Go Back  North American Motoring > Off Topic > Off-Topic
Laguna Seca Lap Times.... >

Laguna Seca Lap Times....

Off-Topic Anything un-related to the new MINI. Before reading or posting to this forum be aware that discussion may become heated. You must abide by the site Posting Guidelines when making use of this forum.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:13 PM
Jerome R Jr W
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been tracking my 2012 R56 for over a year now and while still stockish (K&N Air filter, Brake Upgrade, Tire Upgrade) I am now turning a avg lap time of 1:54:xx down from 2:15:xx. I just got in my new suspension and tires which go on tomorrow in prep for my next session at Laguna (jan 30) but I am curious as to what other drives are doing?!

Old 01-09-2016, 06:39 PM
rs53
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edge Motorworks over in the Bay area went 1:47 in a R50 Mini Cooper at Nasa Nationals. Good source if you need help with anything.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:42 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 195 Likes on 165 Posts
1:56 with Michelin PSS tires and upgraded suspension (see sig). That was before upgrading the brakes, though I ran EBC Yellows up front. Wish I got to the track more often.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Eddie07S
6th Gear
Received 151 Likes on 141 Posts
You will find a lot of good info about the CA tracks in this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...the-track.html

Last edited by Eddie07S; 01-11-2016 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-31-2019, 08:58 PM
WheeR53
Neutral
Absolutely grave digging here, maybe it'll gain traction this time, but I just got back home from my first Laguna day in my new to me R53! All in all, I'm blown away by this car. From NA Miata's and E36's, I thought I'd have to warm up to it, (being FWD and whatnot), and right out of the gate I was comfortable with it and I just kept piling it on and it never ever gave up grip or got twitchy. I've owned the car for about 3 weeks now and the first thing I bought for it was a trackday. For today, the only mods to the car are an intake, (unknown brand), an Alta 22mm rear bar set to full stiff, and tires, (Kuhmo V710's). Brake pads are standard street pads, still on the OEM rubber lines, and standard fluid. I never lost brakes but around the lap 5/6 mark in every session, I'd have to back up my braking points a bit, (maybe a car length at most just for peace of mind). I got faster in every session and I think I found the true limit of the stock suspension and alignment settings in the final session of the day, (seeing as the tires finally started to get slide-y afterward.) Anywho, my opening session fastest lap at 9:40AM was a 2:01.43 and I managed to get it down to a 1:55.55 in the 4:30pm session, right after 2 back to back low 1:56's. I'm incredibly happy with this car and can't believe it can pull 1:55's in basically stock form with just an RSB and tires. Definitely looking forward to the future with it! I don't have any set goals but with proper brakes, I think I can find 2-3 seconds easily, and with some bolt-ons and legit suspension, it might break into that sub-1:50 mark. Hoping to see more Mini's out there, I was the only one today!

Old 04-01-2019, 05:38 AM
Eddie07S
6th Gear
And your first post...
Welcome to NAM!
And to the wonderful wacky world of MINI Coopers. They DO have a “bad habit” of putting smiles on peoples faces....

Also fun to see that you are jumping right into tacking your car. I am headed to LRP in 6 weeks for my season opener.

My guess is that this wasn’t your first time on the track. What track background do you have?

Be careful of the RSB. It can bite you really fast in the MINI if you lift at the wrong time. Swapping ends comes quickly in these cars

I would definitely upgrade the brake pads. EBC Yellow, these are just ok in my book. Hawk has the HP+ that I liked a bit better and Hawk has a new street track pad that is a step up from the HP+. My ultimate recommendation is a set of Carbotech XP10s in front and XP8s or 10s in the rear. You will gain 5 sec just with those. There is just no comparison between a real race pad and a street pad. The race pads are confidence inspiring.

MINIs really need camber in front. A set of IE fixed plates will get you about -1.5 deg which is really nice for a street/track car.

