you start on the left) Left, Right, Left, Right and be done for the session. It used to be Left, Right, get back in line, Right, Left, then done for the session.
I'm not big on this, since it takes a little time to use a pyrometer and make tire adjustments, but at least you're allowed to do that in pre-staging now. just not at the "line". But, shock adjustments are still not allowed during pre-staging.

Brian

Motoring 01-18-2004 08:49 PM

>>I'm not big on this, since it takes a little time to use a pyrometer and make tire adjustments, but at least you're allowed to do that in pre-staging now. just not at the "line". But, shock adjustments are still not allowed during pre-staging.
>>

Brian, my understanding is you can make adjustments to the car (tire pressures and shock settings) between pairs of runs. You simply can't leave any residue. So, no tire cleaning, or cooling with liquid. This includes ice on intercoolers.

It does require that you have help, because it is unlikely that a single driver could get out of the car and adjust and get back in the car.

BGarfield 01-19-2004 07:21 PM

Gotcha, that's a little better to hear.
I'm not worried about tire cooling, I have a secret (and legal) trick for solving that problem.

I'm actually very excited for Atlanta since I've never run the Cooper S in a Pro.

Brian

VmpyrDavid 02-16-2004 02:12 PM

MINI of Charleston Press Release
The MINI of Charleston team continues to turn heads in the competitive world of the Sports Car Club of America's Solo series. This weekend the SCCA kicked off the 2004 Pro Solo Series with their first event in Atlanta. How could Solo drivers Mark Chiles and Jeff Jacobs top their 1-2 finish at the first SCCA National Tour Solo II opener in Phoenix? The answer is for the duo to hop into Mark's H/Stock MINI Cooper and dominate the competition. Not only did they finish 1-2 again in their class, Mark's class winning time was quicker than the class winning times in 5 of the other 6 stock classes. All this with a 115 horsepower Cooper in what on paper should be the slowest of the 7 stock classes. The cold and rainy weather was a perfect setting for MINI to display it's superior front wheel drive traction. A MINI Cooper S also won the G/Stock class (although not a quickly as Mark or Jeff!). The MINI of Charleston Team has a busy next weekend as the SCCA Solo National Tour moves to the East Coast for their second event of the season. Mark and Jeff will be at that event in Ft. Meyers, Florida and Brad Davis and the race team have their first event in the new Showroom Stock B MINI Cooper S at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, South Carolina.

Congratulations to the Hendrick Motorsports NASCAR teams with Jimmy Johnson finishing 5th at the Daytona 500 and Jeff Gordon finishing 8th. MINI of Charleston MINI Cooper S owner Dale Earnhardt Jr. won the 500. Former NASCAR star Ernie Irvan joined the MINI of Charleston family last week when he took delivery of his new MINI Cooper S.
If you don't wanna see future press releases, just lemme know.

David
-V--V-

BGarfield 02-16-2004 04:52 PM

Press Releases are fine David, but you may want to create a link instead, since the whole release doesn't pertain to the forum title. Or, clip the section that does.

On another note, in defense of "A MINI Cooper S also won the G/Stock class (although not a quickly as Mark or Jeff!)", said driver was on Hoosier slicks since the Hoosier Dirt Stocker rain tires are not available in a legal Cooper S fitment :wink:

Brian

gowest 02-16-2004 05:24 PM

>>On another note, in defense of "A MINI Cooper S also won the G/Stock class (although not a quickly as Mark or Jeff!)", said driver was on Hoosier slicks since the Hoosier Dirt Stocker rain tires are not available in a legal Cooper S fitment :wink:
>>
>>Brian

I guess that covers my questions on what tires you guys were on considering the cold rainy weather. Mark and Jeff were on Hoosier Dirt Stockers and you were one of the AS or RS 303's or 403's. What about Hoosiers new Radial rain tire? Is it available in a 16" or 17" MINI size? Did you even try your Toyo T1's? Under the cold wet conditions I thought they may be better than the non Rain Hoosiers.

BGarfield 02-16-2004 06:22 PM

Hey Richard.
We were on R3S03's, believe it or not...
Carpenter was on Ecsta V700's, Cone was on Dirt Stockers, Foley was on A3S04's, Laughlin was on streets, etc.

Haven't heard anything new about Hoosier's Rain Radial, although I heard someone say that somebody at the event had a set.
I had heard it will be available in most of the Radial sizes, but nothing recently.

The Left course was at the top of the "hill", and the water didn't create a river anywhere on that course EXCEPT the launch (about 5 feet from staging). The Right course had a river through the launch, at the turn around, and had a strong flow coming at you through the uphill slalom. Ian and I actually tested a cone in the river on Sunday to see if it would get dragged away :roll: I ended up third after beating Corey Ridgick in his 2.5RS.
We tried the "Radio" idea for the first time, which I'm sure is how I was able to beat Junior in the first round (he coned, so I drove carefully).

As some have experienced before, the MINI is an incredible rain car. I found that out running the WRX's on the North course last year in the rain. It just transitions as if it's not even wet.

Brian

dpayne1 02-16-2004 08:14 PM

Good Job Brian - way to open the season!

