Go Back  North American Motoring > Off Topic > Off-Topic
Quality, affordable tools >

Quality, affordable tools

Off-Topic Anything un-related to the new MINI. Before reading or posting to this forum be aware that discussion may become heated. You must abide by the site Posting Guidelines when making use of this forum.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:23 PM
rhenry01
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In working on the MINI I found that I was digging through my interchangeable screwdriver bit box to find Torx bits for fasteners. This also necessitated changing from my battery powered impact driver to my battery powered drill. I needed a Torx set for 1/4" and 3/8" drive so I could just change them out like a socket. I found a set I like from OEM Tools (the brand.) Today at the Pull-A-Part I detonated another Craftsman 3/8" drive ratchet, probably the third Craftsman ratchet in the last year I have destroyed. I decided to run to my local cheap tool place "We Sell Tools" and pick up an OEM Tools brand 3/8 ratchet along with the Torx bit set I have been wanting. The ratchet will join my "Junkyard Toolbox" which is a set of tools that live in a toolbox that goes with me on those fun trips to the yard and are the tools I loan out.

The OEM 3/8 drive long reach flex head ratchet isn't anything special but I have had good luck with all the other OEM Tool brand tools I have. I don't want to spend a fortune for tools that I know I might loose and have no compunction about using as a hammer if the need arises. I do want them to be fairly reliable.I paid about $20 for the OEM ratchet and that isn't bad but there are others out there at the same price point and for just $8 or $10 more I can get something with some extra features like quick release or greater number of teeth for a smaller swing. I don't know if it is me but I have destroyed almost every high tooth count ratchet I own (Kobalt, Craftsman) except for my GearWrench ratchets (and I'm not taking those or my Snap-On's to the junkyard.)

I'm not a strong guy so I know I'm not putting 500 ft-lbs on the things, hell, the first thing I look for at the junkyard is a wheelbarrow to haul my tools around because they make my arms tired. So, are there any inexpensive hand tools (especially ratchets) out there that can withstand a fair amount of abuse without falling to pieces? I'm not talking bottom of the barrel (harbor freight, although if they have gotten better over the years I'd give them a try) or no-name crap. Just good honest tools.