Tires - There are a bunch of 200 wear rated tires out there that make great track tires. Bridgestone RE71Rs probably have the most grip, but wear quickly-ish... Then there are the BF Goodrich Rivals, and the Dunlop ZIIIs, and others.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:44 AM
Eddie07S
6th Gear
Here is a link to a thread that is all about one person’s fun with an R53, including mods and taking it to the track. I know it is long but he posts a lot of good info that might be helpful to you:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-project.html

Old 04-01-2019, 06:56 AM
Revolution Motor Works
Vendor
Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
I built that normally aspirated R50 engine for Edge Motorworks.......they won 2 National championships in that car. Pretty darn fast and the car was HP limited due to classing.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:52 AM
Eddie07S
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Motor Works View Post
I built that normally aspirated R50 engine for Edge Motorworks.......they won 2 National championships in that car. Pretty darn fast and the car was HP limited due to classing.
Any idea of a good MINI lap time for MINIs at this track?

Old 04-01-2019, 08:26 AM
Revolution Motor Works
Vendor
Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S View Post
Any idea of a good MINI lap time for MINIs at this track?
I've had customers lap low 1:40s in street cars with my engines on stock supercharger

Old 04-01-2019, 08:46 AM
WheeR53
Neutral

My guess is that this wasn’t your first time on the track. What track background do you have?

...Carbotech XP10s in front and XP8s or 10s in the rear. You will gain 5 sec just with those.

MINIs really need camber in front. A set of IE fixed plates will get you about -1.5 deg which is really nice for a street/track car.

Tires - There are a bunch of 200 wear rated tires out there that make great track tires. Bridgestone RE71Rs probably have the most grip, but wear quickly-ish... Then there are the BF Goodrich Rivals, and the Dunlop ZIIIs, and others.
You are correct, it wasn't my first track event, and definitely not my first day at Laguna. I live about 10 minutes from the track so I try to get out there as much as I can, but I haven't driven on track since August of 2017 so it was a really nice "welcome back".
Regarding brakes, I ordered Carbotech XP10's and 8's, they just didn't get delivered in time unfortunately, (they're scheduled for a delivery tomorrow). I also have a set of stainless steel lines and 3 bottles of RBF600 fluid so whenever my next trackday is, I'll be more than set on brakes!
Alignment was a big thing that I noticed. I started to scrub the fronts a bit towards the end of the day, mainly at the end of turn 2, the apex of 3 and the start of 10. It didn't feel like it needed much camber but I'll definitely be rolling some in, -1.5-2° sounds just about perfect!
As for tires, I'm set for a few more trackdays I think. The V710's are a grooved slick, basically a Hoosier R7 but with a slightly firmer compound, (if I remember correct), so they should last a few days unless weather gets to 85° and up and they start to get greasy lol. My go-to's were Starspec's on the Miata and RE71R's on the E36, probably gonna try the new Z3 Starspec's when the time comes.
Thanks for all the info, can't wait for my next event!

Update - my pads just arrived lol

Last edited by WheeR53; 04-01-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Pic
Old 04-01-2019, 12:58 PM
Eddie07S
6th Gear
I take it that you have used the Carbotechs in the past. MINIs love them

Here are links to the fixed and adjustable IE camber plates. My apologies; for the R53 the fixed gives -1.25 deg camber.. For the R56 the tops of the strut towers are slotted which gives another -0.3 deg which gives the -1.5 deg. The tops of the R53 strut tower can be slotted also, if you want. The thing I like about the IE fixed plates is they use a BMW part to make them from for the bearing and that makes them very roadable. They also use a steel plate that goes to the underside of the strut tower which has the side benefit of preventing the top of the strut tower from mushrooming. The downside is that it adds about 1/8” to 3/16” to the height of the car.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/irelan...e-r50-r53.html
https://www.waymotorworks.com/irelan...e-r50-r53.html

https://www.waymotorworks.com/irelan...s-r50-r53.html

Oh, do you have a Quick Fit harness for your car? It is a must with the MINI seats. They show up in the NAM marketplace periodically for a good price. Or new from HMS Motorsports. The Pro version is compatible with a HANS device.

Are you looking to keep the car somewhat stock for now? Drive it and get the feel for it, then mod it?

