Go Back  North American Motoring > Off Topic > Off-Topic
Things you learned in school that you now know are wrong. >

Things you learned in school that you now know are wrong.

Off-Topic Anything un-related to the new MINI. Before reading or posting to this forum be aware that discussion may become heated. You must abide by the site Posting Guidelines when making use of this forum.

Things you learned in school that you now know are wrong.

Old 02-23-2004, 02:30 PM
Trippy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have lists of things my teachers taught me in school that
I now know are just flat-out wrong. How about you?

Here's one:

What do they teach as the primary colors all through school?

Red, Yellow and Blue.

But that's not right for light OR pigments.

Primary colors of light are Red, Green and Blue. (Look at any PC graphics card)
Primary colors of pigments are Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. (Look at any color printer ink cartridge)

So, why in the bajeeezus do they continue to teach Red, Yellow and Blue? :evil:

I'm sure there are other totally non-political, non controversial things we were
taught that are wrong. Anyone have their favorites?

Old 02-23-2004, 04:37 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
ever read Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen? Interestong read.

Pretty much everything pertaining to native americans in text books was false.

--
Cheese

Old 02-23-2004, 04:56 PM
inioway
6th Gear
Two things:

Crime doesn't pay.

That I would never amount to anything.

I should state that the two had nothing to do with each other in being proved wrong.

Oh, and another, that the world suddenly became a wonderful place where my history book ended describing how man had landed on the moon and was now well.

Cheese, regarding Native Americans, I broke out my hold h.s. history text to use as an illustration of the same in a class I teach. Referencing the infamous Indian Boarding Schools, they say (close paraphrase), "At the schools Indians learned new ways helpful to their adult lives."

Old 02-23-2004, 05:54 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
Paul Revere was drunk in a bar when the redcoats were coming. He didnt get his fame until 85 years later when Henry Wadsworth wrote Paul Revere's Ride. He picked Revere because it rhymed.

Old 02-23-2004, 06:15 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
I was a business major math minor.
I was constantly told how knowing and understanding Algebra, Trig, Calculus etc... that "someday you'll need this" - short of my own ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide and do fractions in my head, I've never used any of those complex formulas.

Old 02-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Trippy
Banned
Oh no, But, but, but..

I LOVE algebra, trigonometry and calculus.

I use them each and every day.

Even on Sunday, the day of rest. I do a bit of trigonometry just
to pass the time while the Folgers is a'brewin'

Old 02-23-2004, 07:11 PM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Just about EVERYTHING the nuns taught me I
now no longer believe... but then they were teaching
to a grade school level... so I guess I should cut them
some slack.

ops: (Me, in choir.)

God speed.

Old 02-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a highschool teacher (way back in the late 80's) who said that the increased use of computers would nearly eliminate our need for paper.

Turns out that the use of computers has made it possible to generate more paper print-outs than he could have possibly imagined!

Old 02-23-2004, 09:03 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
The nuns told us never to stand over water puddles with patent leather shoes on because all the boys would be able to look up our skirts
Did you guys really do that??
Tell me it isn't so!

Lois

Old 02-23-2004, 09:18 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No way would we do something so low. Besides, we were too busy looking down your shirts from the stairwell as you went down ahead of us!!

Old 02-23-2004, 09:28 PM
Gr0mit
1st Gear
My 91 year old grandmother is a Lois too. Not to suggest that you're 91, but... I suspect she would have been told the same. Some boys, well...

Cheers!

Old 02-24-2004, 03:45 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
>>No way would we do something so low. Besides, we were too busy looking down your shirts from the stairwell as you went down ahead of us!!

For some of us, the art of strategically pacing yourself well behind while going up the stairs in school during the mini skirt days will never be forgotten......only surpassed by the "hug the handrail next to the NEXT flight of stairs" trick......

Something I was taught in school and will never forgive the PRIESTS! is the fact that Sapin wal always referred toa a solid, monolithic country like France or England or Germany. My God! I was OLD by the time I realized there are Catalans with their own language!!! GRRRRRRR......

Old 02-24-2004, 06:39 AM
samawil
5th Gear
I guess having been educated in Europe (international School of Geneva) everything I was taught remains true today, :smile: although I do agree that I don't use the higher levels of Math we were taught, only the very early ones :smile:
And we didn't have US history so I don't know what it would have said about the Natives of this country.

L

Old 02-24-2004, 09:20 AM
inioway
6th Gear
One of my high school gym teachers, who loved to tell war stories unbelievable even to youth ("I fellout the bomb bay doors, but caught myself by my elbows...man, I pissed my boot over that one!&quot would get a weird look in his eyes every couple of weeks, have us put away the footballs, basketballs or whatever seasonal ***** we were using, and he would put us through military marching drills.

The lie was, "you will thank me for this. You will be ahead when they start marching you in basic training." Only a few ever needed those skills but I still amaze friends with my "right face" and other abilities.

Oh. a postscript. His poor over-ridden to be a military success was later kicked out of the Air Force Academy for cheating on exams. Sins of fathers visited on sons.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Trippy
Banned
Samawil said:
everything I was taught remains true today,
I'm curious. What did they tell you the primary colors are?

Old 02-24-2004, 10:01 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
I had my share of racial discrimination at public schools from teachers while I
grew up. Some teachers were great, but there were a few that would ruin it.

It was tough back in the 70's and 80's.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Phobol
4th Gear
Show any 5th grader Magenta and he/she will say RED, show them Cyan and they will say BLUE. In fact, Cyan. Magenta and Yellow are not true primary. CMYK is used for printing only. They are translucent, and act like filter against the white paper. In a painting (i.e. school art class) Red, Blue and Yellow remain true as Primary Colors. RGB is true for light emmiting devices, like Monitors and TVs.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:39 AM
Senator_Rude
3rd Gear

Any thing in History class regarding native americans and Isreal.

This stuff about Isreal really pisses me off. Nothing about the ship the St. Louis or the USS Liberty.

I'd really like to get my hands on a current High School history book to see how much crap falls out when you shake it.

Oh Oh Oh! and the Biggest lie every teacher/person of power told me. "if you ignore them, they will stop/go away"

what a load of crap that was.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Trippy
Banned
>>Show any 5th grader Magenta and he/she will say RED, show them Cyan and they will say BLUE.

I belive that is true. Why don;t we use the correct names then?

>> In fact, Cyan. Magenta and Yellow are not true primary.

There are many sites that disagree with you, and say that CMY are the only true
primary pigment colors.

Colors
Colors

>> CMYK is used for printing only. They are translucent, and act like filter against the white paper.
>>In a painting (i.e. school art class) Red, Blue and Yellow remain true as Primary Colors.

People disagree with you on that statement also.

See what a school can do to a person;s understanding of something this simple?

More refs:
Color site
The definition of a primary color is:

1) a primary color cannot be produced by mixing two colors together.

2) The primary colors are combined to produce all hues.

Using the above definition of primary colors, let's see if red, yellow and blue are, indeed, primary colors. We know that yellow paint cannot be formed by combining other pigments. That's intuitive. But how about red and blue? A few quick experiments with color printing can prove that blue is made from equal amounts of cyan and magenta and red is made from equal amounts of yellow and magenta. So by our definition, red and blue cannot be primary colors because they can be made by mixing other pigments. When we mix red, blue, and yellow, we get a very limited number of dark colors. (This can be especially frustrating for elementary art educators using tempera paint to teach color mixing). On the other hand, mixing cyan, magenta, and yellow gives us a huge range of colors. For proof, take a look at color printed pages, such as a magazine, a colored page in a newspaper, or your own color printer. All of these use mixtures of cyan, magenta, and yellow to make all of the other colors. The correct primary colors of pigment are, therefore, cyan, magenta, and yellow and not red, yellow, and blue. The correct secondary colors, made by mixing the primaries, are red, green, and blue. (Green is made by mixing cyan and yellow.)

By now you might be thinking, "that's fine for printing and photography, but it's different for paint." The truth is, however, that color theory is the same for printing, photography, and paint. Confusion arises from the fact that people call cyan either light or sky blue or turquoise even though it should be regarded as a distinct color. And magenta is sometimes considered a purple-red or a dark red when it is not. Magenta is a color distinct from red or purple.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Phobol
4th Gear
According to the sources you provided, it's more of a language problem than the color problem. I agree with you now, however, when painting, if I need to get Magenta, I add white to red and a hint of blue.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:18 PM
5280Motoring
5th Gear
"When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school
It's a wonder I can think at all"

--Paul Simon

Someone had to quote it.

Izzy is an '03 MCS, with PP, CWP. It's BRG on BRG. I know, BFD.

Visit the Pool Cleaners from Distant Planets

Old 02-24-2004, 01:19 PM
GRENDEL
3rd Gear
O.k. all these theories are talking about appearance under white light. ( correct me if I'm wrong) but don't we have a yellow sun, which would perceptably change the spectrum from white light? like if we had a red sun our color spectrum would be totally different. ( I seem to remember this from science class in high school)

additionally on light. I took a class on laser safety. We took different color lasers and were burning color out of magazine advertisments it would leave the other colors undamaged and the paper undamaged, but only burn out the absorbed colors

Old 02-24-2004, 02:29 PM
samawil
5th Gear
>>
Samawil said:
>>everything I was taught remains true today,
>>
>>I'm curious. What did they tell you the primary colors are?
>>

Ok...I have to admit that I was not always paying attention, and the first color things I remember (other than the little blocks that helped us know the color names and how to count) was in Physics when we started shining lights through prisms and seeing the rainbow.
Incidently, the blocks were really cool. Each color was of a different size so that the 1cmx1cmx1cm cube was white and 1x1x2 was red etc... it's useful because when it came to learning English, Spanish, German, Italian, or French, they would revert back to the cubes... I didn't like it at first, and that's wy I quit German, but when I think of it, it was a good idea, so looking back, this is something that I thought was wrong, but turned out to be right :smile:

L

Old 02-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Trippy
Banned
Sunlight is white for all practical purposes.
It's almost the definition of white light.

Yes, we do refer to our sun as "Yellow", but that's in reference
to the color-temperature of other stars.

Old 02-24-2004, 04:39 PM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
http://science.howstuffworks.com/light4.htm

Just doing some research for everyone

Quick Reply: Things you learned in school that you now know are wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: