PhillyMINI Club The PhillyMINI club Forum. Visit our club site at www.phillymini.org

RPM/Manic in person tuning by MarioKart

Old 08-20-2018, 09:33 AM
Gelmobile
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
RPM/Manic in person tuning by MarioKart

Long story short, picked up my N18 JCW about a month ago, drove it with JB+ on, it's ok, but it can be better, so I research and read...a lot and from all accessible info.
I am looking for something that gives me more get up and go in every gear, especially on the low end ( I know torque = engine displacement, but I will take whatever I can
get out of that 1.6L) and reliability. The only tune provided on NAM and other sites with the most reliability and positive reviews are from MarioKart:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ew-thread.html

Like typical yelp or amazon reviews for other products, I look for # of positive reviews, and read through the whole write-ups in depth. I also focus on the negative ones, can't find one.
So, I dig deeper, reached out to several prior local and distant owners had tunes performed by him. All provided extensive positive reviews in great details about the tune and customer
service from beginning to the end. Ok, this is all good, but, my car is a daily driver, I can't mail the ECU to Cali and back from 2-3 days, gotta work and pay bills.

Then I just found out he's gonna be in town on Sep 8th to do tuning in person in Pittown, NJ, an hour and 15 mins from Philly, NYC and about 30 mins from Allentown, PA! Woohoo!
https://www.google.com/maps/place/34+Sky+Manor+Rd,+Pittstown,+NJ+08867/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c40a7c125ac803:0xbc61550480a09 9d0?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjnyejagvzcAhUvrlkKHdIaDJ0Q8gEw AHoECAMQAQ

https://www.phillymini.org/content.aspx?page_id=87&club_id=22021&item_id=8229 37

I am not a friend or paid mouth piece for Mario, but I will be a customer, I will be getting a dp, cold plugs and tune from him, hopefully a happy one, after the tune.
I am just spreading the words in case anyone is thinking about the same without the hassle of mailing ECUs.

Even though I don't live by 0-60, 1/4 mile at a time or go big or go home kinda guy, he also entertains the high octane high output crowd.
Reach out to him in advance, and you will see what I mean!

Old 01-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Velothree
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How do you like your tune after having lived with it for a few months? Did you get RPM or the Manic tune from him. Stage 2?

Reason I ask is I also have a 2013 (35K mi.) but mine's a MCS and I have a Akrapovic DP and Exhaust and Intercooler and now have a CEL and want to get a tune that will get rid of the CEL, but being that this is also my daily driver, I don't want to do anything to affect the reliability. Mostly worried about the clutch and how it'd handle the additional torque. Any feedback appreciated.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:58 PM
Gelmobile
3rd Gear
best bank for the buck performance tune I have ever paid for, highest grin factor/$ ratio easily.
I got RPM S2, DP was on back order right after the tune. It doesn't matter, the thing is a beast, no CEL
nothing. I gently tapped it on 287, GSP, blue route, PA turnpike, it hit triple digits. I have been really restraining
myself on the gas pedal as I have clean record with DMV and not going to push my luck.

As for reliability, no issues whatsoever, no valve cover leaks, no CEL although I do take care of cars with turbo, no overboosting or WOT
until the car is thoroughly warm up or last 5 miles before turning off the car.

I do received the DP, most likely will save it for the countryman as that car def. needs RPM tune + dp as it's a heavier beast w AWD.

The clutch has no issue, slipping or nothing, shifts the same way as I got it almost 6 mons ago, then again it really depends on how you drive it too.
I don't drop the clutch plus doesn't really race anyone unless I wanna pass them on highway and such.

But like everyone said, EVERYONE...seriously, the boost is linear on every gear!
I like my car before the tune, but I truly LOVE it after the mod.

Imho, most drive trains / gaskets have some sort of tolerances and the manufacturer didn't fully explore the potential for the sake of reliability.
I think the RPM tune does push the envelope a little bit, but still, from reviews and feedbacks I heard through multiple people/sources, the modded cars
have been reliable and FUN!!!!

Last edited by Gelmobile; 01-02-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:41 AM
Velothree
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the reply and information. I've been in contact with Mario and will likely pull the trigger on the tune in February. I need to sort through some career issues first. Do you attend any of the Philly club events? Considering joining if I stay in the area.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:57 AM
Gelmobile
3rd Gear
URW! If the event is held on the Jersey side I will try to attend. On another note, a word of caution, once the tune is installed, torque steer is more pronounced, you will have more power in every gear.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:53 AM
Gelmobile
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gelmobile
Long story short, picked up my N18 JCW about a month ago, drove it with JB+ on, it's ok, but it can be better, so I research and read...a lot and from all accessible info.
I am looking for something that gives me more get up and go in every gear, especially on the low end ( I know torque = engine displacement, but I will take whatever I can
get out of that 1.6L) and reliability. The only tune provided on NAM and other sites with the most reliability and positive reviews are from MarioKart:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ew-thread.html

Like typical yelp or amazon reviews for other products, I look for # of positive reviews, and read through the whole write-ups in depth. I also focus on the negative ones, can't find one.
So, I dig deeper, reached out to several prior local and distant owners had tunes performed by him. All provided extensive positive reviews in great details about the tune and customer
service from beginning to the end. Ok, this is all good, but, my car is a daily driver, I can't mail the ECU to Cali and back from 2-3 days, gotta work and pay bills.

Even though I don't live by 0-60, 1/4 mile at a time or go big or go home kinda guy, he also entertains the high octane high output crowd.
Reach out to him in advance, and you will see what I mean!
2.5 yrs and 20K miles later, I am still grinning every time I take the car for a drive. Love the car, love the tune, I am a spirited driver, but don't abuse my cars, no clutch dropping or ramp up the turbo before warmup and 10 mins before turning car off and oil change less than 5K.
No issues with reliability at all!

Sold the 981 boxster, and frankly not missing it much, but will hang on to the JCW clubby as long as I can.