Go Back  North American Motoring > Off Topic > Off-Topic
Sad, sad news: Richard Burns, FIA World Rally Champion dead at age 34 >

Sad, sad news: Richard Burns, FIA World Rally Champion dead at age 34

Off-Topic Anything un-related to the new MINI. Before reading or posting to this forum be aware that discussion may become heated. You must abide by the site Posting Guidelines when making use of this forum.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Moskito
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RICHARD BURNS
It is with very great sadness that we must announce the death of Richard Burns, the 2001 FIA World Rally Champion. Burns, who was diagnosed with an astrocytoma, a form of brain tumour, in November 2003 passed away last night Friday 25th November peacefully. His partner Zoe, family and close friends were at his bedside.
From the outset Richard knew that the odds were heavily against him and yet he fought his illness with bravery and good humour. Having undergone both chemotherapy and radiotherapy he was able to leave hospital in summer 2004. For a while his health showed signs of improvement but then after six months it once again began to decline. Determined not to give up, he opted for surgery earlier this year. This alleviated some of the symptoms of his illness and enabled him to remain active. At Castle Combe in August he attended a parade of the rally cars that he drove throughout his career and was touched by the warmth of the reception he received. However there was to be no miracle and in recent days he lapsed into a coma.
The media, friends and fans are asked to respect the family’s privacy at this time. There will be a private funeral and instead of flowers the family would ask that donations be sent to Cancer Research. Anyone who would like to send messages should address them to the memorials pages on this website. www.richard-burns.co.uk/memorials

Richard Burns, Age: 34
Born: Reading, Berkshire – 17 January 1971

Very sad indeed,

Herbert

Old 11-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
It was sad when he had to drop out of the WRC a couple of years ago. Now it's doubly sad. Here's more on him from Crash.net. There are several more articles about him including some input from the likes of Colin McRae & David Lapworth on the main WRC page. That's two tough loses in one year.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Tit
5th Gear

Old 11-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Risu
6th Gear

Old 11-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
This came as a shock to me. I knew he was gavely ill, but really thought he'd beat it. Sadly he's gone now, but his family, friends & fans will always have him in our hearts. You will always be a hero Richard, RIP.

http://www.richard-burns.co.uk/

Chuck

Old 11-30-2005, 05:05 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Sad indeed, my condolences to his family. Burns was one hell of a racer, I remember him from during the years I lived in Europe. He will be missed.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:16 PM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
very sad, came as a shock to me as well. Funny how that goes, I recently wondered how he was doing, it had gotten really quiet... now we know why...

Old 11-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Vanwall
4th Gear
Very Sad. One helluva a driver, and always gave great interviews. A great loss to rallying.

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

Old 11-30-2005, 07:12 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
big talent

Old 12-01-2005, 05:27 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sure hope he didn't suffer. Some of you may know, I'm heading for medicine... and I quite love neurosurgery, actually. BUT, it's a really tough and sad field, because things up there go crazy so quickly, and we're just not there, treatment-wise, yet. Prevention is the best course- althought, to be honest, some of these tumors double in size in weeks, not months or years like many other tumors.

If you EVER feel anything different happening [pain, strange changes in behaviors, vision/hearing issues, bad headaches, vomiting] and you've never felt it before, please see a doctor ASAP. I tell all of my friends, I'll tell y'all too. It's better to be careful. Hope you all are well!