PittStop MINI Club The PittStop MINI Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.pittstopmini.org

Oil change options other than dealership

Old 12-31-2008, 01:25 PM
kellypgh
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change options other than dealership

Happy New Year everyone!

Hoping for some local Pittsburgh area suggestions for getting an oil change prior to the first scheduled one and was looking for possible authorized and/or recommended garages who are capable of doing this.

I have approx 2,000 miles on my 09 MCS and wanted to get the break-in oil changed. I know I could get the dealership to do this but was hoping for a more reasonable alternative.

I've read the numerous threads and know that this is something that I could do myself but don't have the proper equipment/tools... Actually, I'm concerned about not doing something correctly and causing damage.

I am prepared to get the filter and oil, if necessary, but wanted to see if there was anyone locally who has experience with MINI's. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:21 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Personally I'd recommend to learn to do it yourself. It's not that difficult, there's a great thread on here about it, and the tools you need are easy to get. Plus, you can swap out the oil plug with a fumoto valve, and have the world's easiest/quickest oil changes at the drop of a dime. The money you lay down for the fumoto/tools will quickly be made up in the money you save with oil changes, especially if you're going to change more than what the dealer recommends....

You can get the oil filter's from NAPA--the gold Wix filter sold by NAPA is actually cheaper and better constructed than the OEM filter.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:04 AM
bad venge
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use a local quik lube to get mine done $40 for a between interval change ...
I like to do one between the intervals let the dealer do the free ones

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Se...lts.asp?Cat=32

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...with-pics.html

Last edited by bad venge; 01-01-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Club has had a number of "Garage Days" where we have done everything from simple oil changes to performance upgrades. These are very informal groups that gather at a volunteering member's house/garage. It is a great way for you to learn from some folks with experience that help you through the first time. It is also a fun way to spend a few hours with some other MINIacs.

I'd recommend sending an email to the President (@pittstopmini.org) and asking about scheduling a Garage Day.