North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   PittStop MINI Club (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/pittstop-mini-club-61/)
-   -   New Tires (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/pittstop-mini-club/185758-new-tires.html)

BooBoo 03-23-2010 05:57 AM

New Tires

I have an 06 S and need to buy new tires. Does anyone have suggestions on what brand of runflats are best? I'd like to spend under $200 per tire. I looked at Bridgestone Potenza, but know nothing about them. All suggestions appreciated. :nod:

fastautoxmini 03-30-2010 02:38 PM

Do the replacement tires have to be run flats?

moreorless 03-30-2010 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by BooBoo (Post 3012288)
I have an 06 S and need to buy new tires. Does anyone have suggestions on what brand of runflats are best? I'd like to spend under $200 per tire. I looked at Bridgestone Potenza, but know nothing about them. All suggestions appreciated. :nod:

I'll be getting these put on mine Thursday for 150 each and that includes mounting, valve stems and balancing.

Mini2Go 03-31-2010 04:30 AM

It can be difficult to make specific recommendations because each person's priorities, driving styles and preferences are different and the options are vast. As for bang-for-the-buck, I find I'm pleased more often than not with Kumho tires. Are they the best? Arguably not. Michelin tends to make some pretty darn good tires, but are they the best? It depends who you ask - but especially not for the budget conscious.

I didn't walk, I RAN away from runflats. For one, both my wife (passenger) and I are happier with the overall ride. For another, the cost-benefit equation just didn't balance well for me. I keep a small repair kit in the back and a AAA card in my pocket. Currently I'm running Fuzion ZRi's (summer) and Pirelli 190 Snow Control's (winter), but I got such a bargain on the "Fuzzies" that I simply couldn't pass them up. ($50 a wheel, mounted!) I've only just put them on the car so I have very little feedback after just 200 mostly highway miles.

I cannot recommend highly enough dedicated winter tires vs one set of all-seasons if you drive your car in the winter. This isn't just about snow or ice - it's largely about cold. You may want to take that into consideration when considering your tire budget. For a fun, great-handling car like the MINI, this can also free you to consider the world of performance summer tires.

My garage looks like a tire shop with 3 sets of winters/summers and 2 sets of track tires - most of them mounted. I can tell you that the real-world, on-pavement difference in rubber compounds and tread patterns, each designed for specific situations, is truly amazing. You don't have to spend gobs of money to get good tires, but you should buy the right tires for the applications you need.

In our PA climate, I suggest that you'll be happier with 2 sets of $100 tires than one set of $200 tires. :thumbsup:

BooBoo 03-31-2010 04:58 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. Yes, I do need runflats, there is no spare on the 06. Peace of mind is more important to me than performance. I do use Blizzack's in the winter. Purchased Kumho's from TireRack and having installed tomorrow, as the deadline is fast approaching. Thanks again folks!

Mini2Go 03-31-2010 05:03 AM

No spare on my '05 MCS either... priorities/perspectives do vary greatly! Good luck with the Kumhos! :)

welshmenwillnotyield 03-31-2010 06:59 AM

The MCS doesn't have a spare. Of course, you could get a spare from an MC and put it in the back, wedged behing the passenger seat, or, fold down the rear seats and put a "spare" there. On the otherhand, a nice Slime kit and perhaps a plug kit offers real peace of mind and ya don't have to worry about your "spare" coming out to get ya in a fender-bender.

mielnicki 03-31-2010 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mini2Go (Post 3018671)
It can be difficult to make specific recommendations because each person's priorities, driving styles and preferences are different and the options are vast.

John, Well said! I haven't had time to draft a response. :nod: