Purchasing parts from Form member - North American Motoring

Go Back  North American Motoring > Off Topic > Off-Topic
Purchasing parts from Form member >

Purchasing parts from Form member

Off-Topic Anything un-related to the new MINI. Before reading or posting to this forum be aware that discussion may become heated. You must abide by the site Posting Guidelines when making use of this forum.

Purchasing parts from Form member

Old 02-11-2019, 05:38 PM
5310mini
Neutral
Question Purchasing parts from Form member

Hi:
I just got my Mini and wanted to purchases some performance parts from another Mini owner that has advertised them on this site. He wants payment up front, which I can't blame him, but with all the scams that I hear about, I am having a hard time making the deal. How do others feel about this? Are there any other ways to make it a win-win transaction with everyone happy. He wants me to use Paypal and send it as a gift. Doing a gift transaction doesn't provide me with any recourse if something goes wrong. How can we both be protected?

Thanks
5310Mini

Old 02-11-2019, 06:03 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
6th Gear
Doing it as gift is a mistake. Tell him you will add the extra percentage if needed so it is a regular transaction. How long has this person been a member? Do they have feedback on past sales or references? Someone who has been on here for years and posts a lot is less likely to be scamming you.

I've done several buys/sells on NAM without issue, but passed on a few when people made an issue of little things and small dollar amount differences.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 PM
5310mini
Neutral
Moocher:
Thanks for the quick reply.

He joined Oct 2016 and posted: 25 times. Thanked once.

ON THE FENCE on what to do.

5310Mini

Old 02-11-2019, 07:29 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
You can also post in the thread where he is selling and ask for references as someone may be able to vouch for them?

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-11-2019, 10:13 PM
5310mini
Neutral
Great Idea.
Can anyone vouch for bimmadave? Possibly the person that purchased his [color=left=#000000]Genuine MINI blow-off valve with Alta spring installed. I'm interested in purchasing some of his other parts but concerned about making full payment before receipt.

5310Mini[/color]

Old 02-11-2019, 10:36 PM
vetsvette
Don't have any experience with that member, but I modified my R56 almost exclusively with parts I bought from the classified section. I lost track of the number of items I bought and sold on there and never had a problem. It's pretty standard to pay up front for the parts. I always did and required the same when selling parts. I would recommend paying with PayPal "Goods and Services" rather than as a gift even if you have to add 3 or 4% to the price to cover fees. That way you have recourse if anything happens with the deal. I only remember a couple of members complaining about be ripped off in all the time I've been using the classifieds. I have made purchases from long time members and also a few times that someone would join the forum just to sell some parts. I admit I held my breath on a couple deals that I made with people with post counts in single digits, but they always came through. Make sure you save all records of your transaction. Emails, PMs, tracking numbers, PayPal info, etc. As always YMMV

Old 02-12-2019, 11:08 AM
MrGrumpy
5th Gear
Like the others above have said, it’s not really that bad. I have purchased several items from members here and never had an issue whatsoever. Just let the person know you would feel better doing it as a purchase thru PayPal and pay the extra percentage.
Good luck

Old 02-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Aabaco_R53
1st Gear
As stated above. Do not do it as a gift. Just send the extra percentage along with it so you have recourse. I buy and sell on multiple forums and have for many years. Most of these guys are great. I just sold a set of brakes for my wife’s fiat on another forum and used PayPal. They track with tracking numbers and everything and you both will be protected I’ve used cashapp for local buyers before without issue too but won’t ship with that

Old 02-12-2019, 11:59 AM
lotter1
3rd Gear
I too have purchased items from members here, I will never forget the first time. I asked a lot of questions and asked if I am getting scammed, sure the answer would be the same either way. I buy here and on 2 other forums a lot. Sometimes I get invoices and other times we do it friend and family. If you are concerned, definitely pay the extra for the added protection.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:15 PM
rcmini27
1st Gear
I have yet to buy anything on the MINI forum but I have dealt in other forums and it has always worked out. I sold a fuel tank (SR500) on that forum and the buyer sent the money right after I agreed to the price. I made sure to have it packaged and shipped that Monday morning! I have also heard great things about the toy train people!