The born in the '40s and '50s thread - Page 57 - North American Motoring

Off-Topic Anything un-related to the new MINI. Before reading or posting to this forum be aware that discussion may become heated. You must abide by the site Posting Guidelines when making use of this forum.

The born in the '40s and '50s thread

Old 02-14-2018, 05:43 AM
1st Gear

1958 here. 1st car a VW bug, which I promptly ruined by turning it in to a pseudo dune buggy - cut the fenders, painted a hideous light blue, etc.

I hire mostly college kids, they seem infatuated with the '60s - I tell them they can have them, I'd just as soon forget them.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:54 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetsvette View Post

I bet you have a very old man in mind...you are in for a shock!

*Are you* *ready ?????*

This man would be 70 years old today. 70 years ago was 1947.
Twenty years younger than my grandfather if he was still alive. I was talking about this with some of my students (15-18 years old) recently. The exponential advancement in technology in the last 100 years is astounding and today we take much of it for granted. They found it really interesting to think about the primitive beginnings of their favored technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluffmud View Post
I hire mostly college kids, they seem infatuated with the '60s - I tell them they can have them, I'd just as soon forget them.
Forget the 60s...the 40s and 50s is where it was at.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:16 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek86 View Post
Twenty years younger than my grandfather if he was still alive. I was talking about this with some of my students (15-18 years old) recently. The exponential advancement in technology in the last 100 years is astounding and today we take much of it for granted. They found it really interesting to think about the primitive beginnings of their favored technology.

Forget the 60s...the 40s and 50s is where it was at.
I tell them about rotary phones, typewriters, and only 3 TV channels you had to get out of your chair to change - they look at me as if I had just arrived from Planet Curmudgeon . . .
Old 02-14-2018, 06:28 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
I tell them about rotary phones, typewriters, and only 3 TV channels you had to get out of your chair to change - they look at me as if I had just arrived from Planet Curmudgeon . . .
You're hiring the wrong people.

I had a rotary phone growing up and I'm not that old. I don't think I ever did any school work with a typewriter but I remember handwriting assignments prior to having a computer.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:42 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
You're hiring the wrong people.

I had a rotary phone growing up and I'm not that old. I don't think I ever did any school work with a typewriter but I remember handwriting assignments prior to having a computer.
Hahaha. They are actually great kids, have somewhat restored my faith in the younger generation - very yes sir/yes maam types, work 30+ hours a week with me and keep a full load in college.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Hahaha. They are actually great kids, have somewhat restored my faith in the younger generation - very yes sir/yes maam types, work 30+ hours a week with me and keep a full load in college.
I'm sure, I was just being facetious. Most young people are pretty well rounded, just like anything else the popular views of young people are the outliers.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:38 AM
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter

I was going to read this whole thread, but don't know if I have enough time in life to do it.

I'm a 1950 born child. In fact my mother told my wife she blamed me for starting the Korean War.

But after reading some of this thread, I was happy to see I'm not the only one wondering about todays kids:

My youngest grandson says he doesn't understand how we told time with all those arms swinging around that thing on my wrist. He pushes his watch face and it tells him the time. So he's wondering why I'm making him tell time by my watch instead. (wait until he hits military time)

And he having a hard time understand why everyone didn't have a cell phone when I was a child. ..... I also feel he's having a problem understanding that I was a child at one time.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnOldBiker For This Useful Post:
vetsvette (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:47 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
But after reading some of this thread, I was happy to see I'm not the only one wondering about todays kids:

My youngest grandson says he doesn't understand how we told time with all those arms swinging around that thing on my wrist. He pushes his watch face and it tells him the time. So he's wondering why I'm making him tell time by my watch instead. (wait until he hits military time)

And he having a hard time understand why everyone didn't have a cell phone when I was a child. ..... I also feel he's having a problem understanding that I was a child at one time.
If your grandson is under 10 years old, he's fine. If he's 20, you've got a serious problem.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:13 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
I also feel he's having a problem understanding that I was a child at one time.
Hahahaha. I have shown them pictures of me as a kid, in college, the Air Force, etc. - I think they still believe I was hatched at 35 with a receding hairline.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:19 AM

That grandson is 6.

And when they asked, I showed them pictures when I was 5 with my mother, 19 in Vietnam, 22 when I was at a Harley rally ... and he said it isn'tt me, these people were to young to be me. (Damn rugrat .....)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:42 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Hahahaha. I have shown them pictures of me as a kid, in college, the Air Force, etc. - I think they still believe I was hatched at 35 with a receding hairline.
My students do not recognize me as a person. They act surprised when I tell them I have things to do that don't involve school. It's an interesting dynamic.

Quote:
That grandson is 6.

And when they asked, I showed them pictures when I was 5 with my mother, 19 in Vietnam, 22 when I was at a Harley rally ... and he said it isn'tt me, these people were to young to be me. (Damn rugrat .....)
That's pretty cute, to him you're just the old man you are now. He'll figure it out one day and hopefully will come to value your experiences in a time he was not able to experience himself.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Hmmmm, was this brought up because Vetsvette has a much older friend that is approaching 70, or, that Vetsvette is . . . . . . .

????????????
Old 02-14-2018, 09:52 AM
6th Gear

Tell your Grandkids that some guy used to deliver a bottle of milk in a glass jar and leave it on your front porch in a metal box. That will freak them out.

Only problem I have with youngsters today is the constant staring at the phone! It is handy but shouldn't be all life consuming, especially when driving.

btw - instant coffee was around b4 1940's. Frozen food although not widely available was also earlier.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 AM

Here's a good one ... as a kid we had a Philco TV and "I" was the remote controller !
Old 02-14-2018, 10:19 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
My students do not recognize me as a person. They act surprised when I tell them I have things to do that don't involve school. It's an interesting dynamic.
I feel your pain - my first retirement job was teaching - kids were great, administration responsive as a bag of hammers; I lasted 3 years, had to give it up.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher View Post
Frozen food although not widely available was also earlier.
I was in the second grade when we upgraded from an icebox to a Kelvinator. If you killed a hog or steer you took it into town to the Meat Locker which was just a big walk in freezer that people rented space in. Everything wrapped in white "freezer paper". Can you say freezer burn boys and girls? The building houses an optometrist now.
When we raised chickens for a couple of years Dad bought a chest freezer. I think I was 8 or 9 at the time. That thing could have held a good half dozen dead bodies. It was huge! Mom scrapped it after ~50 years. It was still working, but there was no one young/nimble enough around the house to climb out of the thing if you reached to far and fell in. And it did not have a safety latch.

Last edited by vetsvette; 02-14-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

Old 02-14-2018, 04:29 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
I feel your pain - my first retirement job was teaching - kids were great, administration responsive as a bag of hammers; I lasted 3 years, had to give it up.
You would *love* what is going on now in schools...

I don't take my student's outlooks personally, it's just not on their radar that I exist as a person outside the classroom. Like I said, it's an interesting dynamic.

I'm working on finding space to haul an old motorcycle into school as a "reward" project for some of my students. I think they would really enjoy that as an alternative to anything they've experienced and would get them away from computer screens for a little while. They are always asking about my bike and car projects, I'd like to bring it to them. Could teach them some practical skills in the meantime but I will probably have a fight on my hands from admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher View Post
Only problem I have with youngsters today is the constant staring at the phone! It is handy but shouldn't be all life consuming, especially when driving.
To be fair it's not just the youngsters, it is just more prevalent in the age group. I know plenty of people in their 40s, 50s, and 60s who have addiction issues with technology.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:16 AM
4th Gear

Great words.