North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/pacific-northwest-25/)
-   -   MINI Club in Alaska? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/pacific-northwest/120259-mini-club-in-alaska.html)

COOL S 11-17-2007 11:49 AM

MINI Club in Alaska?

Hi........I'm a new Mini owner from Anchorage who is looking for fellow Mini owners in Anchorage or Alaska in general. Hopefully we can share info and experiences aount our Minis.

CoolS formerly RichS

AKIndiMini 01-30-2008 12:08 AM

Not to resurrect a thread from the dead or anything, but I'm in Kodiak and thought I'd chime in!

As of the last couple of weeks, there's officially 8 MINIs in Kodiak.

It's good to hear from a fellow Alaskan! :)

COOL S 01-30-2008 08:47 AM

Darren: I'd like to have a local owners club spring up as a source of information sharing and socialization.

AKIndiMini 01-30-2008 09:09 AM

I've been wanting to get together with the owners here in town. It seems that we've only successfully been able to meet during one of our local parades/festivals - Crab Fest.

I'm in Anchorage at least once every few months. Not sure how easy it would be to start an Alaska-wide club, with our state being so large. I'd be willing to meet up with Mini owners in Anchorage the next time I'm up that way - it's always fun to talk shop...

<Mark> 01-30-2008 06:06 PM

I too would like to meet other MINI's (and their owners).

Mark
Anchorage

teachinkids 01-30-2008 07:25 PM

I'm not sure about fellow MINI owners, but if you see my uncle say hi. He lives on Barbara Ave.

mini pooper 10-21-2008 08:25 AM

We are looking into a run to Alaska. Would like to get other clubs involved. We would like to drive up to Port Townsend WA, take the ferry to Victoria BC, drive up through Vancouver Island and take the inland passage to Alaska. Would be interested in any suggestions for roads and routes when we get there. Would like to visit Denali. It would be great to get a bunch of MINIs on a trip like this. We plan this for the summer (Aug 2009?)

I got the CD from the Alaska Ferry and it has plenty of great information. Looks like we can put our MINIs on the ferry. Wondered about getting off the ferry along the way for "day drives".

Please let me know if you can help.

norm@redwoodempiremini.com

Cheers,

Norm (Pooper)

AK.JCW 06-02-2009 02:44 PM

Cool S,

I sent you a pm.. just checking if there are any other mini junkies in anch, so my wife can stop hearing all about my mini addiction.

MrsDarcy 08-27-2009 01:18 PM

Alaska Mini Club

Hi fellow Alaskans! I just got my 2009 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW and am eager to get a club going up here. I am located in Eagle River so please send me a message if you are interested! Although I have no clue on how to start a club...it sounds like fun.

I would love to also hear about any winter driving experiances or tips. I am going from a Hummer H3 to a Mini Cooper...so my winter driving is gonna have to adapt!

Also, if any of you have suggestions on what snow tires to use--so far I've heard Blizzaks are the best--it would be much appriciated!

-Cassie

AKIndiMini 08-27-2009 02:15 PM

Hi Cassie! Welcome to NAM!

It's awesome to hear of yet another MINI making its way over to Alaska. :thumbsup: I'd be interested in starting a club with everyone on the mainland...but I'm on Kodiak so logistics would be a nightmare. (There's 10 MINIs in Kodiak, btw)

As for winter driving - if you get a set of dedicated winter tires, you'll find that these MINIs handle quite well on the ice and snow you'd typically find on the streets. I was quite surprised myself, and I ended up parking my winter beater ('94 Jeep Cherokee) most of the winter because of how well the MINI did.

Try to fit the narrowest tire you can find - you may have to downsize to a smaller rim (15 or 16") to do so. Keep in mind that you'll want to stick with a tire that's roughly the same height so that your speedometer won't be affected. With a R56 JCW, you may not be able to fit a wheel smaller than 16". Alex from Tire Rack (he's on this forum) should be able to help you select a good winter tire/wheel setup.

I was able to sneak by with 15" wheels on mine (non-JCW brakes) and Pirelli Winter Carving 185/65R15 studded tires. I purchased the tires/wheels from Tire Rack. I think I may have pics in my gallery (or the links in my signature).

Because MINIs are so low to the ground, I wouldn't recommend driving one in deep snow - you'll end up busting up the front bumper and related pieces like I did my first winter. :sad: I usually reserve the deep snow days for my Jeep.

AK.JCW 08-27-2009 04:46 PM

Welcome aboard Cassie! and congratulations on your mini!

I run Blizzaks on some 16" custom rims for winter driving, but you will really love your cooper in the winter. They handle shockingly well on snow and ice for me.

Post a pic of your new baby!!! Is it Red with a Black top by the way?

I'd be happy to assist with a club, but I don't have a clue how to set one up either. We should work on that..
-Chris

AK.JCW 08-27-2009 04:49 PM

Also you might want to double check what 16" rim will fit on those JCW brake calipers... Stop at American Tire off old seward and talk to Anthony, wait until they have the buy 3 get one free sale. He helped setup mine.