Like Richard I was wondering if you had switched to your Toyo's given the conditions...

I also noticed there were no MCS's in STX - and almost all WRX's

conecarver 02-17-2004 05:01 AM

Glad to see you made it back up north ok Brian.... Others have mentioned that the snow was quite bad sunday night going through the Carolinas........ was it ok by the time you guys went through???

Brian and Ian drove great throughout the event.... and everyone was confused by the speed of the RSO3 tires in the rain... inc me.... LOL I had alot of fun at the event even if my times were not what I was hoping for.... Now that I am used to the Tree and Format next time I will be able to focus alot more on the course!!! :lol:

BGarfield 02-17-2004 07:46 AM

Jason, the drive was easy (weather wise) but we did see lots of snow, especially in northern NC. The worst we drove in was a slightly wet shoulder creeping onto the highway...

I'm sure we would've been faster on Dirt Stockers or Rain Radials, but only when we can GET them :roll:

The biggest disadvantage to this event is that it didn't help to determine our setup for the season (even though I haven't even gotten an alignment yet). Obviously the wet conditions are totally different for tire pressure and alignment.

Brian

VmpyrDavid 02-17-2004 08:48 AM

Laughlin was on streets?? He ususlly runs Hoosiers doesn't he??

David
-V--V-

BGarfield 02-17-2004 08:51 AM

That's correct. I'm guessing that was the choice he made in the rain, not necessarily the worst one either, given the conditions.

Brian

TBDAugs 02-18-2004 06:30 AM

Congrats Brian and thanks for the post!

UtahAugs

MiniAutoXr 02-18-2004 11:11 AM

While we did get a lot of grins out of Chiles beating virtually every stock class with the "slowest" classed car at the event, and particularly our "supercharged sisters" in G-Stock :lol: , this event really was dictated by the equipment you happened to have on hand. We've carried Hoosier Dirt Stockers around for years and never used them once. We had them for the Neon, Miata, Sentra, and now the Minis. But with water and clay streaming across the course virtually all weekend, we decided that it was finally time to try the Dirt Stockers. I guess it was the right choice, and with the way the dirt stockers performed there can be no doubt that Brian and Ian must have been really doing some nice driving to run the times they did in a car on slicks that already has trouble getting power down.

A quick word on the Dirt Stockers for those who may be interested. We ran fairly low tire pressures (street driving levels). The tires really moved the rain well. Virtually no tire spin even in the deeper water. Instead of skating when you turned in, the tires seemed to grab hard about a tenth of a second after you turned in -- so a little delayed reaction. But when they turned they really turned. As far as wear goes, with 2 of us running a Pro and a combined total of 4 rounds in the Challenge, it looked to me like the previously new front Dirt Stockers were 2/3 to 3/4 gone when we took them off, and they were quite hard from the heat cycling. Should have rotated front to back for Sunday and we'd have done better in the Challenge.

Re: the new Hoosier rain tire. Tirerack.com has a photo and short description now available. Might list sizes, but I don't recall.

Jeff Jacobs

FWD-MX5 02-18-2004 12:27 PM

Jeff welcome to NAM. I've heard the new Hoosier rains are not in the required number of sizes. I may have read that a Vette driver was protested and the protest was upheld. I guess we just have to be patient.
Chris

BGarfield 02-18-2004 12:38 PM

TBD Augs (above) apparently has 205/45R16's on order in the Rain Radial, so they are coming and those Celicas have even more to worry about when they get here :evil: :razz:

Brian

TBDAugs 02-18-2004 01:02 PM

Here's the receipt:

"Please refer to your customer number and order number in any future
communications with us regarding this order.

Listed below are the items you ordered and other details of your

QTY SIZE & DESCRIPTION AVAILABILITY PRICE EA.
2 P205/45R-16 Hoosier Radial Wet Left Special Order $131.00
1 Hoosier tire regist card rtl In Stock N/C
1 Hoosier tire care packet In Stock N/C
2 P205/45R-16 Hoosier Radial Wet Right Special Order $131.00
1 Hoosier tire regist card rtl In Stock N/C
1 Hoosier tire care packet In Stock N/C

Shipping Method: CALL WHEN IN
Shipping Out of: Indiana

Order Total: $524.00 "

Now I"m just hoping they get here soon. Someone on the SCCA forum stated they spoke with Hoosier and Hoosier said they will have the required sizes and quantities in time to meet the SCCA rules. I was told I couldn't get the 215 I wanted but that this size would be available. 205/45R-16.

Last email from Alex was last week saying they had not yet been scheduled for production.

RainmanAugs

ed94R 02-19-2004 12:54 AM

Congrat's to all for your fine finishes! Brian, you know something we don't about Hoosier R's???

I am really starting to miss the action!

Ed Raymundo

FWD-MX5 02-19-2004 10:20 AM

>>Congrat's to all for your fine finishes! Brian, you know something we don't about Hoosier R's???
>>
>>I am really starting to miss the action!
>>
>>Ed Raymundo
Buy a ticket to San Diego and tell me when to pick you up for the San Berdo Pro.
Chris