Old 04-01-2019, 01:06 PM
WheeR53
Neutral
I take it that you have used the Carbotechs in the past. MINIs love them

Oh, do you have a Quick Fit harness for your car? It is a must with the MINI seats. They show up in the NAM marketplace periodically for a good price. Or new from HMS Motorsports. The Pro version is compatible with a HANS device.

Are you looking to keep the car somewhat stock for now? Drive it and get the feel for it, then mod it?
I have used Carbotech's in the past. I ran mainly Carbotech's until I got a good deal on GLoc's with my Miata but Carbotech's are definitely my go-to.
I don't have a harness yet, I was actually pretty surprised with how well the stock seat held me in place, (30" waist and 6'2), but I do have a Sabelt GT140 that I'm planning on bolting in and then doing harnesses from there.
I really love the car in stock form but after the day yesterday, I really wanna see what it's fully capable of. If I do coilovers, I'm just gonna do it right the first time instead of "experimenting" with them. I have an order sheet ready to go with TCKline, just need a few more dollars lol. I have a shelf full of bolt-ons, (15% pulley, plugs, and wires), and I think that's as far as I'm gonna go with engine stuff for a while. I don't wanna push it too hard and have problems down the road.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:41 PM
Eddie07S
6th Gear
Here are few other things to consider...
- front lower control arm poly bushings (Power Flex). The MINI ones die after a while.
- check the engine mount bushing as those are noted to go.
- adjustable endlinks for the sway bars, the MINI ones have been known to fail fail under the load. The Way Motors ones are nice as they are sealed.
- with the pulley, you may want to look into whether to go with the JCW size or larger injectors too. That may not be an absolute necessity; maybe that is just with a tune. There maybe someone who is following this who can chime in about this.
- light weight wheels 15” x 8” will fit the gen I mini. Not sure of the offset (maybe 35mm to 40mm).

The Scroth Quick Fit is designed to work with the existing MINI seatbelt buckles and air bag system, the same as the stock belts, so you don’t need a 5 point harness. These are DOT legal and approved for use on the street. And they only take 2 minutes to install. Just a suggestion if you are staying with the MINI seats. If you go with a racing harness you will want a 5 point, which is tough to do with the MINI seats. Then, there are race seats to fix that little problem.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:16 PM
WheeR53
Neutral
Did another day at Laguna yesterday and managed to pull a PB in every session up to number 4. I think I really maxed the car out as my projected "perfect" lap was 1:53.25 and I ran a 1:53.32 lol. Car is actually the exact same as it was for the last event, never installed my pads, rotors, lines, pulley, seat OR harness but I'm ready to hunker down and just do it all now. Sub-50 should be pretty easy once it's all said and done! My next event is May 21st and May 29th if anyone else wants to tag along!

The following users liked this post:
weaverpsu (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 05:05 AM
Eddie07S
6th Gear
Great Picture.
I will say that getting to match the projected personal best is something I have yet to achieve. So, I must say - go you!

Do you use a coach or instructor to help with lap times?

Last edited by Eddie07S; 04-27-2019 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Fix Typo
Old 04-27-2019, 06:41 AM
WheeR53
Neutral
Great Picture.
I will say that getting to match the projected personal best is something I have yet to achieve. So, I must say - go you!

Do you use a coach or instructor to help with lap times?
Thank you and it was a first for me as well! I ran a 1:54.06 in the previous session and didn't think there was any way to improve on that and the extra second was purely in the ***** and trying to combine the all the scary parts into one perfect lap. This was done by the following -
No brakes for turn 4, SUPER late apex and early throttle in turn 5, no lift for turn 6, and no brake for turn 9.
I do not use a coach or instructor, (never have actually), I just listen to my tires and hope for the best lol.
As for the photo(s), CaliPhotography did an incredible job and I'll be posting a ton on my Instagram, https://www.instagram.com/carson_jpg/