MrsDarcy 02-06-2010 12:03 PM

Ended up installing the Michelin Xice 2 in 205/50R17 purchased at Costco for $560, including changeover. They fit well and are performing outstanding. Makes the ride a bit softer too… I know they’re not the run-flats but they were way more affordable and beat out the Blizzacks this year, per tirerack.com. I’ve yet to get a flat tire kit…which I’m sure is going to bite me in the arse sooner or later.

I have to say, just about everyone gave me a hard time about getting a Mini Cooper in Alaska, but I've pretty much told everyone to stuff-it 'cause she gets around really really well. I've not run into any problems yet... I even go skiing at Alyeska on a regular basis. Of course when people see my Mini with skis strapped to the rack, the word oxymoron seems to come to mind.

I would still like to get everyone together in AK to start some kind of club that meets on a quarterly basis. Has anyone up here participated in any rallies with their Minis? I would be interested in leasing an empty parking lot for a day, setting up some cones, and giving our Mini’s some well deserved rally action! :thumbsup:

JustCarolynn 06-04-2010 11:11 PM

I would love to meet up with other Mini owners in Alaska. I live in the Valley but do nothing all day so I can pretty much go any where I need too, to meet up. :-) Would love to see a Mini Rally in the near future. I missed the last one. :-(

AK.JCW 06-05-2010 12:25 AM

Well JustCarolynn... get your Mini prepared!! Next Saturday the 12th we are taking a drive to all places "Cooper Landing" hahaha It will be a lot of fun.

Send MrsDarcy your contact information and we will get you an email with the location we are going to meet up at. I think there will be about 6-8 (maybe more) to get our picture at the cooper landing sign.

JustCarolynn 06-05-2010 12:33 AM

Thanks. I sent her a message earlier. I hope she gets it. That would be so awesome!

AK.JCW 06-05-2010 12:35 AM

Don't worry she will get you in the loop. She's got some "real life" stuff to deal with, so that's keeping her busy.

JustCarolynn 06-05-2010 12:37 AM

A reply to your winter driving posts.. I drove mine this winter and lived down the side of the mountain. I only got stuck once and had to back up my hill. I have normal tires on my car and it did great. I felt safer in it then I did the suv. The only problems I had were the ruts on the way to Anchorage. They sure like to toss them babies around. This coming winter I will get studded tires. I am sure that will make a big difference.
The only other problem I have had with the car is the CV joint. I have lost it twice now on the right side in just a 2 week period. Its all fixed now and ready to roll.
As far as the service goes I am highly disappointed in BMW. Not only did the mechanics leave grease prints on the inside of my car but also all over the 800 dollar speaker system I put into the back of it.

AKIndiMini 06-05-2010 01:47 AM

Wish I could make it there for the Cooper Landing run. I guess I'll have to leave it up to my sister to try and make it w/ her '06 MCS...

JGBRC 08-04-2010 08:54 AM

Gravel Highway driving?

Hi Everyone,

Any expereince or thoughts about driving a Mini on ravel highways like goinf to Deadhorse, or the Dempster Highway in Yukon? Crazy idea? Overblown?

Thanks!

Jason

JGBRC 08-04-2010 08:55 AM

Note to self: probably should review messages before submitting them!

Edited version of pervious post:

Hi Everyone,

Any expereince or thoughts about driving a Mini on gravel highways like going to Deadhorse, or the Dempster Highway in Yukon? Crazy idea? Overblown?

Thanks!

Jason

AKIndiMini 08-04-2010 09:23 AM

I drove up to Deadhorse about 6 years ago in a pickup I had in college. It was a really cool trip, but I don't think I'd want to subject my MINI to those roads.

That's a trip I'd love to do on my motorcycle. :lol:

JGBRC 08-04-2010 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by AKIndiMini (Post 3104664)
I drove up to Deadhorse about 6 years ago in a pickup I had in college. It was a really cool trip, but I don't think I'd want to subject my MINI to those roads.

That's a trip I'd love to do on my motorcycle. :lol:

Thanks Darren for your quick reply! Was the problem the gravel being kicked up by trucks? holes? something else?

AKIndiMini 08-04-2010 10:20 AM

The road surface isn't that smooth - there were potholes in some areas that nearly swallowed my 4x4 pickup, and yes...plenty of gravel. I found it best to pull over and stop whenever a truck was coming. Sometimes the truckers would extend the courtesy and slow down when they went past. If anything, that also lessened the blow of the gravel spray of trucks that did not slow down.

Rock chips, flat tires, and cracked windshields are nearly inevitable on that road. I lucked out - no flat tires, only a minor ding on my windshield, and just a 'little' bit of sand blasting on my truck's paint.

That's stuff I would tolerate on my daily driver 4x4, but certainly not my MINI.

Remember that this was based on my last trip 6 years ago. For all I know, the road could be completely different (paved?) now.

mankypurple 11-18-2010 11:22 AM

wow. didnt know there were so many mini's in ole alaska. if anyone puts a club together closer to fairbanks so i can actively be involved more often that would be great. and anyone farther out doing a road trip or rally or anything, let me know far in advance when it is so i can plan accordingly. also, anyone know a good reliable place to get some work done? i got a few leaks. :(