North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/pacific-northwest-25/)
-   -   Another new MINI owner coming to Seattle - O/T, what info can you (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/pacific-northwest/78008-another-new-mini-owner-coming-to-seattle-o-t-what-info-can-you.html)

WannaMini_ 09-01-2006 09:24 AM

Another new MINI owner coming to Seattle - O/T, what info can you

We have just sold our house in Ohio, and we are going to start looking for jobs in Seattle. I am trying to find REAL information on where the best places to live are, and I could only think to post to my fellow MINI owners who already live there.

You know, you read books, and they can make the ghetto sound "diverse and charming." Here's our stats and what we're looking for:

In downtown or close to downtown.
We have a baby, but we're not looking for typical family-friendly areas, but want to avoid ghettos and big time party areas.
We're not too terribly rich, but not poor either.
We're not looking to buy just yet - we want to rent a condo or apartment.

Where should we look? We'd actually like to be in an apartment near Pike Place Market. That sounds like that's the center of it all?

Thanks so much for letting me barge...

P.S. ETA What's the best MINI dealership in Seattle?

Minirox 09-01-2006 09:27 AM

Sign up and Post at www.psmini.org also we have quite a few members that live in the downtown area. That will be able to give the info you are looking for

WannaMini_ 09-01-2006 09:32 AM

Thanks! I'll do it...

Highbid 09-01-2006 09:57 AM

Wanna,
I saw your post about the potholes in OH and was inspired to finally register on NAM and quit Lurking. Searching for that thread I instead found this one. Mike is right about PSMINI being a great group. He is a great guy too and one of the most active MINI fans around. I am born and raised in Seattle and would be happy to spend some time on the telephone with you about my fair city. It is a great city (even though I know live across the bay) and btw, if you lose a wheel to a pothole here the DOT is required to pay for your damages. We have high expectations and of course a mild climate. Depending on what you are looking for I may be able to introduce you to someone who has a job for you.
jj

WannaMini_ 09-01-2006 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Highbid
Wanna,
I saw your post about the potholes in OH and was inspired to finally register on NAM and quit Lurking. jj

Cool! I inspired you to register! If you want the pothole thread, here is a link:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=77804

As for jobs, my field is finance (although I hate it and would love to get into something else), more specifically credit management, and my husband's is mechanical engineering. But he is just a couple years out of college and doesn't have a lot of experience yet. If you have any advice or contacts, I'd be greatly appreciative!!

JDPepper 10-03-2006 10:38 PM

BEWARE the Seattle Rattle!

Potholes aren't so bad here, but do whatever you can to avoid the 5. The surface is horrible and is shaking my new MINI to bits. West Seattle is sort of funky, sort of family friendly, sort of neighborhoody and close to downtown. Parking is ALWAYS an issue in the city.

Good luck and see you around. :thumbsup:

Hu99 10-04-2006 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Highbid (Post 1114070)
if you lose a wheel to a pothole here the DOT is required to pay for your damages.

Now that is what people pay taxes for. Does it apply to visitors too? I'm from Vancouver, BC and come down to Seattle quite a bit. How does one make a claim for pothole damage?

Lancecd 10-04-2006 04:13 PM

Anywhere west of the Cascade range would be my suggestion. But then again, I live in Eastern Washington, so I may be biased!

Alfons D'Auto 04-04-2007 10:51 AM

Hey, WannaMini

I live in Ballard and love the neighborhood. It's only about 10 minutes to downtown, and there are plenty of good restaurants and stuff right here. Anyway, welcome to Seattle.

Al

S Curvz 04-10-2007 09:02 AM

Whoa, you are moving to seattle too? I leave thrusday to go look at apts out there. I start may 21st

minibot 06-13-2007 03:23 PM

There's really only one MINI dealership in the area, it's NWMINI, and it's loosely defined as in Seattle. It's really in Fife, WA about 30 miles south from city center.

As for areas, I live in Fremont, which is east of Ballard (it's another neighborhood), and is another area that's very liveable. Welcome!

S Curvz 06-13-2007 03:31 PM

Its a good dealership too from my experiance. I live close to the dealership so I am lucky.

liafia 06-13-2007 08:03 PM

Lots of great neighborhoods in Seattle. I live South of Seattle, and love the less congested life. Used to live on Queen Anne. That is the Mini-est neighborhood I have ever seen!

DrewKu 06-25-2007 07:19 PM

Hey there!

This is my first NAM post, but i've been reading for a while! I am moving to Seattle (Bellevue) this Friday. I'll be driving 2,800 miles from NY in my Mini and very excited for the trip.

I did an internship in Seattle and found the city be nice (since im a little 'younger' i liked the night life), but found Bellevue/Kirland to be very nice!!

phydeaux 06-25-2007 10:33 PM

Welcome in advance, then, DrewKu! That does sound like a fun little trip there.

Bellevue isn't a bad place to live, especially if you can afford it. ;)

Be sure to check out the local club, too, online at www.psmini.org.

S Curvz 06-26-2007 01:04 PM

Bellevue is great...but like phydeaux said, if you can affort it.

Apex Chick 02-03-2008 05:54 PM

MW to Seattle

My Fiance and I moved here from Missouri about 2 1/2 years ago. I would highly suggest renting before you buy. I would also suggest renting in an area that is close to where you think you are going to find a job for several reasons.

#1) The rain is overrated
#2) The traffic is underrated
#3) There is a bit of a sticker shock moving from the midwest.

We moved from a house on a golf course with 3bed 2bath all hardwood/granite new bathrooms, fully remodeled attached two car garage on 1/2 an acre and spent 2-3 times that on our new home. I have to say that it is more sticker shock at first and the disbelief of the expenses than what you can really afford. Turns out you can afford alot more than you ever thought you could but it is an adjustment from the MW to anywhere near the coasts.

I live in Maple Valley and work in Renton. MV is the small town feel within reason to rafting and skiing and the mountains which is what I wanted. It is a bit of a commute to downtown and we'll probably get a condo down there sooner or later. Check Queen Anne, alot of people move that way and like living there.

J1JPE 03-16-2008 04:33 PM

Easter in Seattle

Hi Guys, J1JPE from MINI2.com in the UK here ...

am coming over to Seattle on Friday to visit my girlfriend and would really appreciate any suggestions of good places to go, to eat, things to do etc :wink:

am picking up a rental car at the airport and she lives north east of the city

Happy Motoring

J1 & Laura