Old 04-27-2019, 10:39 AM
Eddie07S
6th Gear
Those are a couple of nice videos you have posted. Nice apex, especially the downhill, blind apex. Looks like you hold a nice line. The Bridgestone RE71Rs make very little noise; a lot like R-comps. You’ll need to find something else to listen to if you get those.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:48 PM
WheeR53
Neutral
Those are a couple of nice videos you have posted. Nice apex, especially the downhill, blind apex. Looks like you hold a nice line. The Bridgestone RE71Rs make very little noise; a lot like R-comps. You’ll need to find something else to listen to if you get those.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures.
Yeah CaliPhoto is killer for track stuff. And thanks for the corkscrew line compliment! It was tough to adjust when the aiming tree fell over a while back but I've got it down to just following a track groove instead of pointing the car at something in the distance. Safe to say I never got it wrong all day, just went a bit too deep inside once but the car survived so all is well. As far as tires go, I think I MIGHT have one more day in the V710's and then I'll be putting the all seasons on the stock wheels and running 17s with R Comp's or slicks, depending on what I can find as far as take-offs go. I will never pay full price for new tires, absolutely not worth it imo. Plenty more adventures for me!

Edit - I'll be back out at Laguna on May 21st AND May 29th. I need more Mini's to rip with!

Last edited by WheeR53; 04-27-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:54 AM
Eddie07S
6th Gear
I was at an event and watched one of the instructors jacking up the air pressure on his Hoosiers. I asked him why, He explained that he was headed home. I then asked/stated - So you live close by? To which he responded - about 3 and a half hours... For me, I found that a set of 225/45-17 (Toyo R888s) will fit inside the MINI and I drive to the track on a set of track rain tires. However, I have found that the Gen II MINI isn’t wide-tire friendly and I will be going back to the 215s. My friends with Gen I MINIs have had success with the 225, in particular 224/45-15s on 8” wide wheels.

Hope you find some some MINI friends to run with! Also, any chance of you posting track video?

Old 04-28-2019, 06:43 AM
WheeR53
Neutral
I was at an event and watched one of the instructors jacking up the air pressure on his Hoosiers. I asked him why, He explained that he was headed home. I then asked/stated - So you live close by? To which he responded - about 3 and a half hours... For me, I found that a set of 225/45-17 (Toyo R888s) will fit inside the MINI and I drive to the track on a set of track rain tires. However, I have found that the Gen II MINI isn’t wide-tire friendly and I will be going back to the 215s. My friends with Gen I MINIs have had success with the 225, in particular 224/45-15s on 8” wide wheels.

Hope you find some some MINI friends to run with! Also, any chance of you posting track video?
That's insane! I drove my E36 home from Laguna, (10ish minutes), on R7's once and I'll never do it again lol. 225's are my goal as well, my current 710's are 215's. One of my friends has a Wilwood Dynapro BBK for all 4 corners that he's selling as well so I might just hop on that and dedicate to 17's. If not, 15's are definitely my first choice.
As far as video goes, I have never put a camera in the car but I do have a GoPro and suction cup mounts and all that stuff so there's really no reason for me not to lol. I'll make a note to get it up and running for the next event!

Old 04-28-2019, 07:05 AM
Eddie07S
6th Gear
My guess is that your friend has the 12.2” BBK, but that Dynapro BBK will fit 15” wheels. It just takes the smaller 11.75” rotor and there is a spacer on the caliper bracket that gets removed. That is it. I have 2 sets of rotors for my Wilwoods; the 11.75 for the 15” wheels I use on short tracks and the 12.2” ones for WGI.

Buy it! It will fit either wheel size.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:11 PM
WheeR53
Neutral
Definitely a slow day at the track today. No rain but the track was wet in some spots until lunch, I never even put the slicks on lol. Was able to pull sub-2's on my 340TW 2011 BFG Sport Comp 2's though. I had a bit of an oopsie in the first session in turn 4, and then in the session after lunch, I noticed a grinding noise coming from my right rear, pulled in, and found out that the lower caliper bolt had come out and the caliper was just grinding itself away against my barrel. Ran to Ace and found a replacement bolt, buttoned it up and drove it home. Fastest of the day was a 1:57.66, can't complain but it just felt like an awful day lol. I was still the only Mini out there!

Last edited by WheeR53; 05-22-2019 at 10:40 AM.