Just a small rant - Page 2 - North American Motoring

Off-Topic Anything un-related to the new MINI. Before reading or posting to this forum be aware that discussion may become heated. You must abide by the site Posting Guidelines when making use of this forum.

Just a small rant

Old 03-20-2017, 08:45 PM

I... I don't know! (fading scream)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 PM
6th Gear

I am delighted that y'all took the hint and turned the poor OP's obvious spam into true entertainment and to move things along.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 PM

Old 04-28-2017, 09:06 AM
4th Gear

Old 04-28-2017, 09:17 AM
4th Gear

The question is flawed - the plane won't take off.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:34 AM
1st Gear

Very good response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek86 View Post
You may find answers to most of your questions by searching through the forums. My experience with forums is that if the information is already out there, people are not going to repeat themselves and clutter the forum.

You will also catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I came from the Miata world, where there is a distinct division between the first two generation (NA and NB) and the more recent two (NC and ND). The early cars are deeply enthusiast cars, massive amounts of technical information available and huge community. The latter two are owned by people who see them as appliances and take them to the shop for repairs. The information is out there but not nearly as readily available nor technically in-depth. The forums have also had multiple defections, for lack of a better way to put it. There are forums that are hard core about performance, like Miata Turbo. Some of the forums are more social, like Club Roadster. Some are old heads, like Miata.net. Go on Turbo Miata and talk about how low you want to make your Miata go, and they will run you out on a rail. Some people love it, some hate it.

The first gen MINI seems to be the cut off for a similar type of division. I've found tons of technical information and answers for my R53, but they are still new enough that they haven't been completely relegated to car people yet. When/If that happens you might see more technical forums arise that focus on maintenance and performance.
This is a very good and informative response... Thank you
Old 09-13-2017, 06:39 AM
1st Gear

I did the same thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKV View Post
I feel your frustration. I joined NAM back in 2009 when I bought my first Mini. The forum was pretty active then. I had all kinds of newbie questions and folks were amazingly responsive. Fast forward, I came back a few weeks ago after returning to Mini (bought a new F57) and I've posted several times and most posts have gone unanswered.
I left and recently came back but the Mini world that I left isn't quite the same world now... But patience and my desire to find those that will help will keep me here...
Old 09-13-2017, 07:29 AM
1st Gear

Yea but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher View Post
Less gearheads and tinkering mechanic types now. Cars are more complex so people don't get into as much. Still have lots of whiners though, no loss.
I totally agree that the world of tinkering mechanics has changed,but I think getting information changed primarily because of information sourcing ... Youtube, google etc. people don't have the same need to rely on the "community" environment anymore to get good and dependable information but I don't agree that there's no "loss" when a person becomes so frustrated that they leave the group.
I know that it's impossible to please 100% of the people 100% of the time but if a person has a legitimate gripe then helping them would seem a much better solution than being dismissive because that's doesn't seem in-line with at least the community support that I've received here in the past...

The support I got was amazing and my frustration trying to figure out a problem with my Mini was guided and understood...
It might be slow coming (As I've just come back after a long absence) but I believe that there are still "tinkering mechanics that will HELP!

Last edited by KimKat; 09-13-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:41 AM
4th Gear

It really comes down to expectations. This guy was looking for an immediate solution. If it wasn't what he wanted, he probably would've been upset anyhow.

Tinkering is largely becoming a lost pastime due to complexity of systems. When it was big, you could rejet your carbs yourself, swap parts from other cars, find what you need at a junk yard, and do projects in a weekend with simple tools. Cars now are WAY less interchangeable, require special tools, are easier to break due to plastics instead of metals, and for a lot of stuff require computer knowledge. So the knowledge sought is typically really just looking for someone who has done a particular project before you - how do you turn these bolts? Even those of us who are backyard mechanics don't know how to troubleshoot as well.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:54 AM
1st Gear

I musta been lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF-DIF View Post
I come from the Subaru world. This place is much more friendly than NASIOC.

Grow some thicker skin and don't be so expecting of strangers to provide you with lighting fast and accurate responses when it's just a hobby. Not their job.
Gosh, I must have been one of the luckiest people because when i was here before I got soooooo much help and it was immediate! People saved me thousands with their generous help and advice! My experience was amazing! I'd been referred to the group by a service advisor that worked for my local Mini dealership and I've thanked him so many times... heck, I'm still thanking him LOL If not one person helps me now I will always remember and be grateful for the times they did and the valuable information that I got from the forums!

I REALLY don't think that most people here are silly enough to think that helping people is the JOB of those that provide assistance and I think we understand that receiving a helping hand which includes accurate responses is a an honor! Nor do I get the feeling that Jose felt that way either but when you're frustrated AND NO OTHER CAR THAT I'VE OWNED HAS BEEN MORE FRUSTRATING THAN THIS FIRST GEN MINI THAT I HAVE A REAL LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH and I've owned many cars since the seventies I had a fiat in the eighties that was a diamond compared to this 2005 mini (these 1st gens were over engineered and a mechanical mess) But I can tell you from experience that you sit on the edge of your seat waiting for someone to give you something that first you can trust (because they're not trying to rip you off) and some guidance that will help you through another mess!!! because in your early days of ownership (unless you got a gem which was probably a mess for the previous owner) there will be mess after mess after mess...

So, I understand his hope that this forum would be his guiding light because light is surely what you're looking for... I just wish he would have met some of the older members and more seasoned members that would have embraced him, helped him and kept him on board...

Last edited by KimKat; 09-13-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:03 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Tinkering is largely becoming a lost pastime due to complexity of systems.
It's an interesting juxtaposition working on my Nova and my MINI.