End of World as I know it - North American Motoring


Off-Topic Anything un-related to the new MINI. Before reading or posting to this forum be aware that discussion may become heated. You must abide by the site Posting Guidelines when making use of this forum.

End of World as I know it

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-05-2017, 09:11 AM
r53coop r53coop is online now
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Posts: 2,584
Thanked 192 Times in 183 Posts
End of World as I know it

OK, so I live in North Carolina that some may know is the basic home of NASCAR. Some others may also be aware that Dale Earnhardt Jr. retired from racing NASCAR this year. Junior, as he known by most in the racing world, never won any NASCAR championships but did win Daytona twice. He was the most popular NASCAR racer for more times than I can count. Never was a big Earnhardt fan but did respect the man on how he handled the fame he received after his father was killed. He did have MINI, said it was one the most fun cars he ever drove, but sold the car as he did not want his friends that drove big 4-bys see him driving the car. That is big mark about his manhood as most on this here forum understand completely what a great handling car the MINI is.

Well my beef, and had I known this was going to happen perhaps I would have rooted for him more, is that my local grocery store is no longer carrying Dale Jr. Hot Fries. These hot fries, a combination of both potato and corn were the best hot fries a person could by. Not flaming five alarm fire hot but still hot enough to know you had them.

The world will just never be the same for me. I got over the bad times when Ortega stopped making their Chipotlle Taco Sauce but just do not know how I am going to weather this blow.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r53coop For This Useful Post:
MiniTigger (12-07-2017)
  #2  
Old 12-05-2017, 09:55 AM
vetsvette's Avatar
vetsvette vetsvette is online now
Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South Central Virginia
Posts: 2,491
Thanked 90 Times in 71 Posts
Sorry for your troubles.

Last edited by r53coop; 12-05-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Derek86 Derek86 is online now
5th Gear
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Living in an Amish Paradise
Posts: 637
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r53coop View Post
OK, so I live in North Carolina that some may know is the basic home of NASCAR.
My grandfather lives within 5-10 miles of the shops of Kyle Busch, JR, Petty, and Penske. Hit Lancaster BBQ (I live in Lancaster, PA, I enjoyed that) and the Memory Lane Museum. I did the rounds before we went to The Dragon last year. Beautiful area around Mooresville and Salisbury, I'd move there for sure.

Have you tried Andy's Hot Fries?

Andy Capp's Hot Fries Andy Capp's Hot Fries


I love Mello Yello and Cheerwine. You used to not be able to get either north of the Mason-Dixon. Now I can commonly find Mello Yello but Cheerwine is still hit or miss. I haul a couple cases home with me whenever I'm down south in a car.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2017, 11:42 AM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 23,591
Thanked 102 Times in 101 Posts
Andy caps are good but are pretty hot. Dont know if they will match up but worth a try.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2017, 03:55 PM
r53coop r53coop is online now
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Posts: 2,584
Thanked 192 Times in 183 Posts
I have had Andy's but IMO are not as good as Dale Jrs. Andy's is owned by Conagra where I think Dale Jrs are by a smaller company.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2017, 09:40 AM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 23,591
Thanked 102 Times in 101 Posts
Yea, never had the Dale Jr. ones. Andy capp leaves a hot taste in your mouth afterward and you can find them at any gas station around here. Some of the big truck stops have different size bags, most have the small bags.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2017, 10:19 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher's Avatar
Minnie.the.Moocher Minnie.the.Moocher is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth PNW
Posts: 3,113
Thanked 88 Times in 83 Posts
This will probably add a week or so to your lifetime. Never had them but just looking at the ingredients was enlightening. My kids would tell me, yeah we know whats in them but they taste great!

ENRICHED CORNMEAL (CORN MEAL NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE CORNSTARCH, TRICALCIUM PHOSHPATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN AND FOLIC ACID), DEHYDRATED POTATOES, SUNFLOWER AND/OR CORN OIL, SALT, 2% OR LESS OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING: WHEY, CHEESE (CULTURED MILK, SALT, ANZYMES), DEXTROSE, MALTODEXTRIN, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, BUTTERMILK, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, ONION AND GARLIC POWDER, SPICES, CITRIC ACID, CHILI PEPPER POWDERS (INCLUDING HABANERO AND JALAPENO), ARTIFICIAL COLORS (RED 40 LAKE, YELLOW 6 LAKE, YELLOW 6, YELLOW 5), PARSLEY, EXTRACTIVES, EXTRACTIVES OF CAPSICUM, AUTOLYZED YEAST, TORULA YEAST, YEAST EXTRACT, CORN FLOUR, REDUCED LACTOSE WHEY, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ACETATE, ACETIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, CITRIC ACID, DISODIUM INOSINATE AND DISODIUM GUANYLATE.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2017, 10:29 AM
vetsvette's Avatar
vetsvette vetsvette is online now
Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South Central Virginia
Posts: 2,491
Thanked 90 Times in 71 Posts
Never, EVER, read the the ingredients of something that you like. That would have deprived me of vienna sausages, potted meat, hot dogs, bologna, etc. I mean, how can you make "mechanically separated chicken" sound appetizing?
You don't read food, you eat it, unless you find you don't like it. Then, you can read the ingredients and be able to say... "look at this crap! That's why it sucks"!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Derek86 Derek86 is online now
5th Gear
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Living in an Amish Paradise
Posts: 637
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Yea, never had the Dale Jr. ones. Andy Capp leaves a hot taste in your mouth afterward and you can find them at any gas station around here. Some of the big truck stops have different size bags, most have the small bags.
I've never had the hot fries, but the Andy Capp's cheddar fries are pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher View Post
This will probably add a week or so to your lifetime. Never had them but just looking at the ingredients was enlightening. My kids would tell me, yeah we know whats in them but they taste great!

ENRICHED CORNMEAL (CORN MEAL NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE CORNSTARCH, TRICALCIUM PHOSHPATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN AND FOLIC ACID), DEHYDRATED POTATOES, SUNFLOWER AND/OR CORN OIL, SALT, 2% OR LESS OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING: WHEY, CHEESE (CULTURED MILK, SALT, ANZYMES), DEXTROSE, MALTODEXTRIN, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, BUTTERMILK, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, ONION AND GARLIC POWDER, SPICES, CITRIC ACID, CHILI PEPPER POWDERS (INCLUDING HABANERO AND JALAPENO), ARTIFICIAL COLORS (RED 40 LAKE, YELLOW 6 LAKE, YELLOW 6, YELLOW 5), PARSLEY, EXTRACTIVES, EXTRACTIVES OF CAPSICUM, AUTOLYZED YEAST, TORULA YEAST, YEAST EXTRACT, CORN FLOUR, REDUCED LACTOSE WHEY, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ACETATE, ACETIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, CITRIC ACID, DISODIUM INOSINATE AND DISODIUM GUANYLATE.
Sounds delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetsvette View Post
Never, EVER, read the the ingredients of something that you like. That would have deprived me of vienna sausages, potted meat, hot dogs, bologna, etc. I mean, how can you make "mechanically separated chicken" sound appetizing?
You don't read food, you eat it, unless you find you don't like it. Then, you can read the ingredients and be able to say... "look at this crap! That's why it sucks"!
Scrapple, Pork Roll, Sausage of any kind. All delicious. All terrible for you. Not to mention cigars, alcohol, etc.

I'm an adult, I'll make the decisions, everything in moderation.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2017, 05:54 AM
r53coop r53coop is online now
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Posts: 2,584
Thanked 192 Times in 183 Posts
When the time comes, but only if I still possess my mind and an ability to get around, I will kick myself in my *** for eating the foods I enjoy and wasting a week. My father had no idea where he was his last year and half and many times did not recognize his own children.

If I am still around here in 20 years and if NAM still exists, I will bring this thread back up. Until that time, come back Dale, I miss you (well not you but your hot fries)!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-07-2017, 06:05 AM
Derek86 Derek86 is online now
5th Gear
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Living in an Amish Paradise
Posts: 637
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r53coop View Post
When the time comes, but only if I still possess my mind and an ability to get around, I will kick myself in my *** for eating the foods I enjoy and wasting a week. My father had no idea where he was his last year and half and many times did not recognize his own children.
Our generations are seeing the downside to our advanced medical technology prolonging physical life. It isn't pretty and it's extremely costly.

I'd rather get 80 good years than 90 and not know who I am for the last 10 years.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-07-2017, 10:12 AM
r53coop r53coop is online now
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Posts: 2,584
Thanked 192 Times in 183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek86 View Post
Our generations are seeing the downside to our advanced medical technology prolonging physical life. It isn't pretty and it's extremely costly.

I'd rather get 80 good years than 90 and not know who I am for the last 10 years.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:04 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher's Avatar
Minnie.the.Moocher Minnie.the.Moocher is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth PNW
Posts: 3,113
Thanked 88 Times in 83 Posts
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Derek86 Derek86 is online now
5th Gear
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Living in an Amish Paradise
Posts: 637
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Life is short, ride motorcycles!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher's Avatar
Minnie.the.Moocher Minnie.the.Moocher is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth PNW
Posts: 3,113
Thanked 88 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek86 View Post
Life is short, ride motorcycles!
Did that, almost made life even shorter. Road conditions and car drivers make motorcycles on road a less than safe option I'm afraid.

1. Unseen sand
2. Grease spilled from restaurant collection truck
3. Ice
4. Moist metal grates, knee cutters! Finally did me in.
5. Cars not seeing you or intentionally taking your space and saying F you.

I did it all and survived - don't miss it anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-07-2017, 04:08 PM
r53coop r53coop is online now
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Posts: 2,584
Thanked 192 Times in 183 Posts
I knew it, if you look real close when he spins around there is a package of Dale Jr. Hot Fries in his back pocket.

So much for all you naysayers. The fries did not do him in, rather all the safety pins holding his head on must have rusted out.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:32 AM.


North American Motoring is an independently operated web site supporting MINI owners and enthusiastsworldwide. As such it has no official relationship with MINI USA, BMW AG, or BMW of North America.All original artwork and design is Copyright © 2002-2004 North American Motoring